“Perfect spot for a leisurely lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Muse Kitchen

Muse Kitchen
Reserve with
Muse Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 73 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle
“Perfect spot for a leisurely lunch”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Food was beautiful and the service was fantastic. My wife and I took my mother there for lunch last weekend on a sunny Saturday arvo. Had the pate and prosciutto starters and my wife had the prawns. Very generous portion sizes. We then had the gnocchi, jewfish and a burger for lunch. Though my wife thought the fish slightly underdone the rest of the meals were faultless. Will be back.

East Maitland, Australia
“5 star lunch”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My partner and I dined at muse kitchen today for the lunch. The food was outstanding as was the personal friendly service.
Stand out dish was the potato gnocchi with mushrooms and pecorino.
We have previously dined at muse on numerous occasions and were pleased to see that the professional service and approach to food and dining as a whole carries across to Troy and Megan's second restaurant. Keep up the great work guys!!

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Arrogant and Rude Service”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Although Muse Kitchen might be one of Hunter Valley region’s finest restaurants poor customer service can sour any good meal or good reputation and this is exactly my experience with Muse Kitchen.

We recently took a visitor from New York to Muse Kitchen, when we arrived at 2pm to have a late lunch and despite over 50% of the tables were empty we were turned away. When we asked about the empty tables the waiter (he had red hair and I think his name was James) said in a very rude tone they are reserved, I looked at the time and seeing a few people appeared to be almost finished I politely asked if we could wait and he replied saying that there might be a table available at around 2:30 to 3pm, I looked at him with utter shock and mentioned that the sign clearly says they close at 3 and he said yes. The way this waiter spoke to us was appalling and if anything he came across as an arrogant smart aleck.

But our appalling experience does not end here. As an experienced digital expert my friend from New York tweeted her poor experienced but rather than receiving any sort of apology for the poor service we received we were told by Muse Kitchen’s Head Chef and Owner Troy that we failed to make a reservation, I replied to this tweet and indicated reservation is one thing but it is the rude waiter’s tone that was our problem, this tweet was later responded to by another chef (assuming a contact or friend of Troy’s) called Garreth who on his profile is a Sous Chef at Bistro Molines kept pressing (not once but twice) that us as the customers were at fault for not making a reservation.

Regardless of how good a restaurant’s food it appears that both chef’s involved (Troy from Muse and Garreth from Bistro Molines) don’t seem to understand that as a customer I can spend my money dining anywhere and first impressions are very important. If you can’t fit me in no problems, but there is absolutely no need to act rude or arrogant about it, I’m much more likely to make a future reservation at your restaurant if you’re polite about it.

Despite having dined at Muse before I will never return to any Muse dining venues because if the owner or chef does not value the importance of good polite service in today’s competitive market we as customers will go elsewhere. The finest dining experience a chef can create is when good food is complimented by good service and from the tweets which were just as arrogant as the waiter in person I have concluded that neither Troy or Garreth understands the value of service.

10 Thank ElbeKo
rhoades-brown, Owner at Muse Kitchen, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Elbeko,
In response to your review of Muse Kitchen. I wish to point out the following-
Upon your arrival there was one table vacant in the dining room and five tables vacant in our courtyard. All of these tables were reserved for our 2:30 and 3pm reservations.
In regards to our closing time of 3pm, this time indicates our last seating times. This is standard practice for all restaurants when stating their operating hours. Our closing time in when our last guests depart.
After James explained that all of our tables were reserved a member of your group returned and pulled James from a table of guests to insist that we had room to seat you. I do apologise if James was too direct at this point. But please understand we would have liked nothing more than to be able to accommodate you.
Following this event the collective social media bullying which consisted of 7 tweets and 2 internet posts, one of which the company refused to post due to the damaging intentions seems to be one step too far.
It is paramount that the service we give is exceptional, myself included, it is the foundation of Muse Dinings success. With this expectation comes added pressure. Consequently James has decided to resign after 3 years. It is reviews such as these that force professionals to lose their passion for the industry. I truly hope you dine at Muse again and experience our great food and dining culture.
Sydney, Australia
“Cannot fault this place”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The staff could not have been more helpful. The food was exceptional. Great value wine on offer too. specials included mainly seafood which attests to the freshness of their produce. Attention I detail on the plate was well received. The restaurant was full, but they looked after our large table beautifully.

Sydney, Australia
“Lots of build up but let us down”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Arrived at Muse Kitchen by helicopter, and no one came to great us ... maybe I expected too much. Lovely location, picture perfect, however the flies were bad and even with an inside table, there seemed to be nothing done to allieviate the problem flies buzzing around food and drinks.

My partner ordered the special, Red Emperor. Unfortunately the fish batter was dark and looked rather oily, and the chips were so fried that you couldn't taste the potatoe. I ordered gnoochi, which was melt in the mouth, but no flavour, lacked seasoning. In all the cooking shows I see they say "season, season season" .. this had a distinct lack of flavour. So given the hatted restaurant, was a big let down.

The staff were constantly struggling with the sliding doors going into and out of the restaurant to serve the people seated outdoor. The flies were coming in and out too. We had a table inside near the door, so it was rather annoying having to watch the staff with loaded plates struggle with the doors to keep the shut. You would think they may install auto doors.

The service was good and friendly, but I was so looking forward to dining at Muse Kitchen having heard so much about it, but was let down. Perhaps the fish batter and chips were meant to be dark and oily, but I have been led to believe that if the batter is dark the oil is old. Gnocchi with mushrooms and pancetta, could have been a lot better .. but then again perhaps I know nothing about food .. but I did pay the bill.

Visited March 2013