“Basic, out of date and overpriced for a budget hotel”

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed May 25, 2013

About to have a very boring night. In Newcastle for working weekend. Here myself so planned on relaxing in the hotel room tonight but the TV doesn't work and may not be repaired until tomorrow. No wifi either. Old fashioned Internet cable does not connect to my laptop and there's a poor mobile reception in the room. Called reception and they have offered me a singular 'complementary' drink to have at the bar myself. Woopy doo! They will not change my room to one with a working TV. Def not worth $200 a night. Disgusted and v bored.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Yvonne G
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your recent stay with us.

It was certainly disappointing to read the issues you had encountered whilst at the hotel and I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the service received. This matter should have been resolved and a new room offered.

If you could contact me directly via the below details I would really like the opportunity to discuss in detail your experience at the hotel further.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for your feedback.

+61 2 49263777

Write a ReviewReviews (1,639)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was a mystery hotel through an online sight and I think it was a bargain! It was clean comfortable and included a buffet breakfast. The location is great and across the road from a small shopping centre.

I had dinner in my room and had a very nice Asian pork belly and cream brûlée.

Unfortunately I was right next to the guest laundry and a very considerate guest chose to ignore the signs that stated it was open until 9pm so around 10pm I contacted the front desk and was told the night manager was doing the rounds and would check it out. It stopped by about 10.30. I think if there is going to be time restriction then the hotel should lock the door at those times.

There really was no issue with traffic noise.

The buffet breakfast was very nice and had a good choice.

I would definitely stay there again especially if I could wing one of the online mystery deals again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments and it was so pleasing to read you had such a great stay with us here at Travelodge Newcastle.
We do look forward to welcoming you again to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team who will be thrilled to know their service made your stay memorable.
See you soon!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Having received good reviews from my colleagues, and reading mixed reviews on this website, I decided to keep my expectations pretty low. I was pleasantly surprised.
I stayed for 3 nights due to business travel. Check in was smooth: yes, they ask for a credit card to cover possible expenses, but this is standard practice these days, few places don't do it! I was placed in a room on the second floor overlooking Marketplace shopping centre.
The room was a good size, clean and had no odour. The rooms are not soundproofed, and my colleague said he had a lot of early morning noise on the first floor with tradies leaving for work: but other guest behavior is not really the fault of the hotel.
The bathroom a bit small but clean and functional. There was a bit of green around the taps, but this didn't really bother me. I noticed the hotel doesn't use chemical cleaners (they're trying to be eco friendly), and this is to be commended.
The bed was huge, I noted it actually was 2 king single beds locked together, but most importantly the mattress was comfortable, nice a firm, I didn't experience the usual mattress dip you find in other hotels.
The hotel has a nice bar and outside area to have a smoko, and offers charge-back to your room to pay on departure, which I loved. The room service menu looked nice and fresh and was reasonably priced, however there are better dining options in the area and short drive away.
They charge $15 per night for parking, and the parking lot is unusual and a bit tricky to navigate. The costs didn't bother me, as it's a business expense, but I can see why some would struggle with this cost.
The staff were absolutely lovely! Nightly I was coming down the outside area with a glass of wine from my room and never once was I told anything: the manager even offered to show me the way to exit the building out back after hours for my smoko trips! They always give you a smile and you can see nothing is too much trouble. On a few occasions I saw them handle difficult guests in a polite and professional manner. 5 stars for service!
On departure, I requested the parking bill separately for business purposes and this was done with a smile and no worries!
Overall, I enjoyed my stay, and will stay here again in the future when business takes me back to Newcastle!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Demonik,

Thank you so much for sharing such kind words about your last visit at Travelodge Newcastle on TripAdvisor.

It is always a great pleasure to receive positive feedbacks. I am very glad that you have enjoyed everything that we can offer. I will share your compliments with the team. I am sure these words will encourage us greatly.

Should we be of any assistance in making your future stays more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Apart from the great king bed, I did not like anything about this place. Upon checking in, I asked why the clerk just charged my credit card as I had prepaid the room. She was extremely rude and told me it was for things like movies, breakfast and Internet that may be incurred (this was $100 by the way). I told her that we wouldn't be using any of those things as we were only staying one night. But she was still so rude and treated me as though I was an idiot. Once we got in the room, it was clean but nothing special. There was a lipstick stain on the bedspread. Also, if you use the tv in your room, you can't change the volume up or down- the hotel have locked it! It's ridiculous! And the bathroom was do small the door would barely open as the toilet was in the way. All in all, I would never come back here to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Monique199016

Dear Monique,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us.

It was very disappointing to read that your experience with us was not memorable and I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologies that on this occasion we failed to meet and exceed your expectations. At the hotel it is our aim to make our guest feel welcome and comfortable and I will certainly be following up with our team members directly about the level of service received.

Monique, I would really welcome the opportunity to discuss in detail the issues raised and ask if you could please contact me directly at the hotel on +61 2 4926 3777 or via email tncc@travelodge.com.au.

Once again, thank you for your valued comments and I look forward to being in contact with you.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

For a budget hotel, we thought it was quite good. Nice location, and rooms were good. Did not have any problems with noise etc. Only drawback was the breakfast. There were far too many people having breakfast for the two staff members to be able to keep up with service and as a result we had to wait a while for the buffet to be replenished etc. But I thought that given the amount paid, the room and service was alright. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ozzietraveller,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving your valued feedback.
It was pleasing to read that you found our hotel suited your needs and we look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
See you soon!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Room was lovely and clean with nice modern Decor. My teenage daughter slept on a great sofa bed and our King bed was really comfortable.Some of the negative reviews written seem really undeserved-not sure what some people expect. I stay in a lot of hotels and this is up to standard for the price. The Staff are really friendly and helpful and we had a lovely buffet breakfast on Anzac day, which was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear pyeclan,
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle.
I am so pleased to read that you found our rooms to your liking.
Thank you also for your comments in regards to the service I will make sure this is passed onto our team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Newcastle in the future.
Kind Regards
Kristin Alderman
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here for a night to catch up with friends recently. Got a mystery deal through Wotif.com and paid less than usual for it. However, I don't really think this feels like a 4 star as it claims to be... 3 would be more suited. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the food in the restaurant was nice, however there was quite a lengthy delay before it was served, and we were the only people in the restaurant. Room was clean but looked like it could use a little TLC and my room was situated near the lifts which was quite noisy. The rooms also didn't seem to be that soundproof. Given I paid a cheaper price than normal, it was fine;however if I had paid the normal asking price - I would have been quite peeved.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suse N
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Suse N,
Thank you for your recent review of Travelodge Newcastle.
I am pleased to read that you found the pleasant and helpful and the food to be nice, however am disappointed to hear that the remainder of your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise.
We always appreciate guest feedback and I will share yours with our team. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Newcastle.
Kind Regards