Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Nice rooms.

All times I have stayed have a had a room on the ground floor with a lovely outlook, perfect for afternoon wines.

Nice pool area, restaurant and cocktail bar.

The location is fantastic, right near the HVG and in the middle of pokolbin.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ebony H

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed recently for business and found it a nice hotel to stay in. Breakfast was pretty standard fare but nothing to complain about. Hotel staff were polite and accommodating and the conference centre area and staff were all good.
Hotel room was clean and tidy with a nice bathroom and comfortable bed. We had some great dinners around the place and enjoyed some good wines.
My only issue is that as a frequent traveller and someone who likes to keep fit, having to pay for use of the gym was a bit much. In today's modern hotels this should be something that remains free,even if it is privately owned.
Overall not bad and would go again if needed.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debradossantos
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our experience of the Winter Warmer package.
From the beginning..
Reception staff seemed knowledgable and had great customer service.
Upon finding our room and entering our suit we were a little shocked as to the dissimilarity between the pictures advertised on their website and what we were actually presented with. It was definitely not as sweet as one would imagine.... The pictures depicted artwork on the walls and flowers on the mantle above the fireplace. The pictures also showed the wonderful carpet rugs under the dining area and in front of the fire place. The pictures really had my expectations up as I was imagining sitting in front of the fire place on the carpet with my fiancé eating our complimentary fondue.
Unfortunately our room was not as pictured. We did not have any artwork, in fact the walls were bare. There was holes where picture hooks clearly were in the past. The mantle piece was also bare. The only carpet in the "suite" was in the bedroom area.
I was a little annoyed about it all but was going to live with it. I was going to make a coffee with the complimentary coffee machine and sit on the bed watching some television for a bit. To my surprise there was no coffee in the machine or anywhere else. I did not notice at the time but the machine milk frother had not been cleaned either. The coffee situation was fixed by the room service lady in 20 minutes, so Kudos to her for the prompt service.
Ah but it is not over yet, the TV in the bedroom was missing too! Yes totally unaccounted for.
So I couldn't have a cuppa or watch the telly so I was going to open up the roman blinds and read a book whilst my fiancé got ready to go out. Once again to my shock, the blinds were broken, only 2 of the 8 slats were functional, with the rest of them broken!
I ended up going to reception to speak to the on duty supervisor as even though we only paid $250 for the night, I think we deserved what was advertised. Initially we spoke to the reception staff that we spoke with during check in. Once again she was ever so kind and she very promptly got the on duty manager for us to speak to.
I explained my total disappointment about the room not being the same as the one in the pictures. The managers response about the carpet was initially " It may of been put in there just for the pictures, to make it look better" I explained that was ridiculous and I wanted the same standard that was advertised to which the response was " I will see if there is another one of those suites available for you with carpet, maybe the carpet had something spilt on it and it was taken out". Now not that that is my fault, I thought it was fair enough. The manager said they would ring us in our room within the next 30 minutes.
The manager was adamant that there is certainly a television in our room and it may be hidden in a cupboard on a slide out tray, admittedly, I had not checked this yet so I waited until I got back to the room. Well, when I got back I checked everywhere, definitely no television.
We received a phone call stating we were being upgraded to a presidential suite. Upon arrival at this suite I had to laugh, this was the exact suite they used for the Winter Warmers photographs.

However, the roman blinds were also broken, the ceiling rain shower head was 2/3rds blocked, but was still good.

The fondue was very nice, however they could make it better by warming the chocolate appropriately before delivery, instead of having to microwave it.

The fireplace being methanol was also not the best, the radiant heat dispersed after about 30cm, being a -1 degree night we had to leave the air conditioning on also.
In the morning we had our breakfast, it was very nice indeed, no faulting their buffet at all.

I would give them overall maybe a 2.5 out of 5 due to the initial faults. I am not convinced to stay there again. We have used other Mercure resorts in the past but this place just didn't hit the mark.

Room Tip: No fire place is wood, they are all fuel fires. Rooms long the front have a little bit of road no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CC_Tourism_Journal
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very spacious, comfortable rooms, well appointed, but ....... $4 for 15 minutes of Wi-Fi and not in-room when most of the competition is free. Buffet breakfast was quite comprehensive. Staff very helpful and friendly. Close to the Gardens and Village and a few wineries.

1  Thank PhredNerk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
1 mi away
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Mercure Resort Hunter Valley Gardens? Share your experiences!