“A Tired Cypress Lakes Somewhat overpriced for what you get now”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney
“A Tired Cypress Lakes Somewhat overpriced for what you get now”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here over the weekend of 11th to 13th October. This resort is looking very tired compared to my experience some 10 years previously. In fact it's not a great advert for the Mercure Hotel Group. I have given the resort an overall average rating but I must stress that in my view it is poor value for the price paid. On the basis of my experience I would not be rushing to stay in anything under the Mercure's management.
I found the resort a bit paradoxical as on the plus side the breakfasts are very good, the bathroom amenities were good and the flat screen TVs were of good quality. However on the negative, the sliding door to my patio did not lock, the basin tap leaked badly every time I turned it on to the point I had to use a facecloth to stop the water running everywhere. The pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a while with leaves all over the bottom and the Spa does not work properly.
The carpets have long reached their use by date and the Patio was filthy!!
In summary I would not be rushing to stay at this place again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CicliOZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I booked a night here during my stay in Sydney in oct. I actually booked for a single bed room apartment but got a 2 bed room apartment instead. It's difficult to locate the place especially at night and we arrived at night hence GPS comes in handy. There are lack of signages leading u to reception and the apartment. We had to go a few round around the area to look for our unit. The direction of room were also difficult to find. Road to the apartment is also bumpy... check out time was 11 and although I've requested for extention it was declined but when it comes to the checking out day itself we had the cleaner coming to knock on out door at 10.15 in the morning... it was a big turn off.

Aside from that the room is clean and specious and well equipped with most of the kitchen utensils there. If you planned cook then this is nice

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Babyyin
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately Cypress Lakes seems to be falling short of its former glory. My villa was very spacious, comfortable and mostly clean, but a little dated. Lovely private outlook over bush land to the valley.

Annoyingly, there is no minibar. A sign declares "What could be better than tailoring your own minibar? Phone and order, minimum $25". Well, here's an idea for what could be better: being able to crack open a single drink and have it immediately, without having to wait and/or spend up a storm.

The setting is lovely and the golf club and pool is nice. Dinner was very tasty though unimaginative. Breakfast was good. Coffee dreadful.
The gym was reasonably well equipped for a hotel gym, though again getting tired and in need of maintenance/updating.

If you get a good deal here, it would be a nice option for a relaxing break, but if you're paying luxury prices I would think there are better options available.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Echica1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at Cypress Lakes. If you are looking for a good value, well located place in the Hunter Valley - this is quite a good option.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with friends. The villas are designed well for sharing with friends as each bedroom has its own ensuite. The decor was a little dated but overall the villa was clean and functional. It's great having a kitchen and being able to self-cater. Though be warned that there isn't an abundance of utensils, crockery or other kitchen items. There was also a BBQ on the deck.

Instead of booking through the resort this time, we booked a villa through the Stayz website. I understand that some of the villas are owned privately so you can rent directly from the owners. We saved a considerable amount booking this way rather than going through the resort. We couldn't use the resort's facilities or go to the restaurant to have breakfast but that was fine with us as we were in the Hunter to go wine tasting.

Cypress Lakes doesn't have the "wow" factor but if you are looking for a good value place to stay that is in the heart of the Hunter, it's a great option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelbuddy010
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Had a 2 bedroom apartment - 4 adults - full self contained - location was very central - breakfast was yummy - cafes and restaurants nearby. Had a lovely time

1 Thank lizzie1953
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went here for the October long weekend for a short get away. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartments. Iit was clean and the bed was great.
We had dinner in the restaurant and must say the food was average and bit up there for the price. I would expect a property of this calibre that there would be at least table cloths. There are so many nice places to eat in the Hunter Valley and no doubt the competition is fierce. It feels to me that they are cost cutting and dinner really felt like a cafe. Not what you would expect.
We also had breakfast and pretty much the normal like all hotels with the buffet breakfast.
I just feel they could lift the game.
We also had some afternoon drinks at the bar and I must say the service was ordinary. My wife ordered a couple of cocktails. Firstly they were unsure on how to make a couple of mud slides. Secondly they then forgot about us. 30 mins later we got our drinks after they finally remembered. Just a little bit disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lozza36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pokolbin
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
The Convent Hunter Valley
#11 of 15 in Pokolbin
Chateau Elan Hunter Valley

Been to Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!