Booked the Wombat cottage for a weekend in April to attend a family members wedding. To say this accommodation was below acceptable is an understatement.
It was a freezing cold weekend, there was no firewood, the wall heaters did not work but after searching the entire cottage we managed to find two tiny panel heaters from the 80's. We were lucky if this changed the temperature by .5 of a degree. Ended up paying $160 for firewood from a local supplier to heat the place.
The cottage itself was completely unacceptable and I wonder how it is allowed to be rented out to the general public or anyone. The double bed was two singles that were tied together with rope. The bed sheets had some kind of grit in them, god knows what it was, we ended up taking the sheets to a friends apartment at the vintage and washed them all.
There was an opened tuna can in the bathroom cupboard and there was also mold on the grill in the kitchen.
It is obvious that some kind of renovation is underway, as the walls were patched up and unpainted, doors wouldn't open, appliances were missing and the shed was a complete hazard, used as a dumping ground for everything under the sun. No of which was made know to us at the time of booking. The advertising for the cottage in no way represents its current condition.
There was no contact list for any issues and given the stresses of a family wedding weekend, thousands of kilometers away from home, this was completely unacceptable and added more stress to the weekend.
When we were finally contacted by a Hope Estate representative, she agreed that the state of the cottage was unacceptable and that the she would contact the owner to seek adequate compensation.
The owner, Michael Hope, got back to us through the representative that the only compensation would be that they would waive the cost of the wine consumed at the cottage (5 bottles) and were prepared to offer two nights at the cottage "mid-week" for free. Given that we paid $1000 for the 3 nights in its current state, what was offered to us was in no way good enough.
We would never again consider staying there and are looking at taking the matter further with the relevant authorities. We will also be taking our wine club membership elsewhere.
You have been warned.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.