“My worst accommodation experience ever, no exaggeration.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jesmond Executive Villas

Jesmond Executive Villas
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Dubbo
“My worst accommodation experience ever, no exaggeration.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

The tone for my family's stay was set by the broken down car outside our unit which had flat tyres and had obviously sat there for weeks, also there were large construction works going on every day from 7am, so much for a relaxing sleep in. Then before we had gone a dozen steps inside the unit, we encountered the first of the dozens of cockroaches which were to plague us during our stay. After the first night, we asked for a fumigation while we were out, this apparently involved staff (not professional exterminators) using spray cans, because the result was a) there was no reduction in cockroach numbers and b) my *own* can of bug spray was taken during the day and was never replaced, despite promises, so we had no defence against the bugs the next night and one of my children awoke at 4am with a cockroach sitting on her arm. We requested, and finally received, a move to another room, which reduced bug numbers greatly, but not to zero, but then workmen were drilling into the outside walls of our new unit first thing in the morning. Needless to say, we were extremely relieved to be out of the place and I had only just received enough sleep to drive the 5 hours home without nodding off. In summary, an incredibly stressful experience at the hands of staff who went from defensive to dismissive as we raised these issues, as if they were somehow Our Fault. In my opinion, if you are looking to stay somewhere you will be treated like royalty - or even just where you will be treated with a minimum of human dignity and respect - this is not the place for you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank DubboTotem
Manager-Matthias, General Manager at Jesmond Executive Villas, responded to this review, May 23, 2010
Dear Guest,
I apologise on behalf on the Jesmond Executive Villas.
The apartment complex is fumigated every 3 months i'm aware the complex was fumigated by a professional pest control service in April. After fumigation the bug activity does usually spike for a few days before decreasing. After hearing your complaint management instructed cleaning staff to further spray the apartment.
The (Hyundai excel) car outside the apartment belonged to a guest who was staying in the 191 drive way. The car was onsite for 6 days and removed on the 7th by it's owner however did not restrict parking nor access to unit.
There is construction happening on-site from March - September 2010 this is to renovate and supply a further 30 apartments to the Jesmond site.
The Executive Villas works closely with tradesmen to be as least invasive to other guests as possible. I apologise that you found the experience stressful.

Regards Matthias Kocher
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Thai first
coffs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

Booked penthouse for special family occasion 2 months before.2 hours before told bad luck ,no penthouse you will be split up .No front desk so get the key out of front letterbox no 601.Tried 15 letterboxs before we found our key.Rubbish service ,customer beware.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank unclesmasher
Manager-Matthias, General Manager at Jesmond Executive Villas, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Dear Guest,
i apologise for the inconvenience and wrong doing to you and your family.
i would also like to extend my apology for the customer service that you recieved which evidently was not nearly informative or helpful enough. In the past 3 months we have introduced procedures and been working closely with marketing professionals to improve the check in system.

I appreciate that your checkin experience would have been frustrating, however i hope the rest of your stay was pleasent.

Kind Regards
Matthias Kocher

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Ashburton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2010

I booked with this company - Jesmond - for an apartment in December 2009. Travelling with my partner and 2 year old child, we arrived at our booked apartment only to find no way in. Phoned the manager, who said that we had been changed to another apartment. Despite having our contact details, we had not been told this. They didn't bother to leave a note at our booked accommodation to tell us what to do. I asked nicely if they would book and pay for a taxi to take us to the new accommodation - the manager (who told me he was a lawyer) really spat the dummy at this.

I've found Australians to be generally friendly and reliable but this company is useless - do not book with them.

The new accommodation was actually closer to my conference but was dirty, the aircon didn't work, and had bed linen which didn't seem to have been changed in months.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
8 Thank standoc
Manager-Matthias, Guest Relations Manager at Jesmond Executive Villas, responded to this review, May 14, 2010
Dear Guest,
Please accept my deepest apologies on behalf of Newcastle Executive Apartments. I understand that the property you stayed in was not The Jesmond Executive Villas, However is affliliated. I alone can't convey that Newcastle Executive Apartments is reformed although i believe this can only be shown by our actions in the future.

Sincere Apologies Regards
Zoe Read
adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

I booked & confirmed accommodation with this company in June 09 for Christmas. in late October I was contacted & informed that the house that I had booked was now not available. After receiving conflicting stories as to why the house was not available I insisted to speak to the Manager (he also informed me he was a co-owner of the company) He offered me a 2 bedroom sub penthouse apartment on the
Harbour foreshore called 'ADEENA ON THE WHARF' which he assured me would not change - I was also sent confirmation emails regarding this.
3 days before departure I rang & confirmed that the security code to the apartment building would be sent to me on the day of arrival via text message & that the promised additional bed & linen would be provided & be there when we arrived.
On the day of our arrival I received a phone call informing me that the
"House keys would be left in the letter box" ????? - When I queried this I was informed that we did not, in fact, have the promised apartment but had been placed (without consultation with us) in the previously 'unavailable' house - I WAS NOT HAPPY - we had had to hire a car due to the apartment being further away from where we wanted to be - the response from the
co-owner 'WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO? YOUR BOOKING HAD NEVER BEEN ADJUSTED - THE APARTMENT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!!!!!' Apparently from reading other reviews this is the standard catch cry of this unprofessional company.
On arrival at the house we found a plumber at work who informed us that the house had ongoing sewer & drain problems that he was trying to fix enough to see us through our stay - UNFORTUNATELY NOT !!!!!
On the first night we discovered:
- Multiple blood stains on the quilt cover of 1 bed
- Used tissues under one of the beds
- Mosquito infestation throughout the house - which left my son with bites all over his face & arms.
- Outside sensor lights that didn't turn off all night & shone directly into one of the bedrooms.
- Dirty dishes & pans in the kitchen cupboards.
- An ill equiped kitchen

On the third day the toilet stopped flushing & we had to go to nearby Darby Street if we wanted to use a toilet.
The drains blocked & we were unable to shower or use the bathroom or kitchen sink.
We contacted the company who sent over a handy man with a plunger - which was of no use (Did I mention that it took them over 6 hours to send someone - after I was told someone would be there in 30 minutes?)
UNACCEPTABLE
We were obviously unable to live like this nor should we be expected to !!! With this in mind I phoned the co-owner to inform him that we were going to vacate & thought it only reasonable that we should be refunded for the 2 days that we had left. The co-owner informed us that this was against policy & offered us another house around the corner
- After all our experiences we refused & informed him we would be looking into our legal rights his reponse - ' GOOD LUCK I AM A LAWYER '

BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY DO NOT BOOK ACCOMMODATION WITH THEM !!!!!!!!
They are unprofessional, disorganised & untrustwothy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank AdelaideSAgirl
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

My boss was going to a meeting in Wallsend which has very limited accommodation so I booked him into the Jesmond Executive Apartments which are only a couple of kilometers away. True to many other peoples experience He was put in a different place to the one I booked. The accommodation he was given was at the Adeena on King in NEWCASTLE!! If he had wanted accommodation in NEWCASTLE I would have booked accommodation in NEWCASTLE! Needless to say he was not very happy. Be very, very wary of this company I will NEVER use them again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Mildred1910
Buderim, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

Like so many other reviews, we too ended up miles from where we needed to stay. Going to a conference at the university, instead we ended up in Hunter st, and ended up a $30 trip one way, and over$50 from the airport. The apartments were well secured and in a good location, but the important basics were missing. We paid $10/head/day for a 'breakfast package'. The feral host went out and bought a loaf of bread, a jug of milk, vegemite, jam and corn flakes and said that will do you for three days! The room was ok, but the second bedroom was two bunks in a box. I slept on the couch. My colleagues stayed at another apartments even further out and her experience was far worse than mine. No internet or cable was a big minus. The room was very dark and it was a very noisy place, although convenient if you needed to be in the heart of town.. Pool was ok, but all in all too much for mine.
....find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Anth B
Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

I planned a girls weekend in Newcastle for my birthday, I wanted to book accomodation in Honeysuckle as we were going to a day spa in the city and out to dinner in Honeysuckle. I made a booking in August after looking at the accomodation on the website. I decided to book a room at Adeena on the Wharf and received an email confirming a booking for a 2 bedroom penthouse.
I rang a week before to confirm the booking and was really looking forward to the stay as the apartments looked brand new and i was advised we would be on a top floor.
However, when i went to pick up the keys i was advised that my booking was not at Adeena on the Wharf and that there were no apartments available there. The manager then interupted and stated they would put me in a different apartment block that was on the foreshore with views of the harbour. This is not what i was given, I was charged the same price as the 2 bedroom penthouse and given an apartment on a low floor with a view of the train line right behind the building.
When i called the manager to request a change i received the response"what do you want me to do?", an apology at any stage would have been a good start. From reading the other reviews it seems it is common practice for this company to book you into a beautiful apartment and then on the day produce various excuses as to why this accomodation is no longer available. I believe it is false advertising and will be taking my complaint further.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends