“Best breakfast ever”

Chaucer Palms Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 28 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay which came about because we cancelled a booking at another location. So a quick call and we were able to get something at short notice. Early check-in was appreciated. Room was very spacious and well appointed. Bed was very spacious (ok, it was a king sized bed) and very comfortable. Breakfast was the best ever (yes, it was that good).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Recently stayed at Chaucer for an overnight stay in Newcastle.
Hosts were extremely accommodating with anything we needed.
The room was modern, facilities were excellent & the bed was extremely comfortable.
Great location, central to the hub of Beaumont Street.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

On arrival we were made to feel very welcome after a lengthy drive, lovely beer for my fiance and wine for myself with complimentary cheese and crackers.
Loved the mod cons, our room was cosy and impeccably clean.
Quiet and in a convenient location.
As we are required to travel here every 6 months for appointments at John Hunter, we will certainly be returning next time!
Thank you Julie, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am not normally a fan of B&B's but this set up is really excellent (B&B is separated from main dwelling very nicely) and very non-intrusive, the service is very good and the hosts are really great - and it is a good location. I had to go on to Sydney for business via the train (which is really simple from here) and my wife stayed over and they really looked after her until I returned several days later. Breakfast was really nice as was sundowners with the hosts Julie and Peter (if you want) - and I could get my car off street. Local food options for dinner are also good.

Room Tip: We like the ground floor to avoid steps due to ageing bones but upstair rooms have spas (downstairs...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This lovely B & B is close to Beaumont st which is full of wonderful restaurants, close to the entertainment centre and the wonderful farmers markets.
We have stayed at the lovely, modern B & B at least 5 times over the past 5 years and have never been disappointed. The rooms are spacious, modern and very comfortable and quiet with a lovely little balcony to sit out on with a glass of wine. The double spa and large shower are perfect and the queen size bed is very comfortable.
What makes this B & B unique is that all doors are secured by a press button system, Julie will give you the password number either via a phone call so you punch this in when you arrive. This gets in through the secure entry gate, the secure front door and your room. You can come and go when you like without disturbing anyone as the family lives in another part of the building.
Breakfast is lovely, fresh berries, yoghurts, muesli, sour dough breads, lovely bean, tomato and bacon on toast and ham and cheese croissant.
5pm is wine o'clock if you wish, lovely glass of wine or beer and a selection of cheese and crackers.
You can request a secure parking space but there is plent of parking on the streets.
We will definitely stay here again and I thoroughly recommend this Unique B & B

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We both had our reservations about staying in a B&B but this B&B sure impressed us. When we arrived we were asked if we wanted a glass of wine or beer as well as a cheese platter. We drove up for one night stay to put our not so comfortable car in a car show with prior warning, they even allowed us to use their lock up garage for the night, we know where we are staying next year for the annual event. The owners could not have been friendlier but also knew when to leave us to our own devices to polish car and read down stairs in the lounge. As for the room we had a spa room, the bathroom had good lighting above the mirror for make up application, excellent lighting above the spa, a very clean room, comfy bed, tv and dvd player as well as small fridge, what more could we want. We had to leave early in the morning so we didnt stay for breakfast, so cant comment on that. Overall a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stellaluna45
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here as I was unable to book into my usual Newcastle motel. A very new, modern bed and breakfast that is both very clean and close to Beaumont Street. The bed was reasonable comfortable but the bar fridge was quite noisy during the night and kept me awake. After a fairly bad night's sleep, I thought I would be fed a nice brekkie. There is no gourmet breakfast. The best thing you can order is a ham and cheese croissant which is not very tasty. This was very disappointing as they advertise (with photos) a gourmet breakfast. If my usual motel is not available again, I would probably stay at the Chaucer Palms, but it would always be my second choice.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 1!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family