“Very awesome!”

Chaucer Palms Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 28 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Went to Newcastle for work and stayed in Chaucer Palms for 4 nights - definitely a place I would recommend for anyone who is going to Newcastle. The spa room was clean and had nice layout. The spa was also amazing. It was winter but the floor of the bathroom wasn't cold (not sure what material the tiles were made of)! The lounge area downstairs was very comfortable - with a complimentary glass of wine, cheese, chilled-out music, comfy couch, it was the best place to be in the evening after work. A variety of tasty breakfast choices available too! The owners were friendly and chatty. Overall it was very awesome experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Travelling to Newcastle for work, I stayed here on my own and I was very happy I'd chosen Chaucer Palms. I felt it certainly qualified for the boutique tag. My room upstairs was extemely clean and comfortable, no tea and coffee in room but I had only to pop downstairs and help myself which made sense as it's a small and intimate B & B. The fixtures and fittings are of a quality not often found in hotels/B&B accommodation, very tasteful. I loved the bathroom fittings and my bed was very comfortable, a great night's sleep. Being so close to Beaumont St was perfect for me. It wasn't noisy at all and yet within a block I had a choice of eating places. I really enjoyed it and found myself wondering whether I could somehow leave the kids at home and bring my husband here for a weekend away! Cal James

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We have just returned from a night in Chaucer Palms B&B. We have stayed in many hotels, apartments and B&Bs and were very disappointed with our choice this time. Room was lovely and clean. The bed - a kingsize- had a gaping hole down the middle where the two kingsingles had been put together....not at all comfortable or romantic as you had to sleep on either side like you were in two single beds. The bathroom was modern and clean but with an open shower it is impossible to use the bathroom afterwards without getting wet feet as nothing stops the water from going everywhere. We had to throw the bath towels on the floor so we could use the toilet without getting wet feet! There was no ice tray in the little fridge or glasses in the room to use. There was no rubbish bin in the room, only a tiny one in the bathroom. There was nowhere to sit in the room except 1 chair by the door so you really had to sit on the bed. We couldnt contact reception/owners to ask about ice etc so had to phone them to enquire. We were not made aware of any other way to contact them. They were polite and accommodation was clean. We were offered cheese and biscuits and a drink after 5pm which was nice. We were in room 1,and felt there was little privacy with the dining room directly outside our bedroom door. After our extensive experience with accommodation we feel this was very well overpriced.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed here on a work trip for two nights and enjoyed my stay. The B&B is close to Beaumont street, there is ample street parking and it is very accessible to enter after hours with the code. The owners are friendly and offered wine and cheese on arrival and the place is very clean. The breakfast was made by Julie and delicious, completed exceeded my expectations.

My trip was booked last minute and I had a king bed with accessible (disabled) bathroom, the bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in! The room was large and there was a big desk for work. Would definitely stay here next time I am in town.

PROS: Central, affordable, friendly and GOOD breakfast
CONS: The only negative was that I could hear other guests have breakfast, but they said it was the only room left and other rooms are quieter.
OVERALL: Clean, comfortable and friendly - Would definitely rebook.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We loved it here. Julie was very friendly and helpful. We arrived after hours and we had no problems with accessing our room (upstairs) with the codes provided. The room was immaculate and the bed superb. My husband and I slept very soundly. Even though the room overlooked the street (and we were staying on a Wednesady night), there was no noise. Breakfast was delightful. We will certainly be staying again!

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Wow...what a great little find this is. It looks brand spanking new but it's actually a few years old. It's sparkling clean and very well set out. The owner is a delight who could not have been more welcoming or friendly. The room was lovely with big spa bath (which I enjoyed). And the bed was really plush and comfortable. Breakfast was a delicious continental style breakfast made specially and beautifully presented. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here because it was so close to the Entertainment Centre and were very pleasantly surprised at the modern clean comfortable accomodation! Julie is a very friendly host and served a lovely breakfast! I would definately stay there again if I went to another show at the Entertainment Centre!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple