“Sensational”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

The decor is not flashy, quite rustic. The food however is sensational. Very fresh ingredients, beautifully prepared and friendly, brisk service seals the deal. It is cash only, so be prepared. Prices very good. The only downside is it's not in Sydney.

Would love yo have this place close to home.

1  Thank ozrick33Sydney

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were really happy to find this place in Newcastle. It's well priced, the food is consistently good and the staff are lovely. There is a good mix to choose from, just not a lot of sushi if that is what you are after. Noodles, tempura and teriyaki all great. It books out really quickly, so you need to go early or book ahead. Service can be slow when they are really busy.

1  Thank ErikaH100
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We ate here on the recommendation of friends who raved about it. My partner loves Japanese and we decided to try here for his birthday. I rang at lunch time on a Thursday and they were just about all booked out for that night. But they squeezed us in.

Food was great, my partner ordered seconds as he was so impressed. Food came out quickly, was well presented, fresh and tasted fantastic. Real authentic Japanese.

Very quaint little restaurant that had a constant stream of customers. The outside eating area looks adorable. Staff were friendly and polite but a little bit run off their feet. Restaurant is BYO which is good, only downside was they did not have eftpos facilities.

1  Thank misstravellots
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Asa-don is maintaining its fine reputation for authentic Japanese food served with no fuss and enormous care. Because of its rightful popularity, I try to go early if it's a spur-of-the-moment decision, and the friendly, family attitude to customers is to try their utmost to squeeze you in. They allowed me to take a reserved table on condition that I vacated it before the customers arrived. That was fine by me and I enjoyed another superb meal at the restaurant. I hope ASA-don doesn't grow too quickly and risk harming its current fine reputation. A lot of Newcastle restaurants could learn a thing or two by eating here, such as passion for food and politeness to customers. Long live Asa-don!

1  Thank TrevorHall
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Based on it's TripAdvisor ranking I decided to book a table at Asa Don for my friends and I last week and I was very happy to see that their ranking is well deserved. The food was fresh, light, authentic and very well prepared and we left feeling incredibly happy with our experience. It is quite a small restaurant and very busy so I would recommend booking ahead. The only two downsides were that it took a little longer for our food to come out (but it was understandable due to the restaurant being full), and secondly we were seated outside which was fine but it was quite a cold night so possibly some heaters or weather protection could be added.