“Tapas Tower the Best!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Such delicious food on the tapas tower and a brilliant view on the Veranda. This was a great place to have a nice long lunch before our wine tastings continued for the afternoon

1  Thank Juanita K

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I had just one day and night in the Hunter and researched it carefully before I went. The Verandah got great reviews and I tossed up between lunch and dinner....finally deciding on lunch. I was really looking forward to it. It was a sunny day and pleasant sitting on the verandah. The staff were young, friendly and helpful. My first dish arrived in a flash and it was quite nice - stuffed zucchini flower. The second dish was put on the table as the empty plate went. A tiny wagyu beef pie hidden under some kumera mash. I cut into it and it was so dry the pastry splintered and scattered. The meat was dried out and stringy. I scraped off the mash and saw that it had been heated and reheated so many times it was dried and shrivelled....and yet it wasn't warm. I sat and looked at it for a while. The staff were busy and I was on my own. I've never sent a meal back in my life but finally I got somebody's attention and told them it was inedible. I sat and waited for a good 20 minutes - my punishment I felt - before she came back with a dish that wasn't much better. Not the lunch I'd looked forward to. I had intended to have dessert and another glass of wine but didn't trust the quality. I paid and left. When I mentioned it to several different people in the wineries they all said that the owner had recently taken on another restaurant and the word was that he was stretching himself too thin.

2  Thank PearlPureheart
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This place delivers excellent tapas - we were a table of four and indulged in 5 plates plus dessert. All agreed that the stuffed zucchini flower was 'the best' and the scallop came a close 2nd; the lamb backstrap was tender and tasty. The churros and souffle desserts were heaven! Unless it's cold and rainy, the tables on the verandah are the best if you want a view of the vineyard. This place would score top marks except for the price - typical of the Hunter valley area - it's quite pricey. Nonetheless - highly recommended!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Verandah always delivers on beautiful tapas style plates to share. Been here several times and have never been disappointed - definitely on the "to do" list each time we head to the vineyards in the Hunter.

1  Thank megmeisterrules
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Class was great fun. Paella tasted great with quality seafood ingredients used. Good value for $80 pp. Great way to spend Sunday lunch - started at 1030am and finished around 130pm.

Haven't tried the restaurant though.

1  Thank chella j