“Good location and attentive staff”

Crowne Plaza Newcastle
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was in Newcastle for several days of meetings and chose to stay at the Crowne Plaza. I am glad I chose the hotel -- it is perfectly located and the staff were friendly and responsive to guest needs. I had a room rate that included breakfast and internet, which was a great value as compared to a room rate where one purchased these separately. I booked a Superior Room, which was wonderfully comfortable, and overall was totally satisfied with my stay. If I return to Newcastle, this would be the only hotel I would consider.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Newcastle

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Well located on the harbour, easy to find, with lots of eating options and shops close by. I was travelling with a colleague and we both had clean, generous sized rooms with a separate lounge area. There was also a small kitchenette with the normal tea/coffee facilities and a sink, however there were no additional facilties such as cutlery, crockery or microwave etc. My colleague was caught out by this, buying a reheatable meal from a nearby eatery, assuming the kitchenette was equipped.

The mattress on the bed was comfortable but there was no top sheet - only a duvet - and I struggled to find a comfortable temperature to sleep. The breakfast buffet was quite good, albeit expensive, with eggs cooked to order and all the usual options. I've noticed a move towards "make your own juice" in a number of hotels lately - great idea, but the machines are so noisy - it really detracted from an otherwise relaxing setting.

All of the staff we encountered were friendly and efficient, everything was clean and relatively modern, and all up, this was a good choice for an overnight business trip to Newcastle and I would stay again.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Spent four nights here in a great room. Location on the waterfront is great, easy walk to a good variety of restaurants. Big difference obviously between rooms overlooking the street out the front, or across the river. I'm sure the river view is fantastic, but I had the street - and that's not worth looking at.

Internet is available, but uses the current standard Australian model of not just being time limited, but also limited in transfers. I used my own mobile Internet, as the price is not worth extra speed.

Had a car valet parked while I was there, and this is haphazard at best. There is very little space at the front of the hotel, so in the early morning and in the evening it becomes overwhelmed easily. If you can, plan to get in and out away from the peak times (when I am sure it is better, though I did not experience it).

From the selection of hotels my work gave me, this is easily the best I had to choose from in Newcastle, and it has a price tag to match.

1  Thank dvd_blah
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The location of this hotel is fabulous. 2hr max drive from Sydney CBD and set on Newcastle Harbour, ideal for a night away from the kids!!! Hotel is well equipped, staff very friendly and helpful and the harbour has a terrific walking path to beaches dotted with some great cafes/restaurants/bars.

Room Tip: Defiantly harbour front room the best
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Nice place, plasma/LCD TV's in rooms, on the commercial shipping waterfront. Staff friendly, resturant looks good although i dinned elsewhere, has their own (hotel chain) priority rewards program.

20 min free WFi, which is really annoying - why do that to customers when you charge prices like this, surely the internet should be complimentry.

The other thing i dont like is coke in the minibar, i want a cold drink at night and i have a choice alcohol, Coke or Sprite. I want some other cold drink that doesnt have caffine in it. Sure Sprite might be ok for one can but have something else for the other. Mix it up a bit, there is lots of space to do that.

Room temp adjustment will not go below 18 degrees which may indicate a problem for hot days - i know what these central cooling hotels do. Although it was fine for this stay as it was cold outside.

Did not use any speciial services. I would stay here again if someone else was paying.

Room Tip: Walk down the street to dine in a local thai resturant or catch a taxi to the other district.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank whitepointer
Reviewed August 9, 2012

great stay they really looked after us and we had a lovely suite on the harbour. The restaurant seafood platter was delicious - fresh lots of variety and even balanced with vegetables - a rare offer. lovely outlook from room and restaurant.
we found the valet parking prompt and friendly and helpful.
front desk went out of their way - definitely go back when in newcastle.

Room Tip: seaview is lovely
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank takename
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed in a harbour view room with queen bed. The view from the window is great, you can watch the tug boats on the harbour. The room was clean and the bed comfortable.

The valet service on the day we stayed was terrible, we had a long wait for the car - 30 minutes! no one apologised or even advised us that there would be a delay

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear MrsDeefer,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I am pleased you liked your room accommodation and delighted you enjoyed the view of the harbour. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience the unusual situation regarding our valet service caused you. I would like to assure you that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

I appreciate your feedback and hope that you'll give us a chance to serve you again in the future.

Joel B