“Very nice place”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and were lucky to be upgraded from a one bedroom to a two bedroom apartment. It was nice and clean and spacious. The golf course looked excellent, shame I didn't take my clubs. We went to the restaurant on a Sunday night and it was pretty quiet, not so much atmosphere, but the food was very nice. Would stay there again.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phil S, General Manager at Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay at Cypress Lakes Resort by Oaks Hotels and Resorts.

Pleasing to hear your positive comments about your experience and we are glad you loved the ‘upgrade’. I will definitely pass on your comments about the food to our chef, and just for next time, if you don’t have enough room to bring your clubs (or forget), guests are able to hire them from the pro shop for a small fee. This way you would have been able to enjoy it that little bit more!

Can’t wait to welcome you back next time you stay in the Hunter Valley!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,210)

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This place is just perfect for a family group. We stayed in villas and fitted 2 couples and 3 singles in which made it very affordable and included breakfast. We had to pay 100% up front but could cancel up to 24 hours prior. A great deal. Perfect golf course and club house. Right next to wineries like tempus two and brokenwood. Spledid!

2  Thank Ken M
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I remember visiting this place some 14 years ago when it was new and was good I held onto those memories and told my now wife cypress lakes is one of the best in the area. Come now 14 years later we drive up and I felt nostalgic. We received our room key entered and that is when my thoughts changed dramatically about the place. In a nutshell nothing has changed, in a bad way you would think the rooms would of been renovated or something? Firstly it smelt of mould or that old room smell it needed to badly be air rated. The floors seemed OK until you realised they have not been mopped when we used a tissue to wipe some stains it was black, being your own mo sand bucket. Window sills are dirty. The biggest disappointment was the fact that it's supposed to be self contained. It had almost any pots or pans the bare minimum only it was very difficult to cook properly, my wife complained a lot. Oh and by the way they don't have washing machines at all in any room so bring extra clothes especially if you have kids. Into some of the nice things, there fireplace is nice despite no instructions on how to use it. The pillows are nice, the beds are hard. Shower water pressure is nice, or its also very quiet. That's pretty much it. For the price we paid we expected more, we will not be recommending this place nor will we be staying here again. The place is OK at best but don't expect much.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Mitch M

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at Cypress Lakes Resort by Oaks Hotels and Resorts

I was disappointed to read your comments about the cleanliness and lack of cooking utensils in your Villa. All Villas (except 1 bedrooms) contain your basic cooking utensils, pots, pans, crockery and cutlery and I apologise this was not the case when you stayed. I will talk to our Housekeeping supervisor to address the issues you experience during your stay to ensure this does not happen in the future.

Thank you again for your post and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

My accommodation at cypress lakes was a birthday surprise, so the day before my arrival, I thoroughly read the reviews and was sceptical. When we arrived, I was blown away! The land was serene and beautiful. Our room, cosy and warm. The staff, accommodating and friendly!!
We had a minor problem regarding the jets in our tub not working, which was quickly resolved with a discounted stay.
I cannot express enough how happy my partner and I both were with the overall experience of our stay.
Thank you cypress lakes for the relaxing weekend away, we will be back!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank KFearns

Dear KFearns,

Pleasing to hear your positive comments about your experience and especially your interaction with our staff, which I will pass onto our team.

Can’t wait to welcome you back next time you stay in the Hunter Valley!!

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We paid an arm-and-a-leg for a unit which was advertised as "self catering" including "laundry facilities". No washing machine - just the dryer. "Wi-fi" available. Not so. WiFi only available in the reception area for 30 mins a day: otherwise pay $11 for first hour or $27 for 24 hours to have internet in your room. Room was serviced - but TV was not fixed - no CD player, just DVD. You could get one HD channel - for downloading movies (extra cost). Spa was cold - advised to book a spa session at nearby Day Spa (extra cost). Tennis courts available but one needs to hire the racquets. Not going back. This was school holidays - two nights cost $550. Certainly not value for money.

3  Thank Marg T
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for 1 night. Positives: reception staff were lovely. Very spacious, two storey apartment. Beds were comfortable, apartment was clean. Kids liked having foxtel on the tv. Tv in each bedroom. Spacious bathrooms. Lovely view of kangaroos bounding around the golf course from our balcony. Had a lovely buffet breakfast in the restaurant, staff in there were so lovely.
Negatives: no plugs in the bathrooms. Had a bath in our ensuite but went to bath the kids and could not find a plug anywhere upstairs. No cutlery rack in the dishwasher. Walls very thin, we could hear the neighbours banging doors etc right into the night.

Would stay here again, great location, close to lots of wineries.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank RachfromOz
Reviewed July 12, 2014

As soon as we walked into the one bedroom villa we noticed a damp musty smell & assumed it had been closed up. First impression was could have been cleaner. Bathroom has sliding glass double doors that keep coming off the broken track. Bath has mould under the silicon seal. We opened the veranda door to find a plastic shopping bag with dirty disposable nappies . Called reception and we waited an hour and nobody came so we decided to go to dinner about 7 assuming they would let themselves in & collect the rubbish but on return at 9pm nappies were still there. Called reception and the girl came about an hour later. I mentioned that the bedside table lamp was broken, not just the globe but the actual shade & that the room smelt musty & she said she would mention it to housekeeping. Decided to have a look at reviews & noticed Jimmy's comment from 7 July about wet carpet .. I checked our carpet & yes it was wet. So I guess we had the same villa After a week it's still wet & they are still booking it out at ?? Can't be bothered moving rooms but would not recommend this to anyone nor would I stay again. Health hazard to anyone allergic to mould spores. Assume there would also be damage to the floor under the carpet & the villa below.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Kalme

I was disappointed to read your comments that the staff were not able to address the issue you experienced with the rubbish on our balcony in a timely manner. I will address this issue with our front office team as every effort should be made to come back to you as you reported the issue, and I apologise that we did not achieve this during your stay.

With regards to the wet carpet around the bath, the Villa you are referring to was taken offline and a new bath was installed. I will now have our Facilities Manager conduct a full audit of all of our 1 Bedroom Villas to rectify the leaking issue you are referring to. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Crowne Plaza Hunter Valley
#1 of 15 in Pokolbin
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#12 of 15 in Pokolbin

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!