“I was expecting better.”
Review of The Executive Inn

The Executive Inn
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
“I was expecting better.”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Pros - The location, the club next door was lovely, great food there. The bathroom was modern and spacious.
Cons-. The women on reception were rude and unhelpful. The room was hot and stuffy, it was also dirty. The curtains did not close properly so was woken at sunrise. Was hard to find from the road. Limited car spaces.
Major con - The $200 holding deposit. One week later and we still haven't received our money back.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank mynameiself

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I enjoyed staying here. I broke my journey and stayed at the hotel twice, and so got to see 2 rooms. Both were equally good.
The hotel is connected to a club, and thus gaming machines are available. This is not a plus in my view, and I found that all of the dining choices were in and around the gambling area. There are far better places to eat in Newcastle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mechanicsburg
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was in Newcastle on a business trip and my client recommended the Executive Inn. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay.
The rooms are comfortable and well equipped although I did miss the REAL coffee maker typical in US hotels. But the instant coffee they supplied was adequate until the real stuff could be obtained. Bed was comfortable, plenty of hot water for a shower, adequate TV channel selection. The only down side was the internet which, at AUD $59.00 for the week was a bit pricy and sometimes a bit slow. But it was adequate for e-mail and an occasional Skype call to the States.
Restaurant choices were excellent, from Hobart's (formal and excellent) through the Cantina (decent Mexican food) to the Patisserie (great sandwiches and salads, cakes and pastries to match).
There's also a casino, machines only, which was a bit noisy and crowded but may appeal to the casual player.
Parking is under roof and free to guests.
Oh, yes, and the front desk staff were some of the most pleasant and helpful people I've seen in a hotel.
Next trip into Newcastle, this will be my choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pulsefire
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My option is not good only from the evaluation of security staff creating a massive scene on not allowing 7 of us entry as we had been the the races...we are all around the age of 40 and the minute were dropped of by a bus at the clubs foyer we were told by 6 security guards that had not spoke 1 word to us that we were not allowed entry as we were too intoxicated...we were all shocked & disappointed as by 9pm we were all ready to have something to eat & call it a night...We were refused food or any entry at all in to this club...later that night we went for a walk to try to find something to eat and came across The General Roberts Hotel...what a nice pub,we were accepted with open arms but unfortunately we were to late for food...we had to catch a taxi to Hamilton and back to be able to have something to eat....I would NEVER stay at the executive inn ever again as the club facility's were the point of why we stayed...we were angry,verbal & in dis belief that we couldn't even have a meal...good on you The General Roberts Hotel you deserve all the credit not Wests...

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank NES555
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stay at this hotel alot whenever i am in Newcastle. Its not very far from the city yet you miss the city rush. Lots of eating choices onsite with a gaming casino (Only machine).staff are very friendly and its close to the Newcastle Jets home ground if there was a game on.Rooms are not bad...would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013
collaroy
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Just came back from a short weekend trip to Executive Inn New Lampton (Next door to Wests Leagues).
The spa rooms - which have a balcony and look over the pool are very comfortable and value for money.
I am GF and DF so the breakfast menu did not allow for this however I was offered GF bread and poached eggs that were cooked on the spot for me - so thankyou for the hospitality.

There are many restaurants to choose from and special rates if you stay a Saturday night.
We did not use the pool area as it was a little chilly this weekend but my grand children stayed there a few months ago and enjoyed this area.
I rang up at short notice as we were only going to stay one night and the receptionist was very helpful and organised for us to stay for another night and then reduced the rate when we arrived.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone for a short stay or stop over while in Newcastle.
It is about 15 minutes from Newcastle and Charlestown so you will need a car for transport.

Room Tip: Ask for spa room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Where to start describing this pathetic excuse for a hotel.
My booking was stuffed up and we were given a different room to what we had booked online and what we required. Complained to uninterested and rude front desk staff, with no resolution.
It was Easter, so could not just go to another hotel. Asked to speak to manager on no less than 5 occasions, every time I was told he wasn't in but assured he would call me... it never happened.
This is either incompetence, arrogance or gutless. Regardless, it is just damn unprofessional.
Our room was not cleaned on the Saturday.
There were no parking spots available on the Saturday night.
On the Sunday they cleaned the room but they left us with no towels..
When I complained, instead of sending some to us, they told us to go to reception to get them for ourselves.
The coffee and milk were not replaced either.
The pool is cold and outdoors (no cover at all)
Couldn't get to sleep till late due to noisy drunks walking by our room at all hours and was woken up by noisy passing cars and trucks (over Easter... hate to think what it would be like mid-week)
Food in the club (downstairs) is dreadful, no matter which area you try, just tasteless and overpriced. There is no entertainment whatsoever in the place (just pokies) and again the staff are rude and lazy.
We found the General Roberts Hotel next door which has much better food and decent, friendly staff.
Stay away; this place is the absolute pits. You'd be better off sleeping in your car.

Room Tip: Avoid it like the plague
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple