“Just ticking the boxes to make 4 stars?”

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Australia
“Just ticking the boxes to make 4 stars?”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I think what most irritated me with our stay was the additional charges we had to pay for parking ($15 outside and not really secure), credit card fee, room service fee ($3) and internet access (only first 15 minutes free). These things do detract from the experience and really these days wifi should be like any other utility - free, if only in the foyer.

That said the staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was good. A small bonus was the free newspaper! The room was spacious however, could have been cleaner, particularly the windows. Room service was prompt and the food ok.

As it was Saturday night there was a lot of activity outside on the street and it was quite noisy until late.

Think 3 star, short stay, good for business during week? YMMV

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room with a view of the car wrecks!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wing6rider-Australia
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear wingriderAustralia,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle.
With regards to the parking it is not uncommon in Newcastle to charge for parking and our internet pricing is also in line with the other hotels in this area.
It was great to read you found our staff friendly and efficient.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Chinchilla, Australia
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed for 1 night and that was enough. Very spacious rooms but not that clean, especially the windows. You will need to ask for a top sheet and blanket when you arrive as they only have a quilt on the bed which is way too hot. The bar service was terrible, there wasn't any! The place looks tired and dull but the staff at the front desk were welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Janet B,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Travelodge Newcastle.
We do strive to maintain the upkeep and cleanliness of the hotel, so I will pass on your comments regarding the level of cleanliness to our Executive Housekeeper.
I was delighted that you found our team to be welcoming and helpful.
I have noted your comments in areas of improvement.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 2, 2013

With my initial thought of Travelodge as being a big motel, I was surprised with my spacious room with view and elegant environment. It is just oppositie to a huge shopping centre with supermarket. I stayed for only one night for conference, but would have certainly stayed there longer if required.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Andy1Won,
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review, we really appreciate it.
It was great to read you found the room to spacious and we hope you will stay here again next time you are in Newcastle.
Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Spacious room with comfortable mattress, but no top sheet - only a quilt which was too hot to sleep under - but the room too cool to sleep without a cover. It seems silly to have to crank the A.C. to a really low temperature in summer so you can sleep well. Location is fair - walkable within 15 minutes to some interesting places. Parking costs $15, room with a king bed was $119 without breakfast. Internet $11 per hour or $22 for 24 hours; 15 free minutes of wifi in the reception area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
The team at Travelodge Newcastle are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I would like to thank you for sharing this feedback with us.
I have passed your comments onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Hervey Bay
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The entire experience! The staff on check-in were polite but not very smart. I had booked and paid for 3 rooms; one for my husband and myself and the other two for friends. This was a gift so I did not want them to know how much I had paid. I can accept the hotel charging each room $100 as a holding deposit for the minibar but I was very angry to find out that on check-out they had actually made one of my friends (Mrs G pay for her room! This was rectified after a very heated discussion.

My other friends (Mr & Mrs D) found out a couple of days later that they had been charged for the room plus the $100 deposit. It took them several days to get their money refunded. I paid for all the rooms and stated that I was paying with a debit card but I was still slugged $6.66 credit card fee plus $15 for the carpark. I told the receptionist that I was paying with Eftpos but she said "too bad, I've put it through on credit". I asked for it to be refunded but she refused.

My main complaint about the hotel is that our rooms were not very clean. The hallway on my floor absolutely stunk; it reminded me of a damp hotel I stayed at in Singapore in the early 70's. The bathroom was not clean, there was long hair in the washbasin and in the bath/shower. I also noted that the skirting boards were filthy, especially by the beds and we found dead cockroaches between the bed and the bedside table. My friends (Mrs D) not only found dead cockroaches but had a live one on her phone when she picked it up. The receptionist just laughed it off and said there was no extra charge for them! We were not amused and I was even angrier when I found that Travelodge had not only taken my initial $429.30 deposit but also $450.96 on check out and it took a week several emails and phone calls to get the $429.30 reimbursed.

I will never stay at Travelodge Newcastle again despite receiving an email the other day offering me a complimentary breakfast and a bottle of wine on arrival It's not even a destination I would normally go to so it's an offer they know I wouldn't take up. I believe they should have given me a refund. This was supposed to be a celebratory night with old friends and it was absolutely spoilt.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Parisparadise
Dear Parisparadise,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle.
I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not the positive experience that we hope our guests have.
I would like to apologise for the misunderstanding in regards to the prepayment of the rooms. Each website differs in terms of how payments are processed and the particular website you used to book these rooms does not process payment – this is done directly at the hotel, which is why each of your guests was asked for payment upon arrival.
I encourage you and all of our guests to engage the services of the hotel’s Duty Manager if they are dissatisfied with any element of the hotel. This way we can address the issue immediately and ensure that you can go on to enjoy your stay with us.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Only booked one night, but would have certainly stayed there longer if required. The rooms were quite large, the bathrooms were spotless and the staff were super friendly. And the breakfast in the morning was superb! Nearby were a lot of places to eat out or take away as well as a 24 hr Coles, which was very handy! Staff were very knowledgable and friendly. Would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a good place to stay in the city. And it was only a really short drive from the train station!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jane M,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle.
I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be a handy location.
The team look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.
newcastle
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently for a family wedding and picked the hotel because of its location.The rooms were quiet,clean,comfortable and nicely decorated ,service and location were great.Reception was prompt and friendly.We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mareeNewcastle
Kristin A, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
The team at Travelodge Newcastle are so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the location and service great.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with this positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.