“Standard 3-4 star experience”

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Most accessible hotel near the Newcastle CBD (Western edge). Stayed here because I needed reasonably secure parking and a decent but not overpriced overnight stay.
Turned up without a booking on a Friday evening and was pleasantly surprised with the bed and breakfast deal offered to me. Must have been a relatively quiet night for bookings.
As an extensive chain, you know what to expect from a Travelodge and this hotel did not let the international standard down. Rooms are relatively spacious and clean (including the bathroom).
Breakfast was a standard hotel buffet and couldn't complain about it or the service from the staff.
Hotel is located at the western end of the CBD so a walk of 10-15 minutes is required to reach the restaurant precincts at Honeysuckle Rd or Darby Street. Alternatively you could visit the leagues club over the road...
Parking is outdoors in a securely fenced lot

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SheepCocky
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear Sheepcocky,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed our service and found your room clean, comfortable & great value for money. The team at Travelodge Newcastle look forward to welcoming you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Newcastle

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night on business. At check in on 12 feb 8pm the female receptionist was efficient and friendly. I later rang her to request a late check out and again very obliging. The following morning we had the buffet breakfast which was good but nothing outstanding but suitable for hotels rating and price. I was surprised however when a female "boss"/employee walked into the dining room and demanded the restaurant staff "check the aircon is on 21 NOT 24!" And stormed back out. When I was getting my breakfast she rudely got in right next to me to get a coffee then later she walks in and dumps a DIRTY plate right in front of the tea and coffee making machine. Bad impression on her demeanour and way she openly treated staff badly. Not a good impression when the person I was with comments "wow did you see that woman, what a birch' as someone who also has staff she need management skills & MANNERS!

• Stayed: February 2014
Megan S, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear mixedtraveller,

Thank you for writing a review, I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. It’s great to hear that you found our team friendly and helpful. I was very concerned by your comments about breakfast & have followed up with the team members who were working on the morning you dined with us. After discussing with the team, I have identified the person you described and we are quite familiar with her, she is a conference organiser who was conducting a function at the hotel so I’m glad to say this was not one of my managers or team. I can certainly say that my team are very professional & polite which is why I was so concerned about your comments. It still does concern me that this can reflect on the Travelodge brand.
We hope to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Not many hotels make you feel welcome, this one did! We were driving to Queensland from Canberra and decided to spend the night in Newcastle. I googled hotels in Newcastle and chose to call the Travelodge. The rate seemed reasonable so I booked a room about 10 minutes before we actually arrived there. I didn't think anyone would be pleased to see us at 9.30 on a Friday night without a booking. Well, what a surprise we got! Jodie was so friendly and made me feel so welcome. It made such a difference, when you're tired the last thing you need is for the hotel staff to act as if your presence has cased them a great inconvenience. The next morning, Sara was just as welcoming even though we were checking out. Thank you both :) We would stay again because of your great service. The hotel room and facilities were value for money. We felt safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear LisaandAJ D,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay & found our team welcoming and friendly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass on, especially to Jodi & Sara. It’s always wonderful for the team to hear that their efforts are appreciated. We hope to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon!

Tiffeny Gregg
Assistant Manager

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Our stay at the Travelodge Newcastle was going to be nailed on 5 star rating experience. The check in/out was very easy, the reception staff were incredibly polite and helpful (nice good morning and a smile from the reception staff as we came out of the lift) and the room was clean and everything you would expect from a Travelodge.

All good right? Well no one area let things down a bit and that was the buffet breakfast experience. We arrived at the breakfast check in desk but weren’t on the list for breakfast included with the room. Breakdown in communication somewhere. The breakfast room is also quite small for a reasonable sized hotel which means at busy times it is hard to get a table. The staff in the breakfast area looked stretched to the limit and a little stressed. The food was a good standard however but they ran low on something’s and didn’t replace- the pastries for example. Also I had to hunt around for knives, spoons, folks and had to wait for a fresh batch of plates and bowls, I wasn’t the only one on the hunt for many things! Maybe we just got unlucky as we obviously went down at the busiest time.

If we stayed here again getting down to the breakfast earlier might be a good idea.

Other than that a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Megan S, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Dear seayork2002,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay with us. I’m so pleased to read that you found our reception team friendly and helpful and your room comfortable and clean. I’m sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience on this occasion. We endeavour to have the breakfast buffet fully stocked at all times however on this particular morning we have obviously let you down. I have followed up your comments with our food and beverage team and we will use this going forward to further train our team members and improve our level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We were here for four nights. Booking in seamless. Caught the public bus for $4.60 from the airport. approx 100mtrs from the bus stop. Great location. Across the road from Shopping Centre that has cafes liquor and supermarket and also there is a Maccas for morning coffees. Hotel pool is lovely and we enjoyed wine out on the chairs. Restaurant looked nice. We walked to Honeysuckle precinct and its restaurants each night - easy 15 min walk. Staff were helpful when I requested ice for spraining my ankle. Fire alarm went off at 3.15am due to someone spraying perfume??? But alarm also announced that it was all ok to go back to sleep after 20 mins or so.
We would definitely stay here again. The bed was so comfortable and the rooms really quiet. Location was perfect, especially as we got buses to Port Stephens, airport, and caught them into the sea baths. Great holiday.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear sparklesw,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to read that you so enjoyed our comfortable rooms, sunny pool area and the helpful service provided by our team. It sounds as though you made the most of our central location & enjoyed the many attractions Newcastle has to offer! I’m sorry that you were disturbed by the fire alarm during your stay, however this system is in place to ensure the safety of our guests and team, which is always our priority. We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Great staff, lovely welcome. Booked through Expedia and when we arrived they had a special for the same amount offering breakfast. They through in breakfast at no additional cost. The bedding was clean and fresh but carpet had clearly not been vaccumed as there was paper and bobby pins on the floor. Bathroom was not clean, disappointing when your own home is cleaner. I had read the reviews after I booked and wish I had of paid extra to stay else where, by the time I paid for parking I should have paid extra and stayed at the Chiefly or Novotel. Was a great location but need a car to see the sights that Newcastle has to offer. Breakfast was badly organised with not enough hot food to cater for the number of guests. I got over waiting for hot food so settled for some toast. I would not stay again. Would be a great hotel if the facilities were clean and updated.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca V

Dear Rebecca V,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay. I’m pleased to hear that you found our team friendly & welcoming. Like you, we expect a very high standard of cleanliness in our rooms, and I am so sorry that we have let you down on this occasion. Your feedback is very important to us, and has been followed up with our housekeeping team. We do have a twenty-four hour friendly reception team, and if we were aware of any issues at the time we would have certainly tried to rectify them. It’s disappointing to hear that the buffet was not stocked when you came in for breakfast. We certainly try to ensure that our buffet is fully stocked at all times, and even in a busy period, there should not be a long wait on hot food. I sincerely apologise for your experience, and have passed on your comments to our Chef who is implementing systems to ensure that this won’t happen again. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Newcastle in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Check in was smooth although quite surprised they charge $15.00 per night for parking which I thought was unreasonably. The hotel looks really old externally but the rooms are nice. The king size bed was comfortable. The fire alarm went off at 3.00am which was going for approximately 20 minutes which turned out to be a false alarm but in saying this it is better to be safe than sorry. Breakfast was ok we turned up at 9.30am which was approximately 30 minutes before it closed and the hot food had been sitting there for a while. Overall I believe this hotel is value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Postwoman,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay. It’s great to hear that your room was comfortable, good value and our location was convenient for you. I’m very sorry for the disturbance you experienced with the fire alarm during your stay. As you say, the alarm system is there as a safety measure for our guests & our team, so while it is very unfortunate it was activated, if it had been a real fire all the appropriate systems were in place to ensure your safety.
We try to ensure that our breakfast buffet is hot & fresh at all times, and I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy your breakfast on this occasion. We have passed on your comments to our Chef and we will use this to continue to improve our service. Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle in the future.