We stayed here 3 years ago on a previous visit to the Hunter Valley, On that occasion we stayed in a room, basic, but very comfortable. Restaurant decor OK, food good.
This time, we were travelling with friends so stayed in a lodge for 2 nights. This was also very basic, with uncomfortable seating, it felt more like camping. Maybe just a rug on the floor would help, or a bit of colour somewhere would stop it looking and feeling less drab. No problem with brown water, this is to be expected in this area, and a jug of clear drinking water is provided in the fridge.
The restaurant was a joke, it looks now more like a stop on a motorway for lorry drivers. The seating again is old and tatty, the numerous, and I mean numerous cushions, are dirty and ripped. Best if they were removed altogether. The food - dinner was expensive, and at best - OK. Breakfast was something else - we walked into the restaurant, sat down at an already set table, and were told to move, these were set out for dinner. We were told to pick an empty table AND SET IT OURSELVES. This is an absolute disgrace, at the prices they charge (we paid £210 that's = AUD350) per night for B&B for the lodge, they should do much better. Breakfast is serve yourself from the buffet????
Only 1 member of staff seen for approx 2 mins in total on either morning.
More worrying though is the overall state of the place externally, it looked dirty and neglected, as if they were running down ready for closure. This was February, hardly out of season. The few other guests there we spoke to were equally disappointed,and complaining ( they were from Sydney)
Later on in the trip we stayed in Margaret River, visited a few wineries, and they were dramatically different,really superb!!!! Hunter Resort - do your guests a favour, it's really time to renovate and clean the place up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything you are looking for in the Hunter - all at the one resort...* Onsite daily vineyard tours at 9am* Hunter Wine Theatre daily at 11am and 2pm* Adventure Centre has horse & carriage tour, Horse riding, Segway tours and Electric bike hire * Matilda Bay Brewhouse (12 craft beers) * Winetasting Cellars with 34 wines * Hunter Valley Wine School * Fantastic food from our Restaurant * Board games, pool table, 3km walking track * Heavenly Hunter Massage Centre * Pool, tennis, heated spa * Wonderful rooms featuring timber cathedral ceilings * Situated within our own 40 year old vineyards * Owned and operated by the Hele family * And within minutes of the resort... 3 championship golf courses including Cypress Lakes and The Vintage, The Hunter Valley Gardens, cafes, restaurants, hot air ballooning, cheese factories, a chocolate factory, antique stores, a whole shopping village, 3 pampering / massage businesses and over 140 wineries to visit! Or if you prefer, just sit back, relax and finish that book you have been promising to do... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hunter Valley Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Resort Pokolbin
- Hunter Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Valley Resort Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin