“Great Mexican in a casual setting”
Review of Casa Margarita - CLOSED

Casa Margarita
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Casa Margarita lies in the heart of The Hunter Valley’s bustling wine country, on the grounds of world-renowned, Harkham Windarra Winery. Casa Margarita combines the simplicity of authentic family recipes with fresh, high-quality ingredients to bring diners unparalleled, delectable Mexican cuisine in a charming, turn of the century cantina setting.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We came here for dinner with friends last saturday. We were very happy with the food and we had a long chat with the owner who was telling us about how they make their own corn chips, salsa, guacamole and even their own mexican chorizo (as you can't buy it in Australia). The service was very friendly and the food was delcious - we had the taquitos and nachos for entree, burritos and enchiladas for main and churros for dessert. All meals were amazing but the nachos were a real highlight for me - very fresh!

Not really sure what some of the other reviews were expecting... I'm a local and came here on the recommendation of other locals. It's great authentic Mexican food with an amazing view and without the pretentious vineyard restaurant vibe.

We will definitely be coming back again!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

A a person who LOVES Mexican- I was delighted to be meeting a large group of friends for a meal here- Safe to say Mexican is an explosion of flavours, multiple components and textures... unfortunately the menu just didn't meet my expectations. It SOUNDED good but the flavour was just flat- not bland but it didn't make me want to come back. The owners were good fun but that will not get my return business nor my recommendation. The only one in the Valley and just not worth going off the beaten track for.

1  Thank HelenBarbour33
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Went here on a Tuesday night, the first taco night of their new promotional venture. Upon arrival the wait staff and then the manager (take your bluetooth earpiece off mate) didn't know about the promotion. We showed them the Facebook page with the promotion and he laughingly stated that someone else must have posted that. We then asked for the drink menu but this had been removed because they didn't know how to make anything other than Margarita. I had a beer.
Guacamole is twelve bucks for two salad serving spoon fulls, tasty but.
Other food was thrown together and oily.

I get it that this place is new and a little bit out of the way so might not always be busy, but it kinda seems they aren't fully focused on making it work. Not checking their own Facebook page is crazy evidence of this. There was a good crowd there on the Tuesday night so potential is there but I you gotta live up to your claims and not get your mates to post fake 5 star reviews on Trip Advisor

2  Thank Dave D
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My partner and I visited back in early December and thought it was fine though we weren't thrilled. However, some dishes were nice and the service was great (Tamara I think) so after reading about their $3 taco and half price margarita night on their facebook page, we thought we'd give them another go.

It didn't start off great - we sat down and the waitress mentioned nothing about the taco night so we enquired. She was new and knew nothing about it (hmmm) and then a gentleman came over (I assume it was the owner) and asked us if we wanted to order anything so we had to ask again about the taco night. Frustrating. He knew nothing about it and his response was 'so that's why we've been getting a lot of calls today'. I showed him the facebook post and he confirmed it was their page and there must of been some communication breakdown with the manager. That's a fairly specific communication breakdown...

Anyway, he did the best he could with the situation and offered us the 'Street Taquitos' ($18) which came with 3 chorizo taquitos and 3 marinated pork taquitos. Arrived cold and fairly bland. Coriander doesn't fix everything!

We also ordered a quesadilla ($14) not realising there were 3 options until later. We were not told about these and just received a chicken one. Average at best. Lastly, we ordered some tortillas with guacamole - probably the nicest thing we had though too expensive for what you get.

Another thing to note is that last time we received complimentary tortilla chips and salsa to start which was a lovely touch and this time we received none (and only some tables got this when I looked around...inconsistent!!).

Unfortunately, the experience was even worse than the first time in all areas. What happened?!

Not 'authentic' Mexican as the website suggests. Pity as they have a great location and a beautiful view.

As locals, we like to support our local businesses but sadly, we won't be visiting Casa Margarita again and certainly won't be recommending it to anyone (which is a shame as I also work in hospitality!).

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

It feels bad to write a review like this. It was recommended on the huntervalley website so we decided to try it. The service was poor. One girl with tables that were dirty she needed help. The ice machine was broken and it was about 37 degrees out so no margaritas or even ice water. We waited so long for our food. Then she brought out the wrong food. My poor husband was ready to eat whatever. We got our meals and the portions were half the size. Needless to say we had to get another meal after. The price was ridiculous for what we got.