“Just the place for a special night.”
Review of le petit deux - CLOSED

le petit deux
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our group of four was celebrating a very special occasion and we all agreed that we could not have had a nicer evening.
The décor is just the right amount of minimalist, modern, and relaxed mixed with the charm of the lovely old building.
Service staff were attentive & knowledgeable, ready to offer suggestions if needed.
We enjoyed excellent meals which were all works of art, almost too good to eat. Servings are small but just enough so that you can enjoy 3 courses. I chose the Omelette with Spanner Crab, following up with Rabbit & Foie Gras Terrine. Even though they were both entrees I felt they were so full of flavour that I was not left hungry. For dessert I chose the Pave, which was truly art on a plate, delicious & and a generous serve. Not one of us was dissatisfied with our menu choices. And the French wines my husband chose complemented our meals perfectly.
Has been added to my list of places to visit again.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

As we were for the WE in Newcastle and as we love good food, we were looking for a good restaurant. After looking at all the good reviews, with picked the Restaurant deux.
Let's start with the positive part : the service was lovely. Sadly that's all we enjoyed! The starter of the day was a tiny tiny tiny portion of Yabbie (for 26$) in an extremely salty bouillon. Sometimes it can be small but amazing- it was small and bad. But not as much as the rillette/ foe gras served with disgusting toast cook in we assumed - duck fat ? While biting the bread, your mouth was filled with oil- buuuuhhhh. The rillette was not tasty and you couldn't taste the foie gras. (26$ as well...)

The main courses were allright. A bit too salty and honestly was very average. We took the duck and the lamb. 44$ each. You expect something. Anyway the rest of the dinner has been ruined by the teenagers laughing and cleaning the kitchen. The "chef " left while we were eating our starters... At 9pm while we were eating they were mopping the floor, dropping the casseroles ... Not very pleasant as you feel in a hurry to finish your meal and leave the restaurant.

The bill was 200 dollars - the food too salty, the portions tiny and globally it was not good and it was not French cuisine at all (i'm french!) l. We left having the feeling that we've been rip off.

4  Thank Vincent75012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Have visited for lunch and breakfast. Enjoyed each visit. The idea of a dish of the day with a glass of wine for lunch at $18.00 was great value. Typical French fare that i have enjoyed after a visit to France. Wine list is compact, service good and good coffee. Breakfast was filling and enjoyable. Would visit again in a heart beat.

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Elegant french cuisine, wonderfully cooked and beautifully presented.

A group of 16 enjoyed a magnificent meal in the upstairs private dining room. While the upstairs is very modest and misses the entertainment provided by the open kitchen in the downstairs dining room, the staff did a wonderful job of tending the needs of the group and efficiently serving the meals. Service could not be faulted - attentive, unintrusive and good humoured.

The meal was an absolute delight. While serving sizes are modest, the flavours and textures match the best french restaurants I have tried. And the plating simply took the breath away from many in our group. All complimented by a very good selection of wines.

I will definitely return to give the degustation offering a nudge.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My partner and I had an entree, main and dessert each and shared a bottle of wine. We also had the bread and were given a couple of extras. The food was exquisite, probably the best restsurant meal I've ever had.