“Good value stay”

Oaks Cypress Lakes Resort
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at Cypress Lakes. If you are looking for a good value, well located place in the Hunter Valley - this is quite a good option.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with friends. The villas are designed well for sharing with friends as each bedroom has its own ensuite. The decor was a little dated but overall the villa was clean and functional. It's great having a kitchen and being able to self-cater. Though be warned that there isn't an abundance of utensils, crockery or other kitchen items. There was also a BBQ on the deck.

Instead of booking through the resort this time, we booked a villa through the Stayz website. I understand that some of the villas are owned privately so you can rent directly from the owners. We saved a considerable amount booking this way rather than going through the resort. We couldn't use the resort's facilities or go to the restaurant to have breakfast but that was fine with us as we were in the Hunter to go wine tasting.

Cypress Lakes doesn't have the "wow" factor but if you are looking for a good value place to stay that is in the heart of the Hunter, it's a great option.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelbuddy010

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Had a 2 bedroom apartment - 4 adults - full self contained - location was very central - breakfast was yummy - cafes and restaurants nearby. Had a lovely time

1  Thank lizzie1953
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Went here for the October long weekend for a short get away. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartments. Iit was clean and the bed was great.
We had dinner in the restaurant and must say the food was average and bit up there for the price. I would expect a property of this calibre that there would be at least table cloths. There are so many nice places to eat in the Hunter Valley and no doubt the competition is fierce. It feels to me that they are cost cutting and dinner really felt like a cafe. Not what you would expect.
We also had breakfast and pretty much the normal like all hotels with the buffet breakfast.
I just feel they could lift the game.
We also had some afternoon drinks at the bar and I must say the service was ordinary. My wife ordered a couple of cocktails. Firstly they were unsure on how to make a couple of mud slides. Secondly they then forgot about us. 30 mins later we got our drinks after they finally remembered. Just a little bit disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lozza36
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Cypress Lakes Resort is in a fantastic location for visting Hunter wineries - many of which are a short drive or even walk/cycle from the resort. The villa we stayed in was comfortable, however quite dated and the kitchenette was very small - basically just a basin and a microwave. Booked through weekenda, so villa is operated independently from the rest of the resort - means you can't use facilities such as the pool etc.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Better than I expected we had a great room the meal at the restaurant was exceptional I had kangaroo and the buffet breakfast was amazing the golf course was so picturesque and lots of fun we could not have been happier

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Beautiful private property with spacious, modern villa's. Bodega Restaurant on site was lovely with all staff friendly and very pleasant. Even got an upgrade! Great value for what we got........impressive!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
2  Thank SJV16
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed here as a group of 5 single ladies, beds were separated in each of the 3 rooms, which was great. Facilities were also of a high standard in the rooms and the area was quiet. Included breakfast was also top notch.

The problem we had was that some months before when booking the room, I contacted the Hotel about requesting a later checkout of noon. I was advised this was possible and to request check-in staff upon arrival of the request and they would put the room last on the cleaning list. I was also advised that after noon there was a charge of $30 per hour, which was absolutely fine. When I arrived the check-in staff also agreed it would be fine, however the cleaning roster isn't manifested until the day of check-out, so to ask the Duty Manager at breakfast of the request. I did this the following morning and was advised in a passive/aggressive manner that I was mistaken and not advised, and was refused the request. I advised the DM of the prior phone call and check-in advice and was again told I was wrong. The main reason for my stay was for my wedding make-up and hair trial for myself and bridesmaids, as well as to check out if the accommodation would be appropriate for wedding guests and family. I was unsure f the make-up lady would be finished by normal check-out time (11am) hence the request.
In the end the DM said we could only take until 11:30 to check-out (I'm not sure why noon would have been such a dilemma given the 30 min difference).
Then to top things off we were coincidentally finished by 11am and then had to wait 20 minutes to check out as 4 people were checking in - couldn't believe that as 11am was check out time and they were prioritising that over the check-out rooms after the comments I got from the DM. Very disappointing for such nice accommodation - really left an image given the usual high standards from Grand Mercure.
I can't say I'm going to recommend my family and guests to stay here for the wedding given the DM's manner.

Room Tip: Bring a car as the resort is spread out too far to walk from room to breakfast/reception area.