“A short bus ride into town, great facilities and very helpful staff”

and 1 more site!
Newcastle Backpackers
Melbourne, Australia
“A short bus ride into town, great facilities and very helpful staff”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at the backpackers with a few mates on a soccer trip in a 4 bed room. On arrival Anna provided us with every piece of information needed for our 3 nights in Newcastle, she was very helpful and friendly.
We had no issues with the cleanliness of the hostel and it's facilities, and loved the hammocks, swimming pool, pingpong table and pool table.
The hostel was easy to get to from the Newcastle airport($4.50 ticket on a public bus) and also right near the free bus service into town so there was no issue getting around.
We chose to book a wine tour through the hostel, unfortunately the bus broke down and the trip was cancelled but we received a full refund and had a great day exploring the town with some new friends that we had met on the bus so we weren't at all put off by the experience.
The atmosphere was good with friendly people from many different countries and after dark most people went out so we had no problem with noisy guests keeping us from sleeping on the nights we chose to go to bed at a reasonable hour.
Thanks for having us at your wonderful backpackers!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

An excellent hostel!! The best thing about this place is the people who run it, Anna is a wonderful host and I felt at home here straight away. The kitchen and lounge area is great, and the pool is gorgeous even though I never got the chance to use it as the weather was poor :( rooms and bathrooms are cleaned every day and they are spotless. And larry the dog is just the cherry on the cake! I will definitely be going back!!!

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night in October and would never return! The hostel was awful and needs to be knocked and re built. The facilities are very dated and aren't suitable for your average traveller. The toilets for example have no wash hand basins instead you have to go up the corridor into a shower room to wash your hands. The rooms are dark and dreary and felt very dirty.
When we arrived into our 4 bed mixed dorm the free beds looked as though they were slept in and the room was very dirty. In fairness to the staff they moved us to a double room which was slightly better. The kitchen area was horrible and dirty and because of that we didn't prepare any food there. It didn't help in morning there was a girl brushing her teeth in the kitchen sink!!
Aside from the hostel unless you have a reason to visit Newcastle - don't! We traveled the east coast and Newcastle was a stop we should have left out and continued the drive onto Sydney. There is nothing of interest to see or do, but each to their own taste.

All in all, we were very disappointed with Newcastle and the hostel. Never again!

2 Thank Sunchaser100

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stopped here end sept/ beg October. Found it to be spot on, we had private double room, which was huge, clean, shower room clean, staff soooooo helpful with advise on places to go in and around Newcastle, but also helping us plan our onward journey. Can't thank them enough. Lovely atmosphere, chilled out, but not too quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I agree with the other reviewers in that the staff were very friendly and helpful. Got picked up from the train station which is good in my jet lagged state, it's in a good location and the free bbq they do on Tues nights was a plus. However the property itself would not get any stars from me - it was absolutely FREEZING (even colder than outside!), and the pillows and sheets themselves were worn down and about as thin as a sheet of paper. I had to use one of my sweaters to cover the pillow as it smelled abit, and there were chocolate bar wrappers under the bed which never got picked up the entire time I was there. There was NO security whatsoever, I got given a key to my dorm only to realize that you don't need it as the lock is broken. There are two buildings, and the building I stayed at had about 10 rooms (each with 6 beds), and only one bathroom for everyone (I guess you could also use the bathroom in the other building??). There was no soap in the bathroom so bring your own. Kitchen was very foul, only a couple of damp towels and some very crusty pots. Apart from the outdoor bbq, I ate outside the entire time I was there. It was the cheapest place I've found on the internet ($185 for the week paid upfront), so I guess if you're looking to party and will only use the bed to crash then I'd say go for it. But I have definitely stayed at better (and cheaper) backpackers in other parts of Australia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Woolacombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

A lovely, friendly hostel with a warm atmosphere. Could do with lick of paint however the cleaning staff were exceptional. Two brilliant English girls and one Canadian made sure the place was spotless. They really knew their stuff and always had smiles on their faces. Their moto was 'A cleaners job is never done' and boy oh boy did they stick to that moto. Well done girls, top job. We salute you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I think the reviews for this place would be better if the price reflected the facilities.

Kitchen is small, toilets were disgusting and without a sink and the bathrooms very dated and unclean to the point that we didn't even bother showering before we left. Dorms were very dated and very cold - no heating and it gets cold in winter! Poor location with very little to do.

On the plus, the beds were comfy and came with a duvet. The staff also spread people out in the dorms so you won't be in a full dorm unless they are full.

We stayed here as had no choice with Greyhound buses. I think they get away with charging the prices they do due to being the only hostel in Newcastle.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple