“Trying hard to be fine dining when it isn't. Disappointing to say the least.”
Review of le petit deux - CLOSED

le petit deux
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Trying hard to be fine dining when it isn't. Disappointing to say the least.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Valentines day dinner booked by hubby. They dont normally do dinner and we could tell why by the end of the night. Cannot understand why they decided to do degustations on such a busy night when they are obviously not capable of this.

Restaurant initially very busy - took a good 5-10mins for us to receive water and crumpled/dirty menus.

Food- generally mediocre with exceptionally small serving sizes.
Brunette waitress plonked my matching wines down without any explanation for the first few courses - obviously did not enjoy her job.
Grand hurrah was my final main consisting of a big chunk of lamb fat - no meat. Waiter apologised and offered another piece of meat but by this time we just wanted to get the meal over and done with.

Finally - wait staff mixed up our bill and overcharged us, let alone not charging us for the so called lamb dish.

Overall kitchen and wait staff struggled terribly all night. Incredibly there were many happy looking customers that night as well hence the mixed reviews I presume. Staff were quite oblivious to the fact that we were unhappy.

Please stay away from this so called restaurant - especially if they are having a "special" dinner night. I think customers deserve better than this kind of B grade service.

psaz, Owner at le petit deux, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Lambchop 123
I usually take negative reviews on sites such as these with a grain of salt (pardon the pun), as I realise that you can’t please everyone all the time. However, your ‘critique’ of how I run my restaurant has gone a little too far.
Before I respond to your review, it’s time that I have my say. These sites that have become a haven for amateur restaurant ‘critics’ have become ridiculous. Diners have every opportunity to express their dissatisfaction with whatever part of their experience to an establishment. Restaurants are run by people, not machines, who may sometimes not provide the customer with what they were hoping for. It is hoped that by a customer telling an establishment that they were not happy with certain aspects of their experience, that it gives that establishment an opportunity for them to rectify any problems that they had. Instead, people are turning to sites like these using anonymous user names in the hope of what – discrediting a chef’s reputation? Hoping to ruin a business? Or is it an attempt of the beginning a full fledge career as a restaurant critic?
Out of 52 diners who had degustations on Valentine’s dinner (believe it or not, we are open for dinner 4 nights per week) you were the only one who complained. Yes, I remember you. You said that your lamb rump was too fatty, to which a waiter offered another piece of lamb. You declined.
Secondly, your comment that ‘Trying hard to be fine dining when it isn't’…’is ignorant and uninformed. I deliberately moved away from fine-dining at my previous restaurants incarnation, to a more casual type environment where I wanted to serve meals that could be enjoyed by every-one and not cost the earth. If you wanted fine-dining you should have gone elsewhere. I suggest you research what a French bistro is.
I look forward to reading more of your reviews on other establishments with interest.

Wye, United Kingdom
“Great Food - talented Chef”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Delicious food, stylishly presented, excellent and knowledgable service. Was't sure about being on the pavement, however, all the tables inside were taken, in fact it was perfect and avoided the noise inside from a large party clealry having a good night out. One of our party thought that his pan fried fish was rather ordinary, the other three of us were delighted with our selections. We plan to return before we head back to the UK.

• Visited February 2013
“Best meal I've had”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've seen lots of negative reviews on here so I was a little hesitant but I went anyway &
I was blown away, the food was very flavoursom and presented very professionally, I highly recommended a visit ignore all the bad reviews they've got no idea what good food is!!!! Good work le petite Deux team you'll defiantly be seeing me again :)

“Duck confit for $18”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

For $18 a duck confit is very reasonable. I received the whole leg an assortment of vegetables and a very sweet braised cabbage to go with a poorly made glaze. My wife received a stuffed squid which was very large for the price, over all the food was okay, the service very poor and not knowledgable at all, the atmosphere okay but the Decor tacky. Probably wouldn't return, but not from spite just from I've had better. Half an hour into lunch service they'd sold out of duck confit

1 Thank Patesable
Canberra, Australia
“Delicious!”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My partner & I took my mum here for her birthday dinner, and we were not disappointed. All our meals were delicious, full of flavour and a work of art on the plate. By the time we had finished our meal we were quite satisfied. The service was adequate, but did not quite match the class of the food.
Just as an addition, I note that the reviews I pay attention to are reviewers who post multiple reviews on their experiences. It is interesting that most negative reviews are from reviewers who only post once or twice on Tripadvisor, then are never heard from again.

• Visited January 2013