As I had a functions to attend in the Hunter and my preferred accommodation was fully booked I reserved at Spicers for 2 nights. My initial contact with the resort was very positive and they went out of their way to be helpful and anticipate my needs. I received a phone call in the week before my arrival to warn me not to be alarmed when I arrived to see builders and earth moving equipment as they are enlarging the resort. I was not informed of this when I made the booking and there was some noise on Friday afternoon but the weekend was generally peaceful.
The property itself is attractive but a little soulless; the rooms are large and comfortably furnished with nice linens and fluffy pillows.
Prior to checking in we were ushered into the Guest lounge but it was not really somewhere you would want to linger.
Breakfast was included in the package yet it was probably a little too ambitious which meant that it was somewhat unsatisfactory. There was a cereal buffet then a sort of degustation of various elements which were all placed on the table at once, whether you wanted them or not. The hot dishes arrived just as you were eating your cereal and you were directed to eat it up before it got cold. By day 2 we had wised up and ordered eggs to our liking and hold the pastries and tired fruit plate.
Others have remarked on the candles and the ambiance on turn down when lots of tea lights were lit in your room, I was not particularly enamored of the fragrance which pervaded the hotel but this is merely a personal preference.
On the plus side they very kindly organised a car to take us to one of our functions and as we left presented us with a packet of biscotti for the trip home.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Personal service & attention to detail in every way! A luxurious Guesthouse, Spicers Vineyards Estate is set amidst its own private vineyard. Every suite features king beds, lounge area, open fireplace, spa en-suite, flat screen TV with CD/DVD and IPod dock, whilst the property boasts gourmet dining experiences at onsite Restaurant Botanica, Salt water pool & spa, guest lounge & boardroom, free wireless broadband and every guest is greeted on arrival with complimentary wine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Spicers Vineyards Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spicers Vineyards Estate Hotel Pokolbin
- Vineyards Estate Pokolbin
- Vineyards Estate Hotel Pokolbin
- Spicers Vineyards Estate Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin