“The great Hunter Valley Resort”

Hunter Valley Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Mudgeeraba, Australia
“The great Hunter Valley Resort”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

WOW what a great find!

Well located in the Hunter Valley . We stayed two nights and really should have stayed a couple more to further explore area.
Right from reception the staff were helpful; Our rooms were very nicely serviced each day , the bed was firm and comfortable - This is my main concern when travelling so was not disappointed.

It was very convenient to go to the Bluetongue Cafe Bar for relaxing both in the morning with a proper coffee a read of the free papers or at the end of the day.

I also enjoyed the rolling uninterrupted views of vines from outside our room as happy to sit down after a busy day of wine tasting .We took the full day bus tour and learnt that the more expensive wined did not leave that hang over feeling.

Just have to go back and stay again at the Hunter Valley Resort so we can really get into the Hunter Valley region.

Room Tip: no need all look the same
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
philiphele, Owner at Hunter Valley Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for your great review. Much appreciated. Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hunter!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Curlewis, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Everything seemed too good to be true when I booked and paid for my wedding accommodation and reception to be held at casuarina in 2010. I paid for our reception in full, as I did with the accommodation ($1600 for 3 rooms over 2 nights which was worth more than my wedding dress!!) Debbie was the restaurant manager at the time and when I made an impromptu visit to casuarina to go over wedding reception and menu details, I was informed that Debbie resigned from her job as restaurant manager and had taken off with my entire payment for my wedding reception food and drinks. I had no help from the owners of casuarina with trying to locate Debbie. They didn't even want to give me the name of her solicitor. I ended up having to threaten to publish in every hunter valley news paper how she took my money and did a runner. Thankfully Debbie finally contacted me before my final warning was taken to print. The owner of the place was always "too busy" to discuss my wedding plans and I ended up moving our reception to Hunter Resort. (best move we ever made, I can't recommend this place enough!!) we decided to keep our accommodation that we booked (moulin rouge, French bordello and Italian bordello) at casuarina because our wedding was on 10.10.10 and there was nothing else available in the hunter valley for this date. We had 11 weeks to replan our entire wedding reception because of this. I had to resend my invitations and it was humiliating and not to mention an expensive task to have them all remade again with the new reception details. When we arrived the day before the wedding, there was no complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates in the honeymoon suite as promised. There was cruty old sperm on the valance of the bed in the French room. There was a $2 in the sheets in the moulin rouge room, so they clearly had not washed or changed the sheets in a while. We locked ourselves out of one room by accident on our wedding day and the owner would not help us by giving us a master key. She basically told us that she had already gone above and beyond her duty to us because we had asked if 2 of the beds could be remade for us as we were giving the rooms to different family members for different nights of our compulsory 2 night booking. I would never recommend this place to anybody. I will never forget how casuarina came so close to ruining what should have been the happiest time of my life. All I have to look at now is photos of the rooms and the constant reminder of how unwelcome we were made to feel once we swapped our reception to a new venue. Its no surprise the place has so many bad reviews. I wished I read them all before I booked my wedding. So brides and grooms, please be aware. If you want a perfect fairy tale day.... Go to hunter resort instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
24 Thank TheZedFamily
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed as part of the groupon deal.
The reception staff where efficient, check in took 5 min if that, our room was easy to get to and was clean, bed was comfortable.
We did the vine tour and then went onto the wine tasting.. Was the first time I had done one and I was stoked. The guys that did it knew their s**t, they knew so much about each and every wine it was awesome! Even after the tasting, we went to the cellar door and they where great for the hour we spent trying to make our minds up on what wines to buy (there was no pressure to buy either). They delivered it to our room, we went over the road and brought some yummy cheeses, sat out on our balcony, ate cheese and drank some wine.
We had dinner at the restaurant saint martinos.. Food was delicious, extremely quick to the table, and we where blown away at the price too.. Very good prices, and good service from restaurant staff also.
We had a few drinks in the brewery bar after dinner. Chatted with other guests, played some pool. Bar staff we great!

I don't know what some people have complained about in other reviews, we had a fantastic time, any trip to anywhere is what you make of it, but we have no complaints about any of it.

We are definately going to go back and do it all again (maybe when this hang over subsides)

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here for a night when we went up there for a concert. The checkin staff were lovely and managed to have our room ready early. We had lunch at the Blue Toungue Brewery Cafe on site which was pleasant but I felt a bit expensive. We then did some wine tasting and took a bottle back to the room to enjoy.
There was a shuttle bus that picked us up directly from the hotel and dropped us back at the end of the concert.
The rooms are a good size. We had four adults in a room with a queen bed and a rollaway bed that added on to the single bed in the room to make a double. The rooms were clean.
There is a pool and BBQ area on site but we did not get a chance to use them on this stay.
The hotel seems to be a bit of a drive into nowhere but it is actually an ideal base for wine tasting or other things to do in the area.
We found it was good value for money. Don't let the poor reviews that others had posted dissuade you from booking this hotel. We would consider staying again next time.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your honesty. You must come back and try our new menu at Bluetongue. Totally different now!
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Pleasant resort which will be improved when gardens are more mature. Friendly staff. Spacious chalet room let down by initial impression with entrance door and bathroom door sharing small space with fridge, shelf and double wardrobe. If staying long recommend you move the wardrobe further into the room! Good dinner in restaurant - but Botanica just up the road is more refined.
Unable to connect to their (pay) WiFi most of time as relies on mobile signal.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. We rebooted the Wifi system and all is working. Thanks for the constructive feedback!
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed two nights. Checkin/Checkout handled efficiently. Friendly, helpful staff. Clean comfy air conditioned room, good amenities - tennis court, swimming pool, bbq area, restaurant, wine cellar/theatre etc though wouldn't call it a "resort". Location was great - close to other restaurants, wineries, Hunter Valley Gardens which currently have a spectacular Christmas light show.

Room Tip: Hunter rooms were attached cabins with both front and back entrance had own balcony.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charmagne175
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed two nights with Groupon voucher. First time in the Hunter Valley. Stayed in spa cottage. Lovely outlook over country pastures. Pleasant little balcony. We actually liked the unpretentious exterior facilities with modern interior appointments - 'a diamond in the rough'. Bed was very comfortable. Furnishings suited the room, spa worked well. Linen all clean & fresh. Didn't get time to use tennis, horses, pool. Cost of accommodation was reasonable compared to the amount of money spent at Hunter Valley restaurants and cellar doors. We'd come back if we found a similar discount again.

Room Tip: Recommend cottages over regular rooms. They overlook country pastures with a little more privacy &am...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Hunter Valley Resort? Share your experiences!