“Great food, great service, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bacchus - CLOSED

Bacchus
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Australia
“Great food, great service, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a wonderful restaurant for a special night . We have only tried the degustation menu but on both occasions the food has been inventive and beautifully presented. The matched wines added to the taste sensation. We'll be back!

• Visited June 2013

Harpenden
“Superb food at a reasonable price. Good wine list also”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lovely atmosphere combined with excellent cooking make this the best value in Quinta do Lago. Excellent wines at reasonable prices as well. Have not tried the tapas but they look good.

• Visited June 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“A little disappointing this time around”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I was recently here for a 5 course wine matching dinner and it's honestly the first time the wine far outweighed the quality of the food. I have dined at Bacchus twice before and can only go when I can really afford to go, as I am in the hospitality industry and only have certain nights free. Before last week, I held this place in very high regard, but it has sadly taken a tumble in my opinion. When you charge $120 per person, you expect very high calibre in all areas. The service was as always terrific, it was the menu that was the REAL letdown. No boundary-pushing flavour combinations, portions were inadequate and didn't compliment the outstanding wine. I hope to return sometime, please keep your eye on the ball guys, especially when you have to compete with the likes of Subo.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RandyJ137
Newcastle, Australia
“Gastronomic gouge - Degustation – a cautionary tale”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Armed with a $100 gift voucher trousered for Christmas I was keen to try Bacchus and compare this with the many excellent restaurants Newcastle boasts but what later appeared to have been a contrived "waiting list”, given 3 hours notice to arrive at 6pm and the revelation that Saturday night was a degustation evening with no a la carte menu should have induced caution. In the spirit of the evening my bride and I opted for the degustation menu (six courses) with the restaurant’s choice of wine and reasoned that the hefty tariff would be worthwhile for the experience. Now, with the opening course headed "Newcastle Rockpool" one would assume something tasty from our blessed shoreline accompanied by a wine from - say Margaret River or something really original – the Hunter Valley - but instead the offering was tiny , bland if not tasteless and accompanied by a forgettable imported wine I think from Portugal. This I am afraid to say set the tone for the evening. Australians long ago ceased to be impressed by imported wines simply because ours are far more palatable and complement our home grown produce in a way that rock and stone from ones local area enhances a good garden. After another two pedestrian and stock cubed sized courses accompanied by adequate but perfunctory service we arrived at the main consisting of Kangaroo. The miniscule marsupial morsels, while nicely cooked were less than impressive in the context and again served with a French red more at home with a cheap plate of spaghetti. Why do we insist on hauling coal to Newcastle as it were? Two tiny desert courses plus coffee and the evening was all but over save for the final bill of $414.00. I presented my voucher and the final came to $322.00. Wait a minute.. $414 less $100 used to be $314. I drew mien host’s attention to the discrepancy and was refunded $7 – go figure. If the degustation was to showcase “chef’s” finer talents and achievements, don’t bother. The choice of wine seemed more a clean out of the less popular labels from the cellar and while the building and decor are impressive, the lack of engagement by this establishment’s considerable staff is not. We knew the cost beforehand and this is not the problem. The quotidian and banal of life is. Old Bacchus would have been bored, hungry and much poorer for the experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kym H
Alexandra Headland, Queensland, Australia
“Great For Special Occasions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten at Bacchus five times in the last two years. It is expensive but the food, the service, the wine list and the great little touches make it the best special occasion or indulgence restaurant experience in Newcastle. On the last visit we took local friends along and there was no disappointment. We have now moved away from Newcastle but we will be back to Bacchus whenever we visit.

Visited November 2012