“Beware the hidden costs!!”

Lans Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #224 of 619 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Steamed rice for 4 people $32!! $10 "Sunday surcharge". What the?

Food was average (far from traditional viet). Friend's soup contained off squid.

Worst dining experience we have had in Newcastle!

1  Thank Mmaram

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went there for a birthday dinner for my partner with our family, that I had pre-booked a week in advance to turn up and they did not have us (a group of 7) booked in at all and even asked us if we had the right resturant?!

We waited 1 hour for entrees - one of which did not even come to the table! and another hour for mains - two of which did not come to the table!

When going to pay, we stated that we would not be paying for the food because of the atrocious service and we were told "you have to". After a heated discussion with the waiter about the time it took to bring us our meals and the fact that they could not even take a booking, the best he could offer us was a "15% discount". We left the resturant without paying $75 of a $275 bill.

He then said, and I quote, "Thank you, but you are welcome to not come back".

... with pleasure.

1  Thank Angela W
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've been disappointed with the Thai restaurants here so we tried Vietnamese instead. Having never been to Vietnam I'm not sure on the authenticity - while the satay was really good I thought it came from Malaysia, maybe I'm wrong!
Anyway service was swift and food was tasty, would go there again.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We're on a quest to find the best Vietnamese restaurant in Newcastle. Unfortunately I can't say we found it at Lans. Don't get me wrong, the food is ok if a little inauthentic, the decor pleasant if slightly dated, and the prices reasonable even with wine. The best thing about Lans however is the service which was fast, friendly and efficient the night we ate there. Maybe that would explain why Lans is as universally popular as it seems to be?

Reviewed April 15, 2012

great, cheap food with huge servings. i come here quite often and have never had a bad meal!