“Best place in The Hunter”
Review of Tower Lodge

Tower Lodge
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My second stay at Tower Lodge was even better than my already incredible first stay. The management has changed, there are a lot of new staff and all are operating at a 5* level that would not be out of place in the very top hotels of the world.

There are only 12 rooms here and all are beautifully appointed with huge amounts of space whilst remaining comfortable and cosy. The decor has a South American feel to it which lends itself beautifully to the surrounding area and keeps the rooms cool (we were there in the middle of a heatwave!)

Breakfast was delicious although my only gripe would be that hot breakfast was not included in the bed & breakfast rate and this was not explained on booking - something that needs to be looked at. Other than that, everything was beautifully made, beautifully fresh and served by wonderful staff.

We were also lucky enough to eat at the superb Nine restaurant within the main Lodge, which I was not able to do on my first stay, and we were blown away. The 7 course degustation menu was a joy at every course; the setting in a tiny cellar made it extra special and, again, the service was awesome with Jonno the Maitre d' looking after us perfectly.

Only other gripe was the lack of internet in the rooms although it was mentioned that they are working on this ASAP so I'm sure it won't be long until this is sorted.

The wines at Tower Estate are delicious - we fell in love with the 2012 Chardonnay - so make sure you also go down to the Cellar Door.

Can't recommend highly enough and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 11 has an amazing high ceiling and room 6 has a nice view of the Cellar Door and surrounding vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
SeanByrne1, General Manager at Tower Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Emily,

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us, even more so than the first!

I am glad that you spoilt yourself with a trip to dining ecstasy in nine too, I completely agree with you that it "Blows you away", it is an experience to remember and I love the intimacy that nine offers.

I can also give you an update on the internet too, you will be happy to know that this is now fixed! Those wonderful thick walls that make the rooms so cool in summer and warm in winter don't like to let the internet through, but we have resolved this issue now, sorry for any inconvenience this caused during your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again soon, if you were wanting a winter getaway we have some amazing wine specials on at the moment to tempt you, and with the fire crackling away in your lounge room, what more could you ask for!

Regards

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Where to start? The fantastic location? The wonderful staff? The great food at the associated restaurant next door? The superb rooms? I search long and hard for a complaint. The worst I can offer is that the wifi is a bit feeble (although they say they are working on it.) I am a demanding customer but Tower Lodge has gone right into my list of the best places I have ever been fortunate enough to hang my hat. Nothing is too much trouble for the team at Tower Lodge. It is impossible to imagine you could make a demand they could not meet. Bravo to all!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Holly S, General Manager at Tower Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear senechaldubaron.

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of Tower Lodge. The entire team are honestly focused on looking after our guests and providing exceptional experiences. Reviews such as yours not only offer the staff an insight into our guests visit, but create a desire to ensure that all guests depart feeling they have had a unique experience.

The wifi situation will be fixed in the next week or so with the rollout of a new phone system and the recent completion of fibre optic cabling throughout the entire estate.

I hope to welcome you back to Tower Lodge soon - where there will always be a place for you to hang your hat!

Cheers,

Sean

Reviewed December 17, 2012

A beautiful 12 room hotel, quiet, all rooms with distinctive features, good pool, small gym, helpful staffand great breakfast choices.
On the downside, as a wedding party we filled the hotel which meant the staff, although very helpful and pleasant, were extremely stretched. We got the impression they were used to much lower occupancy. A 1 hour wait for breakfast order or the receptionist doubling up as waitress and bartender as well as porter and chauffeuse tells you everything about her commitment and the need for more resources especially when you're paying $450 per night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear chriswoodbear,

Thank you for your great review of Tower Lodge.

All the staff at Tower Estate and Roberts Restaurant enjoyed looking after your family and friends whilst you stayed with us.

I agree that the staff at Tower Lodge are very much committed and helpful. Being such a small property the front of house staff wear a variety of 'hats' which sees them driving guests around the property, serving drinks in the evening and helping with the service of breakfast.

As was noted to your party during your stay, we were conscious and very disappointed, that there were delays with your breakfast on two occasions. I should mention that the delay with the service of your breakfast was not due to the staff being 'extremely stretched' but a problem in the kitchen that has since been rectified. It is very pleasing to hear that you found the breakfast menu great considering the delay.

I trust you had a safe trip home and a fantastic Christmas and New Year.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Tower Lodge when you next visit.

Cheers,

Sean

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've stayed at Tower roughly 3 times over the last 3 or so years and each time I never want to leave. Sean Byrne (the new general manager) is more than hospitable. The rooms are always clean and tidy and the furniture is beautiful. It's always peaceful and private. I can't wait to get back there over the summer!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean B, General Manager at Tower Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Rose,

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to welcome you back to Tower Lodge recently. As you are aware there have been a number of changes at Tower Estate over the last few months, and it is fantastic to know that you continue to enjoy your Tower Estate experience.

Our aim is to create a unique experience that guests will want to revist over and over again, and it seems we have delivered on our promise to you once again.

Summer is definately going to be a hot one, so make sure you pack your swim wear to lounge around by the pool over looking the vines, and maybe even a massage or cocktail by the pool!

We all look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend there (17 & 18 November) and had a great time. Our room was spacious, eclectic (with the Oriental furnishings) and service first class - loved the breakfasts too overlooking a very peaceful courtyard. Our suite also had a great big outdoor bathtub - point of note on the downside was the somewhat ineffective sauna.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean B, General Manager at Tower Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Tower Lodge.

The Oriental Suite is a favourite of mine too - the outdoor tub is truly unique. I am very pleased to hear you found the service first class. As a member of Relais & Chateaux we pride ourselves on offering first class service and really try to ensure we go out of our way to look after our guests. With the advent of summer and the warmer weather the service of breakfast in the courtyard adds another dimension to the various dining locations on offer with-in and around the Lodge.

I note we had an issue with the sauna over the weekend and apologise we were not able to fix the problem until early this week.

I hope to welcome you again to the Lodge and am really pleased you had a wonderful anniversary weekend.

All the best.

Sean Byrne

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Tower estate is still great . Yes, Andreas and some staff have left. Andreas will be a hard act to follow. However, after meeting Sean Byrne, new General Manager, I can say there in good hands. Went to NINES last night, food exceptional. Jonathan , the maitre de Madison , who you call Jono, is friendly and knows his stuff. Rooms are still great, breakfast menu is good. Tower is experiencing a change-over period, but so far, it's still one of the best places to stay.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lawrence.

Your positive feedback, and kind words, are very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to meet and chat with you during your recent stay at Tower Lodge.

I'm thrilled to hear that Tower Lodge consistently delivers a memorable experience. I agree that the food on offer in Restaurant Nine is exceptional and personally feel that Executive Chef George Francisco has put together a menu unrivalled in the Hunter Valley; couple that with the wonderful service provided by Jonothan and his staff and Nine really is a unique dining experience all must enjoy.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Tower Estate soon.

Warm regards

Sean Byrne

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A nice boutique accommodation. We spent all weekend trying to guess what country had inspired the decor of the lodge. We are still guessing...moroccan? spanish? french Mediterranean? We really aren't sure, but it was neat. The room was very spacious and included a functioning fireplace, which was always ready to light with kindling and wood available. The bathroom was large. There was a nice seating area outside the room. The staff were attentive and polite. The inclusive breakfast was also very nice. No complaints. We would book again. It is expensive, but on saying that, the room was wonderful. Our booking included a dining package with dinner at Roberts Restaurant & Nine Restaurant. As returning patrons to Roberts, this restaurant has really taken a turn for the worse. My slow-cooked beef was actually deep-fried and my pork was as dry as a bone. The wine list was also very limited - The real Robert always had a variety of European & local wines available. Thankfully we had a better dining experience at Nine restaurant the next night. A fabulous degustation menu with carefully matched wines.

Room Tip: Stay away from Roberts restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
Tonic Hotel
Tonic Hotel
#10 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Tower Lodge? Share your experiences!