“Great food but over the top service”

Ristorante Il Grifone
Ranked #207 of 562 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
sydney
“Great food but over the top service”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Situated on the Honeysuckle strip of restaurants means there is stiff competition here. The food was very good. Scallop entree was sublime, antipasti plate was fresh with good variety of ingredients. Vegetables, meats but no cheese. Main meal of beef cheeks was excellent. Good flavours and tender as would be expected. Prices very good. Service was the big let down. It was a very quiet night and there were four wait staff on. We met them all, several times. Having conversation interrupted by four different people checking in drinks etc was just plain annoying after awhile. I know it's hard to project staffing demands and requirements but the needs to be a clear system in place so that diners are not harassed.

• Visited November 2013

Sydney
“Slow service - Oily food”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The restaurant has a large menu and adequate wine list. The food was disappointing, the salad was soggy and my main course was oily. There were only two other people in the place - I should have realised something was wrong especially as "Silo" next door was pumping.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank EricJ123
Newcastle, Australia
“A very pleasant experience”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The food was very good and well priced. The meal sizes were a good size, you could have an entree and a main and actually finish it without feeling bloated. I had the cuttlefish ink pasta stuffed with seafood and it was perfectly cooked. My husband had the rabbit and wanted to eat another serving he loved it so much. The service was great and they were all very accommodating and friendly.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank LaurenHemp
“Don't waste ur money”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Went there with a group of 12, we were rushed into ordering, then water came back 3 times as were out of food on menu at 7pm on a sat night. ( n wasn't busy) ordered drinks 3 times n still didn't get it. Had to get up n go to them. We're told not to bother talking to owner as he was too cranky. Tried to complain to wait staff only to find our waiter in which we wanted to complain about was the manager!!! Waste of $500

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank joeyjoj
Newcastle, Australia
“Great atmosphere, not much else...”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

You can't treat people so poorly and expect to get paid, let alone the prices being charged. We are regulars at Honeysuckle, but as we had the in laws with us we went to this restaurant as opposed to another venue as it was quieter. What a mistake.... If you want me to pay $18 for a dessert then don't give me staff in polo shirts and Doc Martins. Be polite to customers guys... Don't walk up to a table and say 'we have no potatoes'. There wasn't any apology attached to any of the statements, or even much an offer to supply something else. My mother in law asked for a tomato bruschetta to share better four. We got 4 pieces of mixed bruschetta and told that's what was on the menu. I can't say much for the others meals but my young chicken was bony and so much sinew there was little meat to eat on it. The Mediterranean vegetables were smothered in oil. Probably the worst meal combined with the worst service I have ever come across. I can usually find something salvageable out of an evening but not last night.

• Visited October 2013