“Somewhat disappointing.”

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Sydney, Australia
“Somewhat disappointing.”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Staff are very professional and service-oriented, very friendly. However, for the price that I paid, I expected better facilities. I must say that I was warned before booking this hotel that my friends preferred the Novotel in Newcastle, but I wanted to try the Crowne Plaza as I had never stayed at one of their hotels before. The breakfast they provided was also lovely.

Unfortunately this is where the compliments end. The bathroom did not have a fanned vent, which meant that steam from my shower misted the bathroom, and then after I opened the bathroom door, misted the rest of my hotel unit. The couch was very old, and the sitting space at the dining table was very cramped, although I did like how the power points were conveniently located on the table top. Internet was capped at 300 megabytes per 24 hours, they wanted to charge almost 30 dollars per day, so I couldn't download the file I needed from home for my business presentation. They have only valet parking, which would have been fine if they were not to have parked cars on the street; I would have thought a 28 dollar valet service meant that the car would be parked in a secure location overnight, what with my laptop and valuable business documents in my car.

There is definitely room for improvement, certainly for a 300 dollar a night stay, I would have expected quite a bit more.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the harbour. They are about to build a night club on the street side, so it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank loomingstorm
Erin O, Guest Experience Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this review, March 14, 2013

Thank you for letting us know where we can improve - I am sorry that all the aspects of our stay were not up to your expectations, especially since this was your first stay at a Crowne Plaza.

Good service is essential at a hotel, and I am pleased that you found our service the highlight of your stay. I do apologise that you found the living and work area of the room cramped - usually we receive positive comments about the layout of our suites.

Next time you stay, please contact us if you require a larger download limit for your room, we may be able to coordinate a larger package with the internet provider. As for the valet parking, all of our carparks are secure, requiring a hotel access device to exit from the carpark. When we retrieve your car upon your request, we park it directly outside the hotel or in the 5 minute zone next to the hotel. Perhaps this is where you saw your car once we had retrieved it from the carpark. I apologise if it seemed to you that it had been left on the street.

Erin O'Brien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stay at the Crowne Plaza last week whilst on business in Newcastle. From the moment I arrived I was greeted by a very friendly staff member, and every staff member I came into contact with during my stay from room service, the cleaners in the hallway and the vallet staff were the same which as a frequent traveller is all too rare.

The rooms was a very practical size and well laid out with a modern fitout. The location is great too and makes the most of the upgrade work being done on the waterfront area and there were plenty of good bars and cafes within a few minutes walk from the hotel.

On the whole a very impressive stay.

Room Tip: The harbour view rooms enjoy a great view, but I'd steer away from them on Friday & Saturday...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Erin O, Guest Experience Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review, we aim to make every guest feel welcome at every point of contact in the hotel. I am pleased to see that this made a difference to your stay.

Our suite style rooms are styled to suit the business traveller - it seems as though they met your work needs during your stay. With the Honeysuckle precinct next to the hotel, there is a convenient place for you to relax.

We look forward to seeing you next time - try Seasalt Restaurant for dinner and you can work and rejuvenate all in the hotel!

Norton Shores, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2013

we stayed harbor side and loved it! only one big ship horn blast was early in am, rest of time it was interesting to have. right on the boardwalk-easy for walks or runs, lots of good restaurants, cafes, coffee along the way and sights and sounds of harbor and channel; connects all the way to beach and lighthouse that is very scenic! easy walks to shoppind district. staff-outstanding, exremely helpful, very courteous. the breakfast was out of this world-ranks right up there with some of the best: variety, quality, cook to order, several juices, able to sit outside option. elegant room with plentiful space, comfy bed and sitting area. had weird window between bathroom and bedroom with cheap shade that was ineffective for making it completely private and allowed light through at nighht-this could bve markedly better, however this is the only and a minor negative. we had rides from friends and family, but understand parking can be an issue. can';t wait to stay here again!!!

Room Tip: deifinitely book the room with breakfast included. parking can be an issue. like the second floor, e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Erin O, Guest Experience Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you Gerald for your review - I am so glad that you found our service outstanding as we aim to provide five star service to make you feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time, to experience the world class breakfast!

Guest Experience Manager
Central Coast, NSW
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Don't get me wrong this place is great, staff very helpful and professional but booked weeks in advance, asked for a room on the top floor with balcony. Got the room on the 4th floor, a lot of the view blocked as we were on the end block, no balcony and we were over the back entrance. Noise from fisherman talking all night on the wharf and noise from drunk party goers from a wedding which was held on the Saturday night did not go down well, hence not a good nights sleep as we like the windows open.
Loved the action on the harbour with the ships and tugs busy, great restaurants nearby and a great walk from the Crowne to Newcastle Beach and back.
Poor old Newcastle town is run down due to the focus on the wharf precinct, which is really great.Would definitely go back but really would like a room with a baclony.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a top room floor and a balcony definitely with harbour views. Activity on the har...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review Coastie, we appreciate your feedback.

I can understand the preference for a balcony - with the hotel right on Newcastle Harbour. However, we cannot always fulfill this request. Most of our King Spa Suite rooms have balconies, so by booking this room type it is more likely that this request can be fulfilled.

We look forward to welcoming you next time - for your next booking please call us direct on 49075062 and we will ensure you get a quiet room and endeavour to accommodate your request for a balcony.

Sussex Inlet, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spacious room and very friendly staff.
Ideal location with views over Newcastle Harbour.
Wonderful harbourside walkway out front , lots of local restaurants
Tram stop at front door for interesting scenic tour by Lance who owns the Historic Newcastle Tram - well worth $15

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed here twice in two weeks for work and I had a great experience all around here. The checkin was great. The second week they even remembered who I was!

The rooms are nice. The beach location is great for a walk.

The breakfast has a very large selection and they even make omelettes. I had the French one with gruyere cheese and truffle oil. Yum!

Also, I had the rib eye steak on room service (twice) and was really pleased with it. It was honestly some of the best steak I have ever had. (The butter chicken was average, though, so it's probably about what you choose.)

Definitely would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our fourth stay at the wonderful Crowne Plaza Hotel on Newcastle Harbour and we enjoyed it immensely. Our room was one of the 4th floor Harbourside King Spa suites with a small balcony off the living room. We were fortunate enough to strike four days (Friday to Monday) of glorious weather and woke up each morning to a shimmering harbour view stretching from the marina at the western end up to the harbour entrance and Nobbys Head in the east. Each day we were treated to the sights and sounds of the working harbour with a procession of bulk carrier ships and leisure craft moving around the port. Early on the Saturday, the Royal Caribbean cruise ship 'Radiance of the Seas' slipped into the harbour, making a truly spectacular sight from our balcony. More spectacular was the sight of her departure at 9.45pm that night with all lights blazing and music drifting across the harbour from her upper decks. Just wonderful. Back to the hotel....the king size bed was very comfortable and the super size pillows just right for a great night's sleep. Breakfast in the Seasalt restaurant was pleasant with great service and a good selection of hot food, cereals and fruit. Reception and Concierge staff were friendly and courteous and attended to all of our needs quickly and professionally. Overall, my wife and I rate the Crowne Plaza Newcastle as one our favourite places to stay and thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing break in unique surroundings.

Room Tip: 4th floor harbourside rooms are the pick. If you can secure one with a balcony, go for it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick, thank you for your glowing review!

We are glad that you enjoy staying here as much as we enjoy having you with us. You definitely chose the best room to experience the Newcastle foreshore - a King Spa Suite looking out over the harbour.

We appreciate you recommending us to your friends and family as a relaxing hotel and destination. We aim to showcase the best of Newcastle to all new visitors - and help returning travellers rediscover it!

Guest Experience Manager