“Very disappointing!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silo Restaurant and Lounge Bar

Silo Restaurant and Lounge Bar
Ranked #96 of 553 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Newcastle's' hottest cocktail lounge and restaurant, Silo Restaurant & Lounge, is this month celebrating their 11th birthday. Since bursting onto our culinary experience radars in 2004, this sophisticated, boutique, harbour side restaurant & bar, has become a favorite among many Novocastrians and visiting tourists alike.
Lake Macquarie, Australia
“Very disappointing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were a little surprised to be told that we couldn't sit outside for lunch without a reservation unless we wanted to sit at a table in the sun. We opted to sit inside as we didn't want to add sunburn to our visit. We ordered beer battered fish and chips and the best part of the meal was the salad. The batter was deep fried just short of being burnt - very dark, dry and hard. The shoestring chips were straight out of a packet and tasted as though they were cooked in stale oil. As I had a visitor eating with us, I didn't want to make a fuss, when really I should have quietly sent the meal back. Waitresses were lovely, but over attentive and constantly interrupting, until it came time to pay for the bill when they didn't see us at all. I wouldn't be in a hurry to return and I am surprised that the chef even let this meal out of the kitchen! When did their standards drop so low??

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank lizg007
NewcastleMark, Owner at Silo Restaurant and Lounge Bar, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Hi Lizg007,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your experience here with us.
What a shame you couldn't have done the same when you were here and allowed us to fix the problem for you, we would have been very obliging.
Here at Silo Restaurant and Lounge, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction and it appears we have fallen short of that goal this time around and for that, I apologise.
Lunches do indeed get quite busy and most (if not all) of the nice tables under the shade outside are reserved for people who make reservations, that makes sense doesn't it?
How would you feel if you had made a reservation on a lovely table outside under the shade and when you turn up, we had given the table to someone else who had walked in off the street?
We serve over 1500 people per week and occasionally (like in any industry) things don't always go according to plan, that's why we check on all customers once they have received their meals, ask how things were upon paying the account and we also provide feedback cards to all tables.
We always try our best to fix mistakes for our guests to ensure they leave happy, however it's almost impossible to try and fix anything once they have left and gone straight to TripAdvisor to leave bad feedback.
I am sorry that your experience with us was not everything that you had hoped it would be, I can only ensure that we will continue our strive for improvement in everything we do.
Hopefully one day you will return to give us another go, and if you do, please phone ahead, that way we will ensure that you get one of those lovely tables out the front under the shade.

Yours in hospitality,
Paul Davies

sydney
“great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

will definitely come back! great food choice, service and location.
most times busy need to make reservation.

Visited January 2013
NewcastleMark, Owner at Silo Restaurant and Lounge Bar, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Hi Gemini,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some kind words...!
It is so nice to hear that people really appreciate what we are trying to achieve here.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Paul Davies and The Team @ Silo.
Newcastle, Australia
“Leisurely lunch excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Came here on a weekday for a leisurely lunch with a friend. Were surprised to enjoy excellent service - often weekdays are not always well staffed in other venues. Very attentive waitress.

Meals were wonderful, and promptly served. We spent probably 2 hours just watching the ships sail past, and the waitstaff seemed happy to accommodate us.

We shared a salted caramel tart with popcorn ice cream for dessert and it was AMAZING!

As for the price - well, I imagine we are paying for the location and the service, as well as the food. So I was expecting to pay a little more than the average cafe lunch, and I did.

I am keen to try a degustation dinner - probably with the beers.

• Visited August 2012
Hi Justine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your experience here.
Dining here at Silo Restaurant mid-week is often very serene and peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle of the weekends; I'm glad you agree with me!

We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Yours in hospitality,
Paul Davies
Penrith, Australia
“Great location, good food...but”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

The service was pretty poor, which was so disappointing! Honestly, you can't get a better location, right on the Harbour in the Honeysuckle precinct of Newcastle. We sat outside and watched a pod of dolphins cruise along just meters from us.

Breakfast was good, but the service was really slow. 15 minutes before the coffee arrived is too long in my opinion. Water glasses weren't brought until we were halfway through our meal. The meal took about 45 minutes to arrive and was delicious when we did get it.

A request for a second coffee took so long I canceled it and it arrived anyway. The restaurant is beautifully appointed, there seemed to be plenty of staff for a busy but not chaotically busy Sunday morning breakfast. They didn't seem to have any direction and seemed to spend a lot of time chatting. The staff were very pleasant, I have no complaints with their manner.

I would go again for the location, ambience and food but at least I will know to be prepared for a wait. My rating for value would have been higher had the service been a little more prompt.

Hi Showhorse68,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience.
Not knowing exactly which date you joined us, I am unable to offer a potential explanation as to what may have occured during your visit.
I have passed on your comments to all the staff and have made them aware.
Here at Silo Restaurant and Lounge we strive for 100% customer satisfaction but it appears we have fallen short this time around, and for that I apologise.

We do hope you give us another chance to experience our usual high levels of service.

The Team @ Silo.
Newcastle, Australia
“Delish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Excellent service, delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere. Will definitely come back again soon. Thankyou Silo :-)

• Visited January 2013
Hi Sophie!

Thank you so much for the lovely review!
We hope to see you sooner rather than later...!

The Team @ Silo