“Great visits”

Ranked #82 of 112 things to do in Pokolbin
Lake Macquarie, Australia
“Great visits”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Made several visits over 3 days and found Robyn the perfect hostess; wine, cheese platters, food and coffee were delicious and all served as if we were long-lost friends. The view from the spacious, cool verandah was stunning and there was so much to see in the museum. We will certainly return to Robyn's on our next visit to the vineyards.

Visited December 2013
RobynDraytonWines, Owner at Robyn Drayton Winery, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hi Gary,
Thank you so much for your lovely write up. It’s not often that people make the effort to write nice things..as some unfortunate people see the glass half empty than half full (excuse the punt...LOL) and spend more time complaining than enjoying the journey in life. I’am so glad you enjoyed your time with us. Three visits in three days.... wow!  is a fantastic compliment to us.
I’am glad we were able to share your Wedding Anniversary with you. We look forward to your return visit soon and from myself, my three boys and staff we wish you both a Happy New Year and look forward to seeing you in 2014.
Kind regards
Robyn Drayton

Canberra, Australia
“terrific as always”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Robyn and staff thanks again for another great visit, I know your lovely simple cheese platter is for two, but the three of us had trouble fitting it all in, a generous but simple platter, very tasty and none of the gourmet over load, no wonder your wines keep winning medals and trophies, your new releases are beautiful, so delicious, I shall try and age a few to see how they are in a couple of years. We will be back again next time we come to the vineyards.

Wollongong, Australia
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The cheese platter was bitterly disappointing. $20 for a platter of your everyday supermarket tasty cheese, olives, sundried tomatoes and arnotts crackers!!
The Hunter has amazing local producers supplying gourmet produce and they serve this rubbish to customers. Oh and don't dare complain about it either, you will be told with eyes rolling and some serious attitude "no one else has ever complained" (see below another complaint) and "that's $10 a head, everywhere else you will be charged $30" I would gladly pay that if my "cheese" platter consisted of a variety of cheese, and supported the local producers. I should mention too, wines weren't,t outstanding either.
It's a real shame as the views are glorious looking over the vineyard. There are so many fabulous places in the Hunter, I regret wasting my time at Robyn Drayton.

Visited December 2013
“Avoid if you have dark skin.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Great views, Ok wine, tasty white port. However, if Cathy is working, then avoid the place.... especially if you are coloured.

Disappointing to see such an attitude in a 1st world country in 2013. Shame as I was willing to spend a small fortune.

Spent my money at other places instead.

Visited July 2013
RobynDraytonWines, Owner at Robyn Drayton Winery, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Sir,Thank you for your feedback. I’am so happy you enjoyed our wine and the white port that we serve chilled with fresh lime. Yes the view is fantastic isn’t it! So it’s a shame that you felt the colour of your skin stoped you from enjoying all this.
I have been in the hospitality industry for 37 years and have never been accused of treating people with coloured skin any differently to others. I have employed many people over the years from different walks of life, including skin colour and race both in the cellar door and vineyard. Cathy has had a lot of experience also in the hospitality industry where you engage in may nationalities and walks of life and neither of us have been accused of treating anyone with dark skin differently.
I am an active member of my local Rotary club where we constantly raise money for our local community and disadvantage countries overseas. Just recently we sent a lot of money over to a girls school in Pakistan and I’am a strong support of “Shelter Box” which supports devastated countries that have been hit by natural disasters. I have spent many years living and visiting 3rd world countries (Africa, India etc).
We look forward to you, family and friends, one day revisiting Robyn Drayton Wines as you are always be welcome.
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best location in the Hunter Valley!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My partner and I recently spent a week exploring the Hunter Valley. We stumbled upon this vineyard on one of our first days after trying to find a lookout out of town. We had a look around the interesting museum and loved all the different maps of the area they had on display before having a cold drink. We didn't have any cash on us but the lovely lady serving allowed us to use the eftpos even though we were under the minimum spend. We kept thinking about the vineyard and so we made our way back there on our second last day. When we got there it was 4:50pm so we were unable to have a devonshire tea but we did have a tasting and purchased a delicious bottle of white. The same service lady that greeted us on the earlier day remembered us even though she was serving others at the time and invited us back the next morning to have the tea. We went there the first thing on our last day and enjoyed the amazing view with our tea. It was definitely the best location we encountered on our trip, with lovely service and beautiful food and wine.

There is no question I will be visiting this vineyard again. Thank you!

Visited July 2013