“Comfortable, affordable & convenient” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Hotel Newcastle

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable, affordable & convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Was visiting family in Newcastle and had the oppurtunity to book a room on a Saturday night for $99. Check in was fast, polite and friendly. I was able to park in the provided parking area for a small fee and could see my car from my room. Dropped our bags off in the room and was a little perplexed about the double windows. Our room was facing the street. Located next to a popular pub....or was it just the night we stayed?? it soon became apparent that these windows could block out the screams and yahooing of the people quite efficiently. Mostly though, the very comfortable beds really had me won over. Our room was clean, ok the one thing, if I had to look for a not so good thing would be finding a pink lipstick stain on one of the hand towels, as we don't wear lipstick I know it was not from us....honestly though, I just used the other hand towel.

The shopping centre across the road had a few shops where all basic requirements could be met. The travelodge was only a short drive to the Wests New Lambton where we met up with family and only a 5 min drive to the Broadmeadow Farmers Market.

We were so happy with our Travelodge stay we have just booked Travelodge in Hobart and will probably look for Travelodge accomodation wherever we stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear bhappytravller,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle. We really appreciate the time you have taken to do this. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the bed comfortable. I am very sorry that you found a stain on the hand towel, this is not our usual standard and I have spoken with our executive housekeeper to ensure this doesn’t happen again. I hope you enjoy your trip to Hobart & we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle in the future!

Tiffeny Gregg
Assistant Manager
+61 2 4926 3777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Gosford, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed with hubby and teenage son due to funtion we were attending at hotel. Had stayed here the year before and wasn't that impressed. Was pleasantly surprised this year. Room was a good size and clean and comfortable. Sofa bed was already made with extra towel. The queue at check-in was dealt with efficiently and both check in/out staff were friendly. Breakfast: A good variety, food fresh and hot and plates cleared regularly.
Definitley value for money this time round.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Megan S, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear 66Shazza,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your stay.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit. I’m glad you found our hotel to be comfortable & clean and our staff friendly and efficient. I will pass on your positive comments to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle soon.

Megan Stanley
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Solo traveler, visiting for business, one night. Sale price of $100 as a 'secret hotel'. I've stayed at the Travelodge a few times over the years (twice previously reviewed and another two times) so I figured the secret hotel details easily enough.

Check in/out: Quick check in and check out. Lots of capacity as a hub for functions/corporate/restaurant/etc

Room: Comfortable enough bed, average (not bad average, just average average) bathroom, good amount of space for a Travelodge. There were some significant issues with cleanliness/certain items in the room, some which I discussed with management during my stay and afterwards, and some which I didn't really want to think about and just slept... It may be an external contractor thing rather than housekeeping staff so wanted to keep my mind open.
Would have been nice for there to be power points on both sides of the bed, I could only find on one but to be honest I wasn't too keen on fishing my hand around in the dark spots where I couldn't see....

Food: I rarely order room service but did a few times on this trip. Had the T-Bone steak, was great actually. Highly recommended. Breakfast buffet was fine, about what I expected.

Other: Carparking is on site, combination of outdoor/indoor. The hotel is in a dodgy part of town, but I knew that already. It was closer to where I needed to be than Newcastle East, and it did the job. I'd recommend a room not viewing onto King Street - you may have a few carparks as a view, but it'll be MUCH quieter.

Overall: It is what it is. Great price, friendly staff, good room, just letdown by housekeeping on this occasion.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

stayed several nights from July 23. all I wanted was good pillows, strong hot shower & a hot breakfast, failed on all counts need new Bain Marie's. bed & room was very good though but only had a quick clean, a white cloth wipe over the roomsafe & a check of the hairs in the sink plug would quickly show shortcomings. job well done though with double glazed glass to keep out noise. close to shops & wharf bars/restaurants 10+min walk to most attractions. staff were very quick & polite at reception & to recode roomsafe. crown plaza & novetel is better option if you can afford it. the hall markings belong to the army jerks from singleton who run a muck occasionally on weekends.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear wok21a,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay.
I have followed up your comments regarding your room with our Executive Housekeeper as we have let you down on this occasion, this is certainly not our usual standard and we have used your feedback constructively with the team. As part of this we have done an audit of all our pillows & started a new replacement program. We were not previously aware of any issues with our bain maries, however have looked into this to ensure they are all fully operational.
It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the level of service provided by our reception team.

Tiffeny Gregg
Assistant Manager
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

we found this place on lastminute, secret hotel. $99pn including breakfast, but excluding internet and parking - I am wondering if another place would have ended up more economical with these included? From the outside I was not sure, but the staff were lovely. The hallways looked a bit seedy, the room, when we finally coaxed the door, was good, but nothing special but we had a king bed that was really comfy. We paid for the internet, but there was no desk and the cable only just reached to the bed to check the emails. Hoons doing burnouts on King St during the night were not funny, neither was the loud music until the early hours or the neighbours at the top of their voices at 3am. We arrived at brekky to find nothing in the hot options for about 20min. The staff commented that it was the greatest number of patrons they had ever seen, so perhaps they were caught out. The eggs were overcooked and rubbery, but the chippolatas were great. Variety was moderate. Overall, though, it was reasonable for the money spent

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mousey84,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I’m glad to hear that you found the bed comfortable and our team friendly and helpful.
I’m sorry for the noise you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately the street noise is somewhat out of our control, as we are centrally located in a busy part of the city. The hotel has 24-hour reception so if ever you have an issue, please contact our team so we can rectify the issue and ensure you have a pleasant stay. Your experience at breakfast is also very disappointing, we endeavour to have the buffet well stocked throughout each and every breakfast period. I do recall this weekend and we did have a large group inhouse that bombarded breakfast that morning so to speak. We weren’t organised enough and have used that experience to improve our procedures so that we will handle this better in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback from your recent visit, we certainly use this to improve our customer service.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge soon.

Megan Stanley
New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Took a Newcastle mystery on Wotif. Ended up here for a one night stay, a Friday night. Dined at Sienna Bar and Cafe, the service was good, bar area dull and in need of an upgrade. Bar service was slow. Dining, our meals were served in reasonable time, hubbies medium steak was more like well-done and my barramundi was lovely. The accommodation was comfortable, we had a few noisy guests arrive back on our level in the early hours. Room features were good, bathroom clean and in need of an upgrade. Breakfast offered a good selection. Parking charge was reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.

It was pleasing to hear you had a comfortable stay and your feedback in regards to the restaurant will be followed up with our Chef.

It’s our hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Rebecca Patterson

Relief Hotel Manager
+61 2 49263777
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Needing accommodation last minute I booked this on a wotif mystery hotel for $99 including buffet breakfast so I'm not complaining (although I did pay $15 extra for parking). This is your typical Travelodge not Hilton, room was nice and spacious with a little table and 2 chairs, huge comfortable king-size bed, shower over a bath, full length mirror (which sadly other places lack)...mini bar was over priced but you get that, bathroom could do with a revamp but it was clean and mould free....our room looked out to the main street and I never heard any traffic noise and being a Friday night never heard any nightclub noise either ( that comfortable king bed must of put me into a coma)..The area had all the fast food places within walking distance kfc, maccas, pizza hut, dominos, you wont starve if the restaurant's closed !!!!
Breakfast was ok, have seen bigger and better but everything a hot buffet breakfast consists of was there.. Reception were very friendly and extremely helpful on the morning of our departure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ellietia
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us.

It was great to hear you found the hotel suited your every need and we hope to have you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards,