“"Excellent location,good food mains extremely overpriced"”
Review of Rocksalt

Rocksalt
Ranked #291 of 563 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Rocksalt waterfront restaurant, the multi award-winning seafood restaurant on Newcastle Marina, is one of the Hunter Valley's finest dining venues. Rocksalt waterfront restaurant offers absolute waterfront dining either outside under the umbrellas, undercover on the verandah enjoying the fresh sea air in a true al fresco environment, or inside in air-conditioned comfort. Rocksalt waterfront restaurant welcomes both locals and international business guests and their clients, providing exceptional personal service in a quiet and private atmosphere that is sure to impress. Rocksalt waterfront restaurant is happy to oblige any of your special requests, from a seat in the sun to special dietary requirements. Simply ask when making your booking. Rocksalt waterfront restaurant - open seven days for lunch and dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings. Jo and the team look forward to welcoming you to Rocksalt Waterfront Restaurant.
Newcastle, Australia
“"Excellent location,good food mains extremely overpriced"”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We celebrated our daughter's birthday taking her to lunch together with her in-laws & husband, this was our first visit to the Rocksalt, the location is very nice with the view of the mariner, the entre's were great the mains were great but very small (mains) overpriced considering the portion size, we eat at a lot of restaurants & my wife & daughter are not big eaters but found the portions very small.We were a group of 6 and there were 2 tables of 2, service could have been a little quicker & maybe if they reveiw there pricing for mains they may fill a few more tables.Definately not suitable for the young family.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank bobbys237

Pokolbin, Australia
“THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE EVER”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

4 of us booked a table for 7.30pm. We arrived a few mins early and were not taken to our table but pointed in the direction. 20 mins later no-one had come near us. We managed to wave a waiter over and asked for the drinks list. Another 15 mins and no-one near us again. We had to yet again wave down a waiter. We ordered a bottle of wine and 2 beers. The wine arrived within 5 mins but we had to ask twice more for the beers. We then again had to wave down a waiter and ask for menu's and water. Another 15 mins and we again had to wave down a waiter and ask to have our order taken. We order 4 entrees and 4 mains. Our mains arrived at the table at 9.55pm - almost 2.5 hours after we had arrived. This is totally unacceptable. The couple we were dining with knew the owner and pointed her out to us - she came no-where near us all evening.

I will never return to this restaurant and strongly suggest that you never bother. Interestingly most of the review for this place ready along the same vane. If only I had looked at Tripadvisor before going here. The owners seriously need to do something if they want this business to continue.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Bremabian
Newcastle, Australia
“Rocksalt rock bottom for service”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Well it was my birthday and i had family that had travelled from Sydney and Bathurst and i decided that this was a very lovely place on the marina and it is a lovely place to eat if you like to wait. When we arrived I was greeted with a complimentary glass of bubbly, but alas my party of 7 had to wait 25mins for any one to come and get the drinks order. Then another 20mins to take order.Then again we had to wait for entrees.All our orders had been mixed up and when they finally arrived I ordered the Sea Scallops very nice $18 for 3 yep 3 scallops that was all on the biggest plate you had seen. Our breads turned up with the mains but before that the waiter asked if we would like to see the desert menu Well NOT HAPPY JAN!!! Our Waitress had blamed the new girl for stuffing up the order but stating that "that was the new girl's fault" but it was she who had taken the order. nice brush off love, but weren't we pissed off when the mains came out and they were stuffed up as well . Two entrees turned up for one of the party when one was to be served as a main. So who, we ask, was responsible for this appalling dining experience ? Only the chef escapes criticism. If you want an aaaallllll nnnnniiiigghhhttt dining experience with lots of drinks promptly served while you wait, this is the place for you. If there are two of you , you'll get better service,cause they can't handle groups over two.I as the birthday would like to give a big Thankyou to the fisherman who caught the Lobster that i pre ordered it was absolutly beautiful. So Rocksalt if you would like to have a more pleasing revue of your restaurant than i would suggest that maybe the main staff would benefit some severe training with tafe in hospitality SERVICE and then it will a dining pleasure

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Marg C
“So disappointing don't waste your money”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

So dissatisfied with this experience we went there for an anniversary & valentines day dinner .especially we went for lobster which was advertised on their website.when I asked about it the waitress said we have no lobster that must be an old website which is there current website as that's how we found them.we order brusettta which was $15 two small thin pieces of bread two slices tomato.. and then i ordered sirloin steak with king prawns plural.. it took well over an hour to cook came out" black &tough "and no bigger than the size of my palm of my hand ..I spat it out it the meat was so tough and charcoal i did ask for welldone but not burnt...it had "one prawn "with a tablespoon of what looked liked runny instant mash! I told the waitress she took it back I was left sitting there while my husband ate all his meal and i was left waiting when she came back to clear my husbands meal she asked if we wanted deserts completly ignored that my dinner was missing and didnt do anything to rectify it..had to ask her twice are you doing something about it while a dog was walking around the restraunt and was at our table sniffing at my husbands meal!!..i have evidence of this.the response of all this was you have to pay my boss said because" you ate half "I was so upset at this response they didn't even care I only had a bite and spat it out left the meat& prawn "one prawn " supposed be prawns !!!..but because it was a bit bigger you only get one!!!..then I was ignored again for another 15 mins she handed us the bill I refused to pay for mine..I've been in the hospitality industry for years and never been left with such a bad experience food terrible customer service terrible I was avoided the situation was handled terribly and I will never return ruined what was to be a lovely evening!!!still had to pay I was so amazed when knowing how bad the service was she said I didn't charge you for the drinks unbelievable!! which was $9 a glass wine where has making a customer happy gone& return business is everything these days.

2 Thank Jpadd
“Best dining experience ever!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to rocksalt for the first time as it was my birthday. My partner had told them when booking the table that it was my birthday and when we arrived they brought a glass of complimentary bubbly which I found to be a very nice touch. We ordered the seafood platter which tasted just beautiful. There wasn't a lot of the octopus on the plate but they made up for it with the mussells! Overall, the service was just perfect. Our waitress was so friendly and definitely did her best to make sure it was the best dining experience in Newcastle by far!

1 Thank Ali_gal11