“Home away from Home, cat included”
Review of Central Apartments

Central Apartments
Ballarat, Australia
“Home away from Home, cat included”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Looking for somewhere in the area for my Mother for a weekend, I was lucky enough to be able to inspect the apartment beforehand with the owner.
I was pleasantly surprised with the size and cleanliness for the room, and my Mother was more than comfortable and felt very safe staying here by herself, and we were both impressed by the friendly courtyard cat.
Could not recommend these apartments enough to anybody needing to stay in the Hamilton area.

Room Tip: The courtyard off the courtyard rooms is a lovely place for afternoon tea.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

When we first arrived outside, it was where are we and what have I done, this looks awful and in the middle of nowhere there was pressure from my partner to just drive away and findsomething else. Thankfully I said no lets look inside. I am glad I did It was very comfortable and quiet and we enjoyed our weekend there. Will definitely stay again if we are in Newcastle
Leon

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I travel regularly to the Hamilton area to visit friends, and I haven't stayed anywhere other than here since I found Central Apartments. (Except for once when they were booked out.) The suites are spacious and comfortable, and while I generally only stay for a weekend they would be roomy enough to stay/work for a month. I can see why there would be lecturers and students staying there for short periods - especially being so close to such a large TAFE.

As our Newcastle jaunts generally mean driving from Sydney on a Friday afternoon/evening after work, I really appreciate the key pickup facility, since it's unlikely that we'd ever make it there while the front desk is attended. But I'll make the effort, because I really want to meet Mrs Ross (she sounds like a wonderfully efficient host).

The rooms are spotlessly clean, well supplied and modern, and I *haven't* *ever* thought "oh well, at least the bed's OK and we're only here to sleep". The split kingsize beds are a dream (with my tossing and turning partner, I have seldom had a better night's sleep), and my own favourite touch of lots of spare pillows is well catered for.

I always like a full kitchen (even if I haven't used it yet), just in case bacon and eggs at home are a better idea than a short walk into Hamilton for a cafe breakfast. Or dinner. It's not surprising that what has for a long time been such a vibrant area is now expanding, and challenging pre-conceptions about the area. When I lived around there in the 1990's Islington was a place for students because it was cheap and neglected, but very close to busses (to uni and the beach) and trains, as well as the services and vibe of Hamilton.

How times have changed! Now, because of the proximity to Hamilton the properties are starting to get too expensive for students - but the fact that it's a convenient central place to stay hasn't changed.

I am only rating the service as very good because I haven't actually met anyone face-to-face - although you don't need to. Once I had a problem with retrieving my key, but it only took one short phone call to sort it out, and I was throwing my bag on the bed in less time than it takes to check into a hotel. The value is great for the location and the services and the rooms are calm, clean and modern.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the upper level - the atrium up there is surprisingly spacious and I do like the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank louise_fisher
gorokan,australia
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I have read the negative comments here and can't really understand those that have left them. I stayed with my partner and we particularly needed accommodation in the Islington or Hamilton area. The location was perfect for us. Yes, it does appear to be an old warehouse or similar, converted to modern apartments - but who cares what the outside looks like? The outside appearance is well-disguised - you would drive/walk right by and not realize that there were apartments inside. Once inside the appearance changes dramatically.

We booked a King room were offered a free upgrade to the Deluxe Courtyard room, which we accepted, and it was extremely well presented, very clean and tidy - and it had all modern furnishings and appliances. The apartment was large and roomy with a separate lounge/kitchen. The bathroom is clean and modern. There was no 'damp' or smoke smells - and there is no smoking in the apartments ($200 cleaning penalty applies to those who choose to ignore this rule).

The courtyard is indeed a paved area that was once a driveway, but once again, who cares what it used to be? There is outdoor furniture and it is pleasant enough - plus if you do smoke you can slide open the door and duck outside for a gasper whenever you want without breaking the "no-smoking in the apartment" rule. Very convenient if you ask me.

The bed is a 'split king' - but this is pretty normal in my experience - aren't king-size beds usually sold this way? We found the bed to be extremely comfortable and slept well. The area is quiet at night and we didn't hear a sound. As for a complaint from another reviewer about noisy guests, I guess you could get them, but this really is the luck of the draw - I've had inconsiderate neighbours in many different accommodations over the years so fail to see how this can adversely affect anyone's review of a hotel - this isn't really a valid complaint as I see it.

As for Islington - it is an inner-city suburb. When you get inner-city anywhere in the world, you get crime. I have a friend that has lived in Islington for many years and he has never had a problem. I visit there regularly and I have never seen a problem. My car is parked on the street at night often and it has never been broken into. My house was once broken into - it is in a nice suburb and I have ocean/lake views - does that make it a 'bad place'? Inner-city suburbs are often crowded places, with older houses/accommodation that has been built many years ago - inner-city suburbs are generally not modern and Islington is in keeping with the era in which it was established. I have no problems with the location of these apartments at all.

Parking? Yes - it would be nice to have a parking area reserved for guests, but again, city real estate is expensive. The city hotels charge upwards of $15 per day for parking on top of the room-rental. I had no issues parking in the street outside - there seems to be plenty of parking within 50 metres of the front door.

And finally - no, it is not close to the beach. And the map clearly shows that...

I would highly recommend these apartments.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank marksjohnson
Canberra
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I read the negative comments with some concern but all of these were alleviated when I checked in. Staff are friendly, helpful and professional in a casual, family way. I organised everything via email and phone and everything went smoothly - i didn't need to 'see' the staff. Getting in and out was no problem. Room was clean, tidy and had everything as advertised. Parking was not an issue. As for the smoking comments, well I think this is a problem that until recently all accommodation providers struggled with but laws have changed and there was no stale smoke smell (they do have the right to charge a special cleaning fee to remove smoke-smell). Property is modern, freshly painted, and gardens are nicely maintained. I've stayed in big-city/chain providers but this is family run, it's a small property and I liked it. For price, location, value and convenience you can't beat it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank NickBrodie
Bribane
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I too feel like I have been let down by this place. It is no where near the beach and is in a very dodgy part of town. We saw the place and the "free off street parking" phoned our business clients that we were meeting with over the next 4 days and they advised to find other accommodation. so we decided to stay elsewhwere. The "courtyard" is an ex carport area and is very small. After we booked Noahs on the beach in Newcastle we felt much safer. The other business people we were meeting with (who were locals) laughed when we said where we had booked in Islington, the local paper reported that 6 men were caught breaking into cars in that area so we felt our decision was justified. We did our money as they refused to refund even a part of our cost. Stay elsewhere is my best advice!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank Jack5633

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed February 2, 2009

After we booked, friends said the area was BAD but the booking did not allow for cancellation.
The area around is very rundown and questionable but the apartments are nice inside. The neighbours are anti and object to the parking.
The photo of the "patio" is really a con as it is just astrip of tarmac some 3 metres wide running along the side of the building shared by the apartments.
Generally it was quiet but one night (fortunately our last) was very noisy with a crowd partying on the patio until someone called the police (1 am).
They have tried to make the best of the place and as a very cheap apartment it would be fine but it is not that cheap.
There are lots of better value accommodation in Newcastle and its surrounding areas if we had known -- the map suggests it is near the beach -- NO.

• Liked — Not a lot
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank docGlasgow
geearr, manager at Central Apartments, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Thank you for your feed back.

Central Apartments is a small complex with a 3.5 star rating.
Our 'Policy Terms & Conditions Disclosure Statement' is clearly stated on our websites.

We have both Standard & Delux Apartments.

You booked a standard 'Mid Week Special' Apartment general chosen by students.

We offered you an upgrade to a Delux Courtyard Apartment' you declined.

We 'on sold' & refunded 4 nights of your 8 nights booked.

You stayed for 1 night out of your 8 nights booked.

We are an Apartment Complex & not a Hotel.

We have & advertise 'split king beds' as king beds are unmanageable for us.

We provide accommodation to the corporate client & the TAFE education colledge.

We are sorry if it did not meet your requirement.