“Needs Maintenance” 3 of 5 bubbles

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
“Needs Maintenance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at Cypress Lakes in a two bedroom/two bathroom villa. I had shopped around various websites for the best price, but booking directly by phone with the resort was about $100/night cheaper than their own website. The villa was a perfect size for the 4 adults. We did not use the kitchen but it appeared adequate for basic cooking. The living area and each bedroom were each had their own air conditioning. A fly screen had fallen out of the bedroom window, so unfortunately we had to run the air conditioning overnight. The balcony had a lovely outlook, but was in our opinion unsafe and could not be used. Most other balconies on the other villas appeared to be in a similar condition. We did not require the included laundry but strangely it came with a dryer but no washing machine.

Breakfast was everything you needed breakfast to be, however staff left did not allocate vacant tables so it became crowded with people looking for a table. It would of made more sense to only allow entry once a table became available. The restaurant was also so far from the villa that we needed to drive.

We visited the Golden Door spa, which was exceptional and we would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I am have had a terrible experience with Cypress Lakes.
I paid all costs up front back in June 2013 (note to self: never do that again) but had to cancel a month out. I am now struggling to get my money back.
I keep getting told I will have it reimbursed in a week, in two days, oops another week, another two days - and so on.
Oaks Resorts have taken over Cypress Lakes and I keep getting told the same story by the manager Amanda - it's not their problem. They have to wait to get their money back from the previous owners before they can reimburse me. ????? I don't think so.
I am starting to think things are going under and I will never see my money.
Avoid at all costs - the level of service stinks!
My next step is to speak to Fair Trading and speak to the credit card company.
There are far better places to stay in the Hunter Region and judging by (not only mine) but other reviewers you would be better off choosing somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JCArnou

Travelers are raving about these Pokolbin hotels

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We recently stayed the Grand Mercure Apartments Cypress Lakes Resort Hunter Valley. I have to say it was one of the worst places I have stayed and we paid top dollar for it. It was in the middle of the take over to Oaks Hotels&Resorts. We stayed in a 2 bdr villa it was super dirty and everything was falling apart. It certainly wasn't luxury. The balcony was unsafe and very dirty. The floor boards on the balcony were falling apart. I had a one year old and he crawled for 5 mins and his hands were black. Oh and the pool was out of order.
The staff had no idea about anything they didn't even have something simple like a map of all the wineries. Why was I not surprised! denise

Room Tip: do not stay here that's the tip.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank denise r
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend of 11th to 13th October. This resort is looking very tired compared to my experience some 10 years previously. In fact it's not a great advert for the Mercure Hotel Group. I have given the resort an overall average rating but I must stress that in my view it is poor value for the price paid. On the basis of my experience I would not be rushing to stay in anything under the Mercure's management.
I found the resort a bit paradoxical as on the plus side the breakfasts are very good, the bathroom amenities were good and the flat screen TVs were of good quality. However on the negative, the sliding door to my patio did not lock, the basin tap leaked badly every time I turned it on to the point I had to use a facecloth to stop the water running everywhere. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a while with leaves all over the bottom and the Spa does not work properly.
The carpets have long reached their use by date and the Patio was filthy!!
In summary I would not be rushing to stay at this place again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CicliOZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked a night here during my stay in Sydney in oct. I actually booked for a single bed room apartment but got a 2 bed room apartment instead. It's difficult to locate the place especially at night and we arrived at night hence GPS comes in handy. There are lack of signages leading u to reception and the apartment. We had to go a few round around the area to look for our unit. The direction of room were also difficult to find. Road to the apartment is also bumpy... check out time was 11 and although I've requested for extention it was declined but when it comes to the checking out day itself we had the cleaner coming to knock on out door at 10.15 in the morning... it was a big turn off.

Aside from that the room is clean and specious and well equipped with most of the kitchen utensils there. If you planned cook then this is nice

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Babyyin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately Cypress Lakes seems to be falling short of its former glory. My villa was very spacious, comfortable and mostly clean, but a little dated. Lovely private outlook over bush land to the valley.

Annoyingly, there is no minibar. A sign declares "What could be better than tailoring your own minibar? Phone and order, minimum $25". Well, here's an idea for what could be better: being able to crack open a single drink and have it immediately, without having to wait and/or spend up a storm.

The setting is lovely and the golf club and pool is nice. Dinner was very tasty though unimaginative. Breakfast was good. Coffee dreadful.
The gym was reasonably well equipped for a hotel gym, though again getting tired and in need of maintenance/updating.

If you get a good deal here, it would be a nice option for a relaxing break, but if you're paying luxury prices I would think there are better options available.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Echica1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!