“Great food”

Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very modern decor. Good views from restaurant. Delicious food and superbly presented. Wines are lovely and service is excellent - extremely caring, courteous and friendly, plus efficient.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great food, went there on the suggestion of B&B owner over the road. The food was mouth watering - even the bread! Wish I had taken a photo of the candelabra inside the front door!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I went to Shakey Tables as part of a group, seventeen of us in all, and found we were expertly taken care of. For a starter I chose the duck parfait, which was light and flavoursome, and followed this with a medium rare Wagyu beef filet. The beef was beautifully presented and of a perfectly adequate size. We drank a Brokenwood ILR Semillon 2005 followed by a Mount Pleasant shiraz. My choice for the red was originally the Keith Tulloch Kester but the owner explained he didn't have enough stock for the party. He was kind enough to offer the alternative Mount Pleasant, a more expensive wine, but discount it to the Kester price. I thought this was a noble gesture, the like of which is a dying art in restaurants today. Full marks for that. For dessert, I chose the cheese plate, which on the menu is described as 'small-ish' but could easily be shared by two, even three people. I was very satisfied with the cheese plate. The decor is funky, and complimented well by the chef's paintings - she's truly a talented woman! The wait staff were friendly, prompt, yet discreet, and I liked that we could communicate with eye contact, another sign for me, that I'm having a superior dining experience.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We first went to Shakey Tables in 2001 and it was a much talked about experience because the food was amazing. We'd always planned to return but it took us 11 years to make it back to the area. We only wished we'd made it back sooner. It was simply amazing. The menu is unique and the flavours were as tantalising as we'd remembered. Now with another eleven years of dining experience to compare we still rate Shakey Tables as the best we've been to. And luckily there is accommodation on your doorstep so a long relaxed meal can be followed by a peaceful night's sleep, without having to drive on unfamiliar roads.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We went to this restaurant a few years back and I found it uncomfortable and pretentious. Recently gave them another go and found it a huge improvement and a good dining experience.
It was a lunch occasion and not very busy, but the service, food and wine list was perfect. The deserts are definately a must for the sweet tooth.
If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to improve the view - its tired and unattractive. It may not be an issue at night - but you are in the country and looking for a country experience