I always read the reviews on trip advisor before I book, but this time, for some reason I didn't read them until after I booked and paid. Then when I read the reviews I got very worried. So worried I wrote to Peppers to ask them if the rooms were "tired" and "small". Of course they told me they thought they were fine, and I am very glad I believed them.
We booked two deluxe rooms and were allocated the rooms on the top floor with a verandah looking up the beautiful driveway. The rooms were a good size for queen rooms. We specifically selected the queen rooms, because they were an excellent price and we felt for one night we didn't need the bigger rooms.
I have stayed in some lovely hotels and bed and breakfasts all over the world. I have stayed in not so nice ones too. But Peppers Convent is definitely one of the loveliest accommodations I have stayed in. It is wonderful to be able to stay in such a beautiful building, in such a gorgeous location (probably the best in the Hunter Valley) because it is quiet, and down a beautiful street. Most of the hotels in the Hunter seem to be on the main roads, but Peppers Convent is in a lovely winding country lane.
The rooms were a good size, not overly large, but certainly not cramped and the bathrooms were large with lovely deep baths. The rooms were not at all tired. The furnishings were lovely. I am fussy about the sheets, and the sheets were very soft and silky and not at all worn, (as mentioned in some of the reviews).
The breakfast was excellent. The hot food was hot and fresh and delicious. The muesli was really good. I would like to know where they got it because I would like to buy some.
We were offered pre-dinner drinks and canapés by the fire at 6pm, and they were delicious.
The house itself is beautiful. Of course it is decorated according to the style of the house, so if you are looking for modern and brand new, you should stay at the Crown Plaza or Mercure or somewhere else.
The staff were fantastic and could not have been more professional, polite or helpful.
My son and his girlfriend travelled with us and they had a wonderful time riding the bicycles and playing tennis.
So if you have read the reviews and you are concerned at all, from my experience you needn't be. I can't speak about the rooms downstairs, but certainly don't be put off by choosing the deluxe rooms over the superior rooms because they were fine. We particularly enjoyed the verandah.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the famous Wine Country and enjoy luxury boutique hotel accommodation at The Convent Hunter Valley. Just 2.5 hours drive from Sydney CBD, The Convent is nestled within one of Australia's premiere wine regions - Polkobin. Our unique location offers expansive acreage views of the glamorous boutique hotel - The Convent, Pepper Tree Winery and Circa 1876. All venues are located on the estate and surrounded by rich, produce filled kitchen gardens, creating a tranquil culinary treat pleasing to lovers of both food and wine. Whether you are planning a romantic getaway, a weekend with the girls or your mates, or a fun-filled family holiday, our intimate and boutique Hunter Valley hotel offers something for everyone. Unwind and enjoy renowned local wines at Pepper Tree Winery and share the passion for organic produce and farm to fork dining at our hatted restaurant at Circa 1876. Explore the Hunter Valleys with the whole family and sample the region's many attractions. With an onsite function room, a spectacular backdrop and a relaxing atmosphere, The Convent is the ideal venue for weddings, corporate events and celebrations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Convent Hunter Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peppers Convent, Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Peppers Convent Hunter Valley Pokolbin
- The Convent Hunter Valley Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin