“Our fabulous mini honeymoon.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of krinklewood Cottage & Carriages

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
krinklewood Cottage & Carriages
Brisbane, Australia
“Our fabulous mini honeymoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

this review is very late. My husband and I stayed here on our mini honeymoon break just before Christmas Dec 2012. I always meant to write but forgot. My husband and I loved this place, it was different, and the host was very welcoming and accommodating. I've read people complain about no air con, and flies etc, and admit that staying there in the winter would be more fabulous. However, My husband and I brough our dog, and we had a great time. Up early for a walk each morning. The train carriages are unique, and fun experience to stay in. There is a bicycle place next door which we hired bikes from and cycled around all the wineries each day. We loved it and would definitely stay again. For anyone reading the grumbles, I would just say this. It is not a hotel in the conventional way, and it is in the country, we enjoyed the different experience, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at Krinklewood in the Royal for 2. The trains are unique and if you are looking for something different to resorts (seen one seen them all) then you will love the fun & unique train carriages. To be fair, they don't look much from the outside, but on the inside they are all uniquely decorated and very comfortable. The host Maire is lovely and very friendly. Yes . . . It's the country and there are flies and insects . . . horror. We will definitely return.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, NSW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

As others have said, if you want luxury, don't stay here. However, if you are coming up to the vineyards for a concert, Bimbadgen is close and easy to get to - you can walk it, but we took the car down to the crossroads and walked easily from there - it was great to be able to escape the crowd and have our lodgings close by. We stayed in the Royal carriage and it was clean and comfortable. We were delighted with some of the memories invoked of being in this sort of accommodation. Our experience with Marie was fine - no problems like some other Reviewers, though she had us coming in on Saturday (not Friday) and I had even called to confirm the correct date, but she was happy to please and the carriage was conveniently empty so all was good. Just remember, this is train carriage accommodation so, for example, the air conditioning is more a cooling fan, it would be really pushed to actually cool down the carriage, but was welcome relief during the afternoon heat. The windows are (old) train carriage windows and open as such... what else? There are fly screens on some of them and this allows for good ventilation. Yes, they are tired and in need of renovation, but they are also quirky and something different... enjoy the fun of it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed in the cottage, very quaint and ample room for 8 of us.
Upon entering the cottage, we were sickened by the amount of flies inside, both alive and dead. It was quite disgusting.
Even though 8 of us stayed there, we were initially supplied with 2 towels. Later rectified, but too late for us to shower.
Utensils in drawers were covered in food, windows don't stay open and frighteningly, the front and rear doors don't lock!
The owner verbally abused myself and the other woman with me for parking a car in the wrong place-Stating I had parked in a her garden containing " precious plants"... Let's be honest, it was a barren patch of dirt containing no plants. Telling me in 17 years she's never known anyone to be so stupid! She was antagonistic, rude and totally out of line. We were paying customers yet she felt it was within her rights to argue with us and ridicule us. Personally, I couldn't wait to leave, and I will NEVER stay their again.
I didn't stay in the train carriages, but saw inside them, what a waste of money.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Sharon C

Travelers are raving about these Pokolbin hotels

Mudgee, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in the "Victorian Carriage" as a group of 8 adults. The living space is quite cosy with a couple of large lounges and the wood fire was a god send, keeping the carriage nice and warm. The Carriage (including its two bathrooms) was clean and tidy, the beds were extremely comfortable and well presented.

A large deck with gas bbq backs off the living room and we spent a lot of time sitting around the large table enjoying our cheese platter, wines and steak that we had bought that day in the Valley.

I was extremely impressed with the proximity to the wineries, the only thing to be careful of here is "Krinklewood Cellerdoor" that is 30 mins away where we lost 2 of our friends for 2 hours when they went to the wrong place. so I would suggest following Marie's directions on the email.

Marie, the owner is extremely friendly and very happy to help out if anything goes wrong. She even answered my phone call at 9pm on Saturday night when we ran out of gas for the hot water and had our problem fixed within 10mins (turned switch for 2nd bottle).

One thing to remember if you stay here is that it is fully self catered, this includes salt, pepper, shampoo, soap and everything else that you need. This was no problem to us as Marie had warned us, so we came prepared. (Cessnock Coles is 15mins drive).

Overall it was a fun experience, the people traveling with me were from overseas and they loved the novelty of waking up in the morning and having breakfast with the kangaroos and frogs.

The value for money was great, it is not advertised as a 5 star hotel and you are not charged as such and I am glad that I did not take some of the other reviews too seriously.

Thanks again Marie for looking after us and hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nathansymons
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I will try to give a balanced appraisal of this property. Let me start by saying, if you are after a novel, rustic, bush experience, this may be the place for you. If you are after luxury, cleanliness, mod cons and manicured lawns, this is definitely not the place for you, so know what sort of experience you are after.

These are old railway carriages people. Things are broken - some of which could be repaired, some not so easy. Be warned, if you are bringing a tribe of kids or you want ready access to power, there are few power points. There wasn't any lighting in the cabin I stayed in - the globes were simply missing and not replaced. Many windows were unable to be opened or closed, and fly screens were lacking. The carriage we were in couldn't be locked, so valuables had to be locked in the car. Bring all your own toiletries such as soap and shampoo as these are not provided. It's true there is only 1 bathroom (without a lockable door) for a carriage sleeping ten, so either holiday with people you know well, or leave your modesty behind. Within the carriages, this is communal living.

Some reviews have commented on the bedding, I'm not a good sleeper, but my bed was extremely comfortable. I guess it's hit and miss with this.

Being in the bush, expect nature to find its way inside. There were frogs and a bat in the carriage, and a snake just outside the door. These things didn't bother me, as I expected them in the bush, but I know some people would not expect this if they have a luxury experience in mind (suggested by the price of the accommodation).

All in all, I think the property is very overpriced for what you get, but you are paying for the novelty. If you are hell-bent on the experience of staying in an old railway carriage, lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed. If its luxury you are after, don't even bother.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelpro73
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I to work in the travel industry. I am a believer that you get what you pay for, and I can say that this is NOT worth it. Myself and a group of ladies were so very excited about our weekend away, a girls weekend with no children or husbands where we could relax by the pool with a great magazine, sip on some cocktails, have a beautiful dinner out somewhere nice, the general "Girls Weekend" away stuff. When we arrived our first impression of the place was of pure shock, the kind of shock that drains all the blood from your head to the end of your toes, that overwhelming feeling that something is not quite right.

I am not quite sure what overwhelmed us the most, the above ground pool that looked like something out of the 70ies, the so called spa, which looked like it have not been used in over 10 years, the lack of anything green, the broken tennis racquets which were provided to play on the very run down court, the old couch on the porch of the cottage that looked like it was slept on by the numerous, not so friendly dogs, the miss matched bed linen on the beds or the fact that we were expected to pay $1500 a night for a cottage that slept 10 people that had ONE TOILET. This is what I would expect to get if I was paying $20 a night.

We kept our thoughts to ourselves (our faces told a very different story) and proceeded to check the inside of the cottage. It was quaint and appeared clean. However on further inspection were disgusted to find swarms of flies in the bathroom, two very small 90 degree ladders to the loft rooms, which we would have to climb up and down (very dangerous), and no fly screens. Given that the day was extremely hot, the fact that we could not open the door to get a breeze was awful. I note that we were never informed that they offered air conditioning, but with the heat pushing high 30ies and given the cost, I would have assumed it a standard practice to provide this to clients.

When we confronted the owner lady regarding our concerns she flew directly into the offensive position and from there it was very hard to bring her back. I think that the saying the customer is always right is definitely missing from her work practices/ethics. While deep in discussion with the owner lady and while standing in the living area of the cottage surrounded by many flies, a wasp and a dog, a very large lizard came out from under the couch, now I know living in Sydney we don’t normally get lizards, so when we were confronted with one as big as my foot, of course we were frightened and ran screaming from the cottage. The lovely owner lady inferred that it was just a small lizard and not to worry as it would, I quote “Eat the flies”!!!! I can guarantee that if there was a lizard, then the snake would not have been far away.

A decision was made by us to leave to discuss our options. Whilst exiting the property we were confronted by a very aggressive barking dog, apparently it was a rescue dog, now I am no dog expert but I would have thought that bringing a rescue dog into an environment where many different people come and go, is not the best idea. We decided to send the lady owner an email to advise her that we would not be returning. We headed to our air-condition 2 x 2 bedroom apartments, 4 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms at the Cypress Lakes Resort where we could fulfill all our girls weekend away dreams, at less than the cost of the Krinklewood cottages.

The lady owner later replied to our email where she told us that “Karma would get us”….. the karma is on you lady!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends