“The good, the sad and the unjustifiable”

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
New South Wales, Australia
“The good, the sad and the unjustifiable”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The hotel is basically a reasonable place to stay - central to what Newcastle has to offer with clean and spacious rooms and comfy king-size beds. Desk staff efficient and friendly. Also relatively inexpensive. I got a very reasonable internet deal that included a hot breakfast.
The 'sad' in my heading - and OK this might be pushing it - refers to the state of my in-room ironing board, or more specifically its cover, which should have been superannuated to the rag-bag long ago. Its elastic was so perished that it was more akin to a horribly mangled tablecloth. Ironing the shirts and strides required new levels of dexterity.
Worse, though - and one part of 'the unjustifiable' tag - is the $15 charge for parking on-site, which might be OK at a big city location where real estate is hyper-expensive ... but seems a bit rich for low-rent Newcastle West. Worse still was the internet access charge. Sure, it was free in the foyer but if you wanted to use the internet in your room it was $11/hour or $22 for 24 hours. That is not just unjustifiable, to me it is extortionate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank JElliot32
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear JElliot32,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed review. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms and the service of our friendly team. I am very sorry that the ironing board cover in your room was in such a bad state, and I assure you that we would have replaced it immediately if we had been aware of the issue at the time. We have ensured our housekeeping team have checked the covers and replaced any that have become worn. I certainly understand and take on board your feedback about the parking & the internet charges. The prices of the internet service are set by our provider, however we do always pass on our guests' feedback regarding this service. Thanks again for your constructive feedback, we will use your comments moving forward to continue to improve our service. We hope to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Guildford
Reviewed April 20, 2014

It's not worth for the money they charge.
dirty rooms, no proper cleaning of the carpets.
No ovens provided in the rooms
No parking charges included in the hotel cahrges.
Very poor quality TV experience....

1 Thank Zahoor A
Dear Zahoor A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I'm very sorry to read that you were disappointed with your visit. We do have microwaves in some rooms, which we endeavour to provide on request, and also one suite with a full kitchen and oven. I'm sorry that the carpet was not cleaned satisfactorily, and will follow up your feedback with our housekeeping team. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Duty Manager

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have been staying at Travelodge Newcastle for years.It is in a great location.The staff are polite and helpful.I love the personal friendly service.The rooms are clean and well kept. It is like a home away from home.The staff make every effort to make your stay enjoyable.It is close to shops and amenities.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. It's so wonderful to hear from our return guests that we are a "home away from home" & our friendly team make you feel welcome each visit. Thanks again for your comments & we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon!

Tiffeny Gregg
Assistant Manager
Travelodge Newcastle
+61 2 4926 3777
Strathfield
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The hotel is comfortable and the beds are good.
I am a regular visitor to the hotel and this is mainly because of the friendly staff as noted above, particularly, Sara who is always bubbly and makes me welcome. Also, a mention to Helen and Jody who are always very helpful during my stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Dominic S,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your review. It's wonderful to hear that our friendly, helpful team make you feel welcome each visit. I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to the team and especially Sara, Jodi & Helen. Thanks again for your lovely feedback & we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon!

White Rock
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I stayed at the travellodge Newcastle after a wedding, the staff were friendly & helpful on check in the room was comfy spacious & clean.
I went to have a bath & there was a build up of soap scum that was unsettling & the bed didn't have a top sheet, but they are my only complaints. The buffet breakfast was fresh hot and delicious and all the staff I met were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Dear Monique C,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I'm so pleased that you found our team friendly and helpful, and enjoyed your breakfast. Your feedback about the bath is very disappointing, and I assure you this has been followed up with our housekeeping team. This is not our usual standard, and I am sorry that we have let you down on this occasion. We hope to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle in the future!

Stanwell Tops
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great clean room with great service that you expect from Travelodge. Good food. Great deal from Chooseday specials. Always a great standard of service. Will stay again when next in Newcastle. Close to transport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Megan S, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Warwick E,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, I appreciate the time you have taken to do this. It's wonderful to read that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms, friendly team & the great value for money Travelodge offers. We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon!

Megan Stanley
Burra
Reviewed April 14, 2014

found the room we had noisy being next to the lifts and one side of the king bed was extremely sagged and uncomfortable. The ac unit was also a little noisy so did not get a very good sleep other wise not too bad.

Dear Kristy B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay. We appreciate the time you have taken to do so. I'm very sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of your room. I can assure you that this is not our usual standard, and will follow up your comments with our maintenance team. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle again soon.