“Never again”

Scratchley's on the Wharf Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 561 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntervalley
“Never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have visited Scratchley's many times over the years for functions, family celebrations & with a friend. I have always been happy with the service & have never experienced such rude staff & service as I did that night. Based on previous experience I took family members from overseas for a quiet dinner. I was very disappointed in the location where we were seated. A table next to the window overlooking the path. I did ask for a window table but was told these were taken. The restaurant was not full & during our whole visit the table I requested remained vacant as did many others facing the harbour. The area where we were seated was freezing with a cold draught over the 3 of us. I asked if we could be moved to another area but was rudely refused despite only a handful of patrons seated. One staff member spilt wine over one of my guests as he was not concentrating but looking at another staff member who had rudely interrupted him. He also split a glass of water over the lap of one of my guests. Unfortunately whilst the food as always was well presented, & delicious this did not compensate for us being frozen during our meal. The only explanation given by a staff member for this draught was the airconditioner & the closeness of the table to the window. The patrons who were seated at a table away from the window also complained of the cold. I will never visit Scratchley's again.

• Visited August 2012

Newcastle, Australia
“Dinner with the girls food and service fab!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Midweek dinner with some girlfriends. Service was prompt and staff knowledgable about menu. Food was delicious and came out promptly. Wine menu is extensive with a range of priced wine. I have enjoyed many meals at this restaurant with lovely views of harbor. Will go again!

• Visited December 2012
“Can't believe the variation in the reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I were wavering on whether to try this restaurant because of the variation in the reviews so I contacted an experienced reviewer who gave us the confidence to try Scratchley's. We are so glad we did. We had their grilled seafood platter and thought it was wonderful, and no chips....fantastic! We topped it off with a bottle of Pol Roger (they had the most beautiful champagne glasses we have seen). This restaurant was a highlight of our Newcastle visit (beside the Caravan and Camping Show where we bought a new van). The uniforms looked great, the service was A1 and the view was lovely. The only thing we thought was unusual was the number of Newcastle lads who turned up with beautifully dressed partners who had made a real effort and the lads were sporting black thongs althought the chap next to us did make an effort. His thongs were green!

Bathurst, Australia
“Dissapointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

We came to Newcastle for our 35th wedding anniversary. We were recommended to Scratchley's by several people. I first sent an email booking request a couple of weeks ahead of our date that was read but not answered after a week, so my husband rang. The girl didn't know anything about email bookings! He told her of our celebration and asked for a window seat for 2. He was told very abruptly that they couldn't guarantee this at all, even thought it was more than a week away. So my husband asked if we could, at least have a quiet table, but NO! once again this wasn't possible. He booked anyway feeling quite disappointed. I decided to ring the next day to see if someone else was taking bookings. I was told very rudely by the same girl that it was policy not to guarantee windows even if it was a special occasion and she had already told my husband this! I was upset by the staff member's attitude. I know she doesn't make policy and if she had behaved better, I might have accepted these conditions, but felt if her attitude was indicative of the rest of the restaurant then customer service was not high on their priorities. I cancelled the booking on the spot. I work in customer service in a hospital and know the need to approach people properly, obviously this restaurant doesn't.

1 Thank gpgang
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Happy Birthday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

It was for a birthday dinner for family. The service was very good and were quiet attentive to our needs without asking. The food was very fresh all diners enjoyed all or their meals. The view although raining was just how I remembered as a child. The ambience was good and the restaurant was spacious. There was quiet a lot of variety on the menu. It was a great overall experience. The staff were friendly, organised and polite.