“3 out of 3 .... every course was great! Pity they tried to wimp on the discount voucher!”

The Locale New Lambton
Ranked #130 of 596 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised at our first visit to this happy and relaxed cafe. Good service, reasonable waiting time and very rare to be able to say that mains (we had the steak) were excellent, dessert gorgeous (waffles with caramel sauce) and cappuccinos also good. Pity that when we presented our Entertainment Book voucher of buy one main meal get one free that we were only discounted the desserts! We were finally given the correct discount but told it was only this once. Please honour your business commitments if you want to retain a good name. All up, the experience was good ..... worth going back.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Tried The Locale for breakfast today on my sisters recommendation. She regularly has breakfast at around 8.30am on a weekend here. We arrived around 10. It was busy. We order drinks and food together. We got our drinks 30 mins. Later...and our food took an hour. An HOUR. I had ordered an avocado on sourdough with olives and dukkah. I was do relieved to get food that I didn't realise I had received a different avocado dish. I had already eaten some but let the waitress know of the error as the prices were different. She was apologetic and brought 3 free coffee cards to the table, and also offered a sample of the dukkah version. I was frightened of how long this might take so declined. When my husband went to pay the bill there was a line up. They had lost the record of a tables order and were painstakingly re-entering it. More waiting. I hAve to say; small kitchen, tonnes of tables. Kitchen staff can't cope with the demands of a full cafe. They were excruciatingly slow getting food out. If it takes an hour to feed people you are doing something wrong. Improve your kitchen efficiency or get rid of some tables. Otherwise people are paying for a crap experience! Food was average after all this... My bacon was dry and over cooked. Positive: the fresh apple juice was a pleasant surprise. A lot to work on!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Over an hour for our ok food. Not the place to come on a Sunday if you have other things to do. Nice staff but obviously not managed right.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Menu variety is great, although some things are a little dear. Scrambled eggs are NOT scrambled. Look like they are whisked and then cook on a hot plate. Still tasty. Lots of chairs without backs. Not good if you have back problems. Very noisy due to concrete floor + it is always very busy. The outdoor seating is great. New extensions currently being built will be wonderful for the summer months.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

For the location this is a nice enough cafe to get what you want. The quality of the food is average but most basic things are on the menu. Word of advice, despite the menu stating "Shoestring Fries" check with your waiter they truly are. I have been here twice, and the first time i assumed by saying shoestring fries on the menu they would be, however thick steak style chips came out. I then asked the waitress "Are these the shoestring fries" thinking she may have mixed up our order and she replied "yes, they are" I then said "they seem a bit thick don't you think" and she said "yes, i suppose so" and walked off. The 2nd time I enquired prior to ordering and the waitress said she would make sure - and yes it was a different waitress. Morale to the story - despite the name check with the staff bc if you are like me, and really prefer thin fries to thick ones you will be disappointed!! Also FYI - take away coffee on the weekend I was told 15 min wait - ridiculous!!

1  Thank AK1028