Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$118
$111
$144
$110
  • Fitness center
Novotel Newcastle Beach(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$148
  • Room Service
Rydges Newcastle(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$161
  • Restaurant
The Gateway Inn(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$121
Hotels.com
$150
$145
  • Fitness center
The Executive Inn(Newcastle)(Great Value!)
$114
$111
1,678 results
All reviewsroom was cleanshopping centreking bedcentral locationgood sizepleasant staycar parkingbuffet breakfastbusiness tripreception staffwould stay againaccommodationcolescbdmicrowaveeaterieswaterfront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I had a very spacious room which had a double bed. One small problem was that the toilet seat wouldn't stay up, but maybe that was only my room. This hotel was near a main street in Newcastle but I didn't find it noisy at night when sleeping. The walls are very sound, as I could not hear my television whenever I re-entered my room, even when I turned it up a bit louder (nothing excessive though). The Travelodge is situated across the road from a supermarket which is open 24 hours a day. The supermarket is part of a shopping complex and it is only a 10-15 minute walk from the hotel into the CBD. I was also able to walk to adjoining suburbs such as Hamilton and The Junction within half an hour. The staff had good knowledge of the layout of the local area as well as issues such as trains to Sydney and local shops and attractions.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2011

although this is a new hotel with clean amenities, i thought it was overpriced for Newcastle and also the rooms walls were very thin as I could hear the other person in the bathroom.

Location is good and central, however was no able to order room service during the middle of the day as they only opened it from 6pm and was absolutely starving as they utilize a cafe downstairs.

no issues checking in and reception were quick and prompt checking everybody in.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mazydee
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I stayed here for a night in May. What a dive. The corridors resembled a Contiki tour, drunken louts everywhere, used trays, people trying your door all night, clock radio alarm didnt work, a very tired staff who thought they were on a Contiki tour. 6am checkout and despite me telling them that the night before and on arrival, not close to ready to "process me" so I left the key on the counter and walked out.

Its not cheap, its not cheerful, its damp, dingy, cluttered, bombarded by traffic noise and the Maccas across the road and about 50 bucks over the odds.

No milk, no sugar, a dirty bathroom, its got nothing going for it. Its like time stood still circa 1985.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank 255100Vic
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The staff on arrival were unfriendly and unhelpful. we arrived late from the train, after phoning to tell them we would be late, only to be told "we will see if we still have a room"...this had been pre paid.
the rooms have very thin walls and we could hear conversation and television on both sides of us.
At 9.45 next morning as we were about to leave a knock at the door with atradesman asking us to leave so he could do maintanance.......

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cyberchick
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have stayed in hotels all over the world and on average stay in hotels for business at least 2 nights per week so it is quite an achievement for the Travelodge in Newcastle to be rated the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

First impressions of the hotel are that it is extremely dated and in need of a decent clean at the very least - but preferably a complete bulldozing, looks like something from the soviet era.
5pm Very cold night in Newcastle and the room was freezing so the first priority was to get the heater switched on, however it failed to work so I called the reception and was told to leave it for a while and it would eventually work.
5.30pm It didn't, so I called back and was told he would come and look at it.
5.55pm He didn't, so I called back and was told he would reset it.
6.15pm Still no heat and I'm starting to shiver. Called again and asked to be shifted to another room but the girl told me that the hotel was fully booked so I couldn't move (I would shortly discover that she was lying about this) but she would send someone up.
6.30pm A young guy arrived and agreed that it was broken so he went away to get the Manager.
6.40pm The Manager arrived and fiddled about with it for about 20 minutes to eventually conclude... you guessed it: it was broken! The miraculously the hotel wasn't fully booked anymore so he advised that I could shift rooms all I needed to do was phone them when my bags were packed.
6.55pm Called Reception to say I was ready and was assured that he was "getting into the lift right now with my keys"
7.10pm Call reception again - where is he? "oh sorry Sir I thought he'd gone, I'll send him up now"
7.15pm Handed my new keys (but no offer to help me move). Carried all my bags to the new room, stopping briefly in the hallway to speak to another guest who asked if I was moving because of the heating, he too was having issues and his mood was possible worse than mine by this stage.
7.20pm New room (just as scummy as the first). Immediately tried to turn on the heating... and what do you know - it too was broken.
7.22pm Furious call to reception demanding that they book me another hotel - only to be told 'we need the Manager to approve that and he's not here right now'.
7.30pm Walked out of the hotel feeling absolutely disgusted in every possible way. and checked into the Crowne Plaza. What a contrast.

This was the first of what will be a weekly overnight stay in Newcastle with my new role so I would conservatively estimate that Travelodge just did themselves out of somewhere in the vicinity of $18,000 revenue p.a .
Take my advice and avoid this dive at all costs.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank MrDBP
TNCCManager, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Thankyou for your feedback.

This is case of poor communication and a some lack of experience. Mine included.

This is my first winter at the property. The air conditioning and heating sysyem is actually fairly new and state of the art. Like all commercial systems they don't work like the units in your home. The heating system was working on the night of your stay. The rooms that we were in were heating 10 minutes after your departure. After the first room, the we gave the 2nd less time and spent even less in the third. It seems we didn't give the units enough time to 'warm up'. The is the lack of my experience I mentioned above. Had we left any of the rooms a bit longer we would of had success.

I was checking the equipment when I left to go upstairs. It was intention to check for system issues since we were apperently having problems. I was 100% devoted to working the issue highlighted by you. I am sorry this wasn't communicated to you better by my team.

I tried to call the mobile number you provided but it has numbers missing.

We would love for you to try the hotel again.

I hope you flu you had upon arrival is better now.

Kind regards