“Expensive with a Great View”

Scratchley's on the Wharf Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 587 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Scratchley's is situated on Newcastle harbour, providing a wonderful view whilst enjoying your meails. However, there is certainly a premium put on top of the listed prices because of this.

The food was pretty good but I can't regard it being good value.
Service was excellent and very helpful.

Will likely return but short of a perfect review due to it's average-poor value for money.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great location.... But! ....... When I made a reservation I specifically asked for a window table and even booked a later time to ensure that. When we arrived we were seated in the middle of the room, ...surrounded.... I asked if we could be moved and was told, very abruptly, that it wasn't their policy to guarantee window tables. We pointed out that there were a number of vacant window tables, if they weren't 'guaranteed'. We were told it wasn't possible to move us. After sitting there for 15 mins and seeing another group of 4 seated by the window, we decided to leave, and ate elsewhere on the foreshore... Ruined my planned birthday dinner !

1  Thank cmk4444
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We picked this restaurant at the last minute whilst out driving. Four for lunch, we just walked in and as it was getting later, we scored a table on the river side, which has a brilliant view. As we found out though, on a very hot afternoon this might not be the best place to sit as it is very hot and neither the air con, nor the open window slats helped with that. The service from staff was attentive and friendly. Entrees of seafood chowder were very tasty, not so impressed by the sundried tomato and Parmesan on sour dough. The main... Three of the party shared a seafood platter which was excellent! The forth person had the satay prawn dish which again was excellent. We would definitely recommend this restaurant based on our experience and would certainly return.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The venue is superb, we were filled with optimism when we sat down this was slightly dispelled when the waitress when asked what wine she would suggest with our seafood basket, said"I wouldn't know i only like sweet wine" Surely the waiters could be briefed and taught a little better!!
the seafood basket was splendid looking but the crab and balmain bugs were very ordinary in taste. Overall a good place for a special occasions when food quality and service is not as important as venue and very varied menu.
The take away however looked excellent.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

The setting is great, lots of promise straight up. A couple of ales for starters, then the garlic bread arrived...What the? Garlic bread consisted of split roll with cheap garlic out of a jar delivering that horrible sour after taste. The 2009 Running Of The Bulls Tempranillo arrived...partner mentioned that the wine was quite light and thin on the palate. A check of the label revealed it to be a 2011 vintage! "Is everything all right sir?", "Definitely not".
Next, Madam's prawn twisters with Thai dipping sauce arrived along with my Golden seafood platter. The twisters were not made on site but came out of a packet along with the twisters and fish fillet on my plate.
Next the Maitre D was over with a "What's up here?" Demand. I explained politely that if I was paying $40 for a bottle of wine then I expected to get that as promised and added my distaste for the garlic bread and heated up frozen food items in abundance on our plates.
Will we go back? Never!!!

3  Thank Rom B