“The only way to explore the vineyards”

Two Fat Blokes Gourmet Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$136.64*
and up
Hunter Valley Gatherer's Full-Day Food and Wine...
Ranked #8 of 98 Food & Drink in Pokolbin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Unique, private luxury full or 1/2 day tours. 2- 10 guests only. By limiting our tours to max 10 guests we have access to small family-owned wineries that have excellent wines but do not take bigger groups. Pickup from Hunter Valley only in luxury Mercedes Benz vehicles. My wife's ancestors planted some of the first vines in the Hunter Valley in 1853 and just never left. We have looked after visitors to our region since 1998. In 2008 we added some tours to our business to the delight of many guests. We offer 2 different full day tours, our very popular 'Progressive winemakers Lunch tour' and 2 half day tour to choose from. Or we can tailor a tour to suit your needs. Our aim is to show our guests great food, great wine and have loads of fun. Educational, yet light-hearted. Our tours are unique, over time, we have build up trust with local chefs and (boutique) winemakers, who all offer a personalised experience. Because we only have a small number of guests on our tours we can be flexible and tailor our tours to suit you. We can also assist with your accommodation needs if needed.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I've been to the Hunter Valley many times. It kind of intimidates me going to vineyards and do wine tastings. Another bored winemaker giving away free booze to those that don't buy. You feel like their eyes bore into you. You feel guilty if you don't buy. It makes me uncomfortable. I buy most of my wines over the Internet at good rates anyway. But I love the Hunter. Its beautiful. Great restaurants. Brilliant wines that I normally wouldn't get to taste. So I looked for something a little different and found this gem of an experience. WOOOOOOO - what a fabulous day! One of the best experiences of my life I'd say - and that's saying something, because I'm a traveller at heart. Hubby and I did this tour with Jan. He told us more about the Hunter than I ever knew. Interesting, factual and it taught us a lot about wines too. The restaurants we went to, the food we ate, the wines we drunk - all top class. Every vineyard and restaurant treated us like special guests. Jan came and went, sensing if we wanted company or not. The food was to die for. The wines - some I loved, some I didn't. I'm not a wine snob. No pressure at all to visit the Cellar Door or buy anything.. though we did, because some of the wines were just too yummy not to take home. Thank you Two Fat Blokes - for an amazing day. Tummy ache at the end of it from eating too much - but absolutely, insanely the best tour I have EVER done in my entire life!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)
All reviews
"great tour"
in 80 reviews
"potters brewery"
in 15 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 26 reviews
in 25 reviews
"local knowledge"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I spent the day with Jan travelling to various wineries and restaurants. The wine and food were amazing and perfectly matched. Jan was a great host, whose sense of humour, love for and knowledge of food, was infectious. We would thoroughly recommend this feast for the senses. Thanks for a great day Jan.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent Christmas Eve with two other couples and Jan visiting a small number of wineries and the brewery at the end. We enjoyed the different styles of tasting from sitting down at a private table to standing with the masses at Tempus Two. We found Jan informative and courteous and the fact he does this so often didn't make us feel like we were another shipment on the conveyor belt.

We had booked the Food and Wine Lovers Tour a long time in advance but were informed a few days beforehand that it wasn't going to happen but we could switch to the Hunter Gatherers Tour. The initial reason was that many of the experiences on the Lovers Tour weren't available on Christmas Eve. On the actual day of the tour, Jan said there was a mix up with his driver so not sure which was the exact reason - possibly a combination of both. Slightly disappointed couldn't do our first choice of activity but still enjoyed the Hunter Gatherers Tour.

Lunch was delicious and lots of it. We even took the cheeseboard home and enjoyed it the next day. We were blessed with great weather and had a really good day.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

They talk about two fat blokes but we only had one guide and he wasn't fat. Just a good Aussie bloke who drove us around various locations in the Hunter Valley and gave us a very memorable day.

We visited several good quality cellar door vineyards, a cheese tasting place and even a boutique brewery. All good fun and well-selected locations.

There was only one other couple on our tour - a young American couple who were good company.

We thought our guide could have given us more commentary and information about the places we visited - probably because this is what we've experienced on bus tours in Europe and elsewhere.

I can recommend this tour as a very enjoyable outing.