“Total dining experience!”

Scratchley's on the Wharf Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 558 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newcastle, Australia
“Total dining experience!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

From making the reservation to paying the bill, Scratchleys ticks all the boxes. Awesome location, backed up by attentive service, great wine list and a menu that caters for all tastes.

• Visited September 2012

Brisbane, Australia
“Good quality seafood - nice location”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was in Newcastle on business and stopped at Scratchleys for some fish - and I'm glad I did. It was a Tuesday night and the restaurant was fairly quiet when I arrived but filled up quickly. I had a mixed grilled seafood antipasto starter which consisted of prawns, squid, baby octopus, fish and mussels with a pesto drizzle. It was really good. I then had a cod main course which was perfectly cooked. Cheese and biccies to finish. A couple of glasses of wine and a couple of boutique beers to wash it down. An excellent meal at a fair, but certainly not bargain, price. Service was friendly and attentive. Very hard to criticise anything.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Karl J
“Spanish night and scratchleys.”
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Scratchleys has always been a place in Newcastle as long as I can remember. The food is always good and the staff r always lovely to talk with. But one thing that has always been a turn off for me is the fact that they don't don't change. When I heard they were doing a Spanish evening every week in September I said I had to go and experience what they r truly capable of doin. And I wasn't disappointed. The food was amazing. 4 courses of hand made Spanish food accompanied by Spanish wines that just tasted amazing. The atmosphere was electric. 4 separate bookings all on one table talking and mingling with each other and really just having a good time. 5 stars from me and well done to all the staff :).

Newcastle, Australia
“great spot and food”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we love going there the staff are well trained and friendly ,
the food is always great with a wide variety of wines to choose from .
I think it is a must hen you have over seas visitors , where else can you eat great food and look at our wonderful harbor .

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank crop1959
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Absolutely disgusting.

On a recent weekend away in Newcastle, my partner and I decided on Scratchleys for a "romantic" Saturday night dinner. What we got was an overpriced, disgusting, noisy waste of time and money.

Firstly the food - my partner ordered the surf and turf with cream pesto sauce, which was one of the most expensive items on the menu. What he got was a bowl full of cream pesto sauce and he might as well have been fishing out the front of the restaurant for the rest of his meal. When he managed to locate the steak buried under the mound of sauce, what he found was a fatty piece of steak that tasted off - perhaps that was the reason for burying it under so much sauce. There was also a few pieces of seafood somewhere amongst the mess on his plate but it was inedible due to the amount of sauce covering it. The whole thing was presented shockingly and worse - the food was of terrible quality.

I ordered the scallops. Thankfully, my meal was actually edible but nothing special and again the presentation left a lot to be desired. I would consider it a way overpriced entree at best.

Atmosphere - a large part of the clientele appeared to consist of hen and stag parties. Perhaps this is the market that Scratchleys should try to corner in the hope that they will be too drunk to realise how bad the food is. Perhaps there is a good view? We couldn't see it as we were seated on other side of the restaurant.

Service - almost non existent. When asked how my meal was, I responded "not great" - the waitress laughed nervously, collected our plates and walked away!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing more was said/done about it!

Verdict - would have been more satisfied with a takeaway pie from the street vendor across the road.

• Visited August 2012