“Enjoyable evening”

Northern Star Hotel
Ranked #218 of 613 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Popped in here for dinner not knowing what to expect and were pleasantly surprised. Generous meals, good value, awesome atmosphere.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ordered the Wagyu steak which taken more than 45 minutes to cook & serve.
Even though I ordered "medium rare" steak with chips (should not taken more than 25 min to cook & serve)
When I asked the waitress, she was not happy and upset and returned back with snappy remark: "5 more minutes"
The steak arrived 10 minutes later (the waitress just dropped the steak without even apologizing) and it was undercook (rare) and was not a real "wagyu beef" at all!!

When I asked for the bill after I finished the meal, the waitress just told me to pay at the bar and I have to wait for another 15 minutes before the bar staff can help me.
When I asked for the receipt, the staff can't produced the receipt and became angry towards me. The staff even laughed at me for asking a receipt and did not understand the purpose for business meal.

I spoke with the manager after that and he did not seem to care much and blamed it on the lack of staff training instead and didn't apologize at all.

This is happening on a quiet Wednesday night with not many patrons inside the restaurant & pub.

Very very disappointing dinner and would never come back there ever again!!!

1  Thank Andre T
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Had the soft shell crab and for this 'Arresting deal' one can't do much better. Improved serving sizes and portions but the problem was it just simply wasn't as good as previous years. Right idea, disappointing approach with new recipe. Lots of potential, please don't go downhill...

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a late dinner in the large dining room of this Irish Pub. We chose it because it seemed good value and had several gluten free choices. The staff were nice but did not look very happy that night, the young lady behind the bar had just had her wisdom teeth removed, but not sure about the others! The lamb shanks are listed as gluten free but when ordered we informed that they were dredged in a little flour...so back to the menu again. My son chose the veal cutlet instead, but we were told that the gnocchi it was served with was also glutinous. Everyone was happy when we suggested substituting mashed potato. He enjoyed it immensely, as my younger son his risotto and I my Scotch Fillet (hmm, should that have been an Irish?). My gluten eating husband had the steak sandwich. The meals were generous, tasty and hot. Did not realise that they also have accommodation, but will remember for our next visit. Perhaps management can confer with the kitchen to get the gluten free choices sorted, but please don't take away any of the options! GF flour is easily obtainable and would be fine for everyone. Ireland is rife with Coeliac Disease.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stay at the Northern Star fairly regularly when travelling to Newcastle for work. I have to say I am reluctant to provide this review, for fear of it becoming too popular and not being able to get a room.

The rooms are immaculately clean and quite well appointed, with plenty of hot water. They are by no means flashy but extremely comfortable and very reasonably priced considering they've been recently renovated.

The restaurant is very good, if there is a down side it is that they do not serve breakfast (rooms have a fridge, kettle and toaster) but, you're on Beaumont Street, so there's heaps of great places for breakfast.