“Delightful”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Here'n'there
“Delightful”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Lunch today at Le Petit Deux was just delightful, and I have to say the staff were very forgiving.

First, we had booked for 2pm, which is late enough, but then couldn't get there until 2.25. We did ring to say so - perhaps they were a bit more relaxed than they otherwise might have been because we were at least polite enough to let them know.

Anyway, we arrived, were seated, my dining companion had to nip off to the bathroom, but we were not hassled at all. I was able to decide pretty quickly what I'd have - duck liver parfait with vegetables - but my companion is currently on a very narrow medically-required diet, so she had to ask pretty careful what was in several dishes before she worked out what she could have - steak without the frites but with a salad.

I'll digress for a moment to say that the worst of Le Petit Deux is that the decor is fairly plain and the room a bit clattery, and that the pavement seating is fairly uninspiring, given that it's just Newcastle's King St; not that they can do much about that. I recommend staying inside.

We drank water (hot day) and chatted; the food doesn't arrive in a blinding flash because it's actually being prepared when you order it. That is, little or nothing is sitting on a shelf in the fridge half-prepared. The food arrived. The steak was done exactly as asked; my parfait was served with nicely crisp pieces of white toast. Tasted perfect; a little hint of seasoning but mostly just good pate, with very nicely chosen vegetables to accompany.

I asked our waitress (who I suspect was the owner) if we could still order dessert and coffee. I think only one other table still had customers, and by now it must have been 3.15pm at least - I know the kitchen expects to finish at 3. They still said yes, so we went about ordering quickly.

Dessert was beautifully presented. Sorry I can't quite remember all the details, but mine was basically berries and cream with crushed meringue, and my companion's was a strawberry presse (like a sweet terrine) with a little fresh strawberry, a berry coulis and some mandarin sorbet. All very good - light and sweet.

We didn't have wine, did have coffee, and the total was $76. It was a beautiful meal, very well presented, with prompt, friendly, well-informed and forgiving service. It's worth noting that we really needed to go into some detail about ingredients in order to find something to suit demanding dietary requirements, and this late in the day, but there was no hint of impatience or trouble.

Le Petit Deux started as a cafe version of Restaurant Deux, which was one of Newcastle's best for some years. The cafe version originally only served breakfast and lunch, but Restaurant Deux has closed and the cafe version has now taken on dinner as well on Wednesday through Saturday - I plan to try it!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Michael J

Australia
“Very Tasty Food & Prettily Laid Out”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I had dinner at Le Petit Deux. I had the ocean trout for entree and lamb rump for main, and he had the snail for entree and rabbit for main, then we shared the white chocolate parfait for dessert. All of our food were very delicious, each mouthful a delight! The food were laid out so well, with plenty of colours enhanced by little flowers and leaves that made them look so fresh and inviting. The service was great and so was the timely food delivery to our table. The ambience was convivial with many tables full. I liked that I could see the chefs in the kitchen preparing the meals. The value was great considering the food, wine & service received. Highly recommended for anyone who appreciates good food.

• Visited November 2012
Newcastle, Australia
“Always amazing.”
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

I can honestly say I have Never had any negative experiences at this restaurant! I have visited a few times over the last months and its always great! I normally go for the fish which it's always fresh. Highly recommended!

“French food at it's finest”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

What could be better than the hunter's finest produce and great French cookery? Nothing - and that's what makes Deux so good. Everything is meticulous, delicious and memorable.

I've been here a few times now, and each time I tell myself I need to go back more.

No doubt the room could do with a bit of a spruce up (and the bathrooms), but when you look and taste the food that's in front of you, it's easily forgotten.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“A good experience”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This place is fine dining in a intimate rustic brasserie-like environment. Food is French inspired but not completely authentic. The restaurant is quite relaxed and not stuffy, with attentive and present staff. We tried the testing menu with matching wines - which we all enjoyed.

• Visited October 2012