Hamilton Heritage B&B
Novotel Newcastle Beach(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$150
  • Fitness center
The Gateway Inn(Newcastle)
Mayfield Motel(Newcastle)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfresh fruit compotedog friendly beachbeautiful breakfasta great place to stayclose to townthe gold coastcooked breakfastspa bathfollowing morningcomfortable bedminute walkcolinhostsaccommodationcbdcafes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was a great place to stay, very close to beaumont street. Definately a home away from home. The most comfortable bed, the accommodation was clean, very nice and helpful hosts. I will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Found this B&B after a search for reasonably priced accommodation as I was going to be staying in Newcastle on my own for the weekend to watch my daughter play Basketball. I wanted somewhere to come back to and feel safe but also to be able to relax and take some time out for myself. The accommodation was just beautiful - I loved the heritage feel and the gardens were just lovely. The breakfast menu was extensive and I enjoyed being able to sleep in, get ready and be waited on with a delicious meal. I felt very relaxed and everything I needed was provided. Lovely to chat with the host Colin. Would love to come for a visit one day in the future and bring hubby along next time. Thanks again!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Kimberley room and there was lots of light which I love. Loved the fact that the room had its own ensuite unlike lots of B&B's and this made the room feel even bigger.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Loraine, the B & B owner is extremely friendly and helpful. The B & B is ok to stay overnight especially if you are travelling with your dog. It is a bit old, however does the trick for an overnight stay...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knhAustralia
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We needed a stopover for us and our dog and being Christmas we didn't have a lot of choice - when I contacted Laraine - she was extremely pleasant and very happy to have a dog - very dog friendly - the house nice and very homely, which is fine if you are happy to share the home with other people and dogs - some people would not feel comfortable with this, but for our stay it was lovely to have a kitchen and balcony to sit and a backyard for our dog to have a play in. We were provided with a great breakfast menu to choose from, and in the morning we ate breakfast and left with very full tummies! Our hosts were very easy going and helpful where possible.

Room Tip: All rooms are in the house and seem to be similar - ours backed onto a bathroom - was pleasant - probably a bit too much furniture, but again, very homely.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2011

As this was number 1 on TripAdviser for b&bs in Newcastle I assumed it was excellent and unfortunately ignored the one negative review which unusually, in this instance, was the accurate and honest one We stayed here for only one night thank goodness.

Colin, Laraine's husband was very pleasant although we didn't see him much. The breakfast area was attractive with a kitchen and veranda. The only other guests with us seemed to be single gentlemen who Laraine said were there on business in Newcastle.

After we had checked in, Laraine said we were welcome to use the kitchen/dining area and that she had her own kitchen; as it looked comfortable we decided to make ourselves some tea and eat the food we had brought with us and not to bother going out. I picked up a couple of mugs from our room but noticed that they were very tea stained. When I went to the kitchen I found two clean mugs to use instead. Laraine noticed and asked me if there was anything wrong with the mugs in our room to which I replied that they were tea stained; her answer was that there is nothing much one can do with tea stained mugs. I also noticed that my receipt, which she had signed and returned to me, was quite crumpled and creased. On this 7 week trip to Australia we visited Tasmania for the first time and stayed in an early Georgian b&b sandstone house which was immaculate.

The breakfast was very good; the fruit salad Laraine prepared looked and tasted delicious. She was very helpful when we asked her how to get out of Hamilton and recommended that we visit the Hunter Valley Gardens on the way to Katoomba, but she commented several times that we weren't going to see anything of Newcastle. The b&b is in a quiet suburban road but our drive in to Hamilton didn't inspire us to explore Newcastle, even if we had had the time.

The bathroom, which appeared to be perfectly clean, was an extension added on by the present owners. The door into the bathroom used to be the front door. The second very small bedroom with bunk beds was also added on afterwards, so from our room one had to go through the bathroom to get to the second bedroom. I chose this b&b and the Grandiloquent room in particular because our daughter, who is in her 20s, prefers to have a room to herself. However the small bedroom was so unattractive and chilly that she chose to sleep in the single bed next to ours instead.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
hamhert, Owner at Hamilton Heritage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

We are saddened by your review. we do the utmost to give the best service and present our rooms well cleaned and comfortable. We provide adequate heating/cooling, why would you mess up the room and then take a photo and say it did not feel clean. We are not responsible for how guests treat our rooms and it seems unfair to post such a photo as the room did not look like that when you first arrived. The door to the bathroom was never a front door.
When you booked you were aware of the bedding configuration as we explain that the family suite has a smaller room off the bathroom with double bunks which is normally used by younger children.
The entrance to the B&B has always been the current front door since the house was built in the early 1900. We have tried to maintain the original feel of the home, it is Heritage and we and others who return many times love it.