“Not really much to write home about”
Review of McGuigan Wines

McGuigan Wines
Ranked #25 of 112 things to do in Pokolbin
Laurel, Maryland
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Not really much to write home about”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I drove from Sydney to Hunter Valley (Pokolbin) in about 2 hours, thinking to stop for a tour and lunch at one of the wineries before continuing up the coast in our rental car. We chose McGuigan's. While it was a pretty day and the area is nice enough, it wasn't all that spectacular (at least if you've been to other well known wine producing regions) and the tour at McGuigan's wasn't much. (At $5 you get what you pay for.) they directed us to a place across the road for lunch which was tasty but nothing special, with no view and no one else around.

All in all, I think we might have been better off skipping Hunter Valley and going straight to our destination up the coast.

Visited March 2013

Manila, Philippines
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 227 helpful votes
“My first wine-tasting tour at Mcguigans”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We did a cheese and wine tasting tour at Macguigans Winery last February. Mcguigans won the 2011 International Winemaker of the Year. For the cheese tasting portion, we got a pack of crackers and 5 different types of cheese to taste. The lady talked too fast so I wasn’t able to understand what she’s talking about. I only got the portion about one being a cheddar cheese and the other being a marinated one. I love the marinated one but she said it’s not advisable to purchase it if we’re not consuming it immediately.

As for the wine tasting, we have around probably 6 bottles. For a non-wine drinker like me, I love the dessert wine which is very sweet and has a very low alcohol level. Overall, this wine-tasting tour makes my Hunter Valley experience memorable.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank tansally
Savannah, Georgia
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Good wine”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was an award winning winery when we visited and I can see why, however, we did not purchase anything here as there were a few others that really stood out to us.

Visited January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Very nice experience”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Wine and cheese combination was just great. Wine tasting experience was good and the staff were knowledgeable. Overall, a very good experience.

2 Thank suespurry
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“We loved it here”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We were taken to this lovely winery by our guide at Real Sydney Tours and she had organised a special tasting and cheese platter for us in the private tasting room. We were treated royally and we loved the wines and the cheese and learnt so much from our lovely presenter. It was such a wonderful experience that it was hard for the other wineries to match up to the standard. I think because our guide had such a good relationship with McGuigans we were treated to things that the general public would not experience. Whatever the case, it was fabulous

Visited November 2012