“Something a bit different for the Hunter Valley”

Verandah Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 74 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Something a bit different for the Hunter Valley”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Ate at Verandah on a reasonably chilly night, so sat inside. Not much atmosphere which is a pity because the food and service was actually pretty good. I am guessing that sitting outside on the Verandah on a sunny afternoon or warm summer night would have meant a much nice atmosphere. Anyway, each of the 5 tapas plates we had was quite nice. I would recommend it as an alternate to all of the other overly fancy foody type restaurants that seem to have taken over the Hunter Valley.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Greg M

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing afternoon lunch”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Always brilliant here! I love the guy with the crazy style too. He makes the experience even more enjoyable!

Visited April 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Casual dining with a view”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I was in a group of 5 ladies. We went for dinner on a Saturday night. The restaurant has a nice outlook especially if you sit outside on the verandah. The waitress who took out order was incredibly bubbly and gregarious. We had heard such great reviews and were disappointed with the food and service. The food was ok - calamari is one of their most popular dishes but it was so oily. They have a plasma tv mounted on the wall showing photos of what the tapas look like which I found very tacky! The service was painfully slow - it took 45 minutes to get our drinks. Our lovely waitress was stuck at the bar making 12 mojitos for the table next to us, while we waited and waited and waited for our bottle of wine to arrive. We complained to another waitress to simply responded with 'sorry we are busy tonight with cocktails'. When we wanted to settle our bill I has to wait as the people paying before us were splitting the bill and paying individually!!!
I would try and going here again, but it was such a disappointment especially after the fantastic experience at Harvest the night before!

Canberra, Australia
“Very underwhelming”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We ordered the tapas tower and a glass of wine/beer for Sunday lunch. The food came out all at once - a mountain of cold grease. Nothing seemed was fresh. The pork belly was stringy and overcooked; the calamari was dry and flavourless. Our waitress seemed have the impression that we had never eaten tapas or shared dishes before - she was utterly condescending. Utterly overpriced - it was $80.00 for the tapas tower between us - and I only wish I had spent my money elsewhere. A lovely German pointer met us on arrival but it was all downhill from there.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jane B
“Gluten Free Dream”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Lunch at the Verandah today was delicious. Being gluten free I often mind my selections at restaurants can be limited, the Verandah had plenty of gluten free, lactose free, vegetarian and vegan options for those with food limitations. The food was delicious and each of the tapas arrived at staggered intervals so you could enjoy each before the next arrived. The Calais wines were amazing and the small homewares store under the restaurant had some great finds. I would completely recommend this restaurant!!

Visited April 2014