“Pretty Disappointing”

Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Dubbo
“Pretty Disappointing”
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Have to say I was somewhat disappointed in this place.

Start with the positives - good location for access to the Newcastle Entertainment Centre. About 6 minute drive. Usual assortment of takeaways across road at shopping centre and within easy walking distance for children (Maccas, Hungry Jacks, Pizza Hut etc). And it was clean. Sadly, that's about it for the positives .....

Upon checking in, the girl (seated straight ahead as I walked into reception) was unfriendly and unprofessional, and it appeared I was interrupting her afternoon by checking in! Bit of a disappointment but I tried to remain 'positive' and gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Got to our 'apartment' which was ok, not huge and unfortunately, was right near the front, which happened to face a very busy road. The traffic didnt stop all night. Checked the bedrooms which contained two kings. In the second bedroom, the king took up 95% of the room so there was minimal space around the bed, so we were relieved we only had one teenager with us.

Headed for the shower, which had NO DOOR - couldnt believe it. It was supposed to have a door, but it had been removed and clearly never replaced!!

Went to dress in the main bedroom from which the curtains had been removed and a cheap blind was all that covered the windows. Pity they had left the tracks in place and that the night lights outside pelted into the bedroom. Didnt really matter as we were awake anyway!

According to the map supplied at checkin, there was ample space to park cars, however,
it appeared that these 'spaces' had been filled in with new units being built, so we therefore had minimal space in which to fit the car in. As a result, and because we own a new car, I then tried to check if we could pay the extra $10 for use of the garage as there was very little parking space for our car. Garage not available. Not looking good!

So many negatives and at $165 for the night, we were feeling very let down. Unfortunately, after no sleep due to traffic noise, we were in no mood to give this place the thumbs up. Very disappointed and certainly nothing like the advertisements. I hope for their sake we got the 'bad' unit - Number 40. Perhaps we should have been offered a discount as well. Not happy and definitely wouldnt return or recommend to others, based on our experience!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Jude1163

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Very clean
Well appointed kitchen
Very spacious apartment
Great wet room with large spa bath
Nice pool
Very clean

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Port Macquarie NSW
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I stayed here years ago and was VERY impressed, so when we were looking to stay in the area again, I checked Trip Advisor to make sure it was still good. The reviews were less than enthusiastic and that worried me, but having been so happy last time I took the chance and booked anyway.

I have to say I am REALLY happy I did. The place is as good as ever and to be honest you have to wonder why those that wrote bad reports did so, because there is simply NO WAY they could have been based on a true experience.

For the record, the rooms are all beautifully laid out with cool tile floors and good air conditioning (on this trip the temps hit 40 and the rooms were still livable). There was a nice little enclosed outdoor area attached to the room and a spa bath in the bathroom.

The large screen TV and all the furniture are of a good quality and in good condition and the reception staff were polite and helpful.

If you are looking for a comfortable place to lay your head at night then this place is perfect and you can ignore the bad reports with confidance.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DavidH2000
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I spent four days at the executive villas in Newcastle ands I must say it was fabulous! I had had a long
journey in my travels where everything went wrong, so when I arrived at the villas the staff were very helpful and even ran down to the store to buy me some things I required. I thoroughly recommend them and will definitely tell my boss that this is where I am staying on my next trip down under!

• Stayed January 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I live in the US in Miami. Recently I had to visit Newcastle in Australia to attend my mothers furneral. This was a very emotional time for my family consisting of 2 adults and 6 children. Find affordable accommodation for our family is expensive. I google accommodation apartments in Newcastle and Executive Villas came up.

I phone and spoke to this extremely helpful lady by the name of Zoe. She help me decide to book a three bedroom apartment that could accommodate my entire family.

Then I read some absolutely horrible reviews on trip advisor. I quickly showed my wife. So we began phoning other properties. We must have contacted at least 15 other properties, only to find that these other properties were excessively expensive. One place wanting $550.00 pet night, no thanks.

We decided to call back the Motel and ask them why had people posted negative reviews. I spoke to another lovely girl called Amy. She advised me that some people who have written these reviews have unrealistic expectations, they are looking for 5 star accommodation but only want to pay for a 2 star property. There is a clash. Amy even told me "that a guest came to reception requesting a discount and if that discount wad not received immediately then they would place a negative review on Trip Advisor as they wanted to be upgraded like their friends were for free" I can't believe people could actually do this.

When we arrived at the property from a long flight from the US and a 2 hour drive to Newcastle, it was 11.30pm. The reception had already advised us by SMS our apartment Number and pin number to gain access to the apartment. We found our apartment, entered the pin number, we found a lovely three bedroom apartment with everything we needed, the sofa was made, the apartment wad clean, it even had a spa bath, just what I needed after traveling for so long. We only paid $185.00 per night for this apartment.

In the morning I walked over to reception and had the pleasure of meeting Zoe. I thanked Zoe for all her help.

I would like to personally thank the Executive Villas for making my trip to Australia an enjoyable one given that my visit wad not for pleasure.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone who is staying in Newcastle. As we found that we received Afforable, Clean, and welcoming accommodation.

Our family have decided that we will be returning to the Executive Villas on our next family holiday to Aus.

Ronald Kimpton

• Stayed January 2011
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Like many other people I too read the reviews. I was concerned but I was hopeful. I decided to call the Executive Villas to ask them about the negative comments. They advised me that they were not accurate at all.

When I arrived at the property i was greeted by the duty manager, Ms Zoe Read, she was most helpfully advising me were it eat and shop. I had booked a one bedroom spa apartment. It was brand new. Honestly, for the amount of money I paid, $135.00 this was the best valued room that I have ever stayed at.

I work for a very large multinational company. I recommended this property to our company's travel agent. Now when our staff stay in Newcastle we stay at the Executive
Villas Jesmond. Our company has in excess of 30,000 employees and our staff visit Newcastle weekly. We have not had one complaint from our staff who have been staying at this property.

Hence, my desire to write this review and put the record straight. My experience of the Executive Villas Jesmond was outstanding.

I hope this has helped you. Trust me, give them a fair go and don't pay attention to those negative reviews, that in my opinion are extremely over exaggerated as my experience was totally different, it was exceptional.

The property has been fully renovated and has brand new management. I found the new manager Ms Zoe Read was exceptional.

Also this property has been independently rated by AAA tourism, they gave this property 4 stars. They have certainly live up to my expectations. I have now stayed at this property 8 times and have booked another 21 nights with this company, future bookings.

Regards
Stevin Martin

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2011

It was interesting reading all the reviews. I wished we had read them before we went there last week . It would appear that we have all experienced the same things from this place,except we had a police raid to add to the experience,complete with police dogs , screaming girls and very drunk guys. Add to this, management being conspicuous by their absence .Maybe hiding? The noise continued through the night, but at least we managed to get some sleep. eventually. Checkout time is 10am on the dot,but at 9am the locked front door was opened by the cleaner asking when we were leaving,so do not prance around with no clothes on .Who knows who may appear! But 10 am is the time to check out or else you will be charged an extra $10 dollars. They also have a list of rules on the wall that says if you have a party you will be thrown out,no mention of fighting drunks being thrown out though. This was not the best place to spend the first night out of Newcastle hospital.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Greynomad72

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels